Monday, May 21, 2018

Diamond rain may fall on Jupiter and Saturn

Posted on Thursday, 10 October, 2013 | Comment icon 14 comments

Jupiter could turn out to be a girl's best friend. Image Credit: NASA
The two largest planets in our solar system may be home to diamond rain and liquid diamond oceans.
The gas giants continue to offer up surprises as it was revealed this week that the conditions on these two worlds are just right to enable entire oceans of liquid diamond to exist.

Astrophysicists believe that lighting storms in the atmospheres of Jupiter of Saturn create particles of carbon which are condensed in to chunks of diamond due to the intense pressures they encounter as they fall. At even greater depths these diamonds would eventually condense in to liquid that would subsequently form a stable ocean layer.

While considered a rare and valuable commodity here on Earth, diamond can exist in vast amounts elsewhere in the universe. Two years ago astronomers discovered a planet fives times the size of the Earth which is believed to be comprised almost entirely of diamond. Other worlds with thick diamond layers, including one located 40 light years away, have also been found.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (14)

Tags: Jupiter, Saturn, Diamond

Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin on 10 October, 2013, 21:51
Comment icon #6 Posted by EtherialNight on 10 October, 2013, 22:30
@Pallidin; I'm with you on this one, thinking about the process that creates diamond in the first place, a liquid diamond sea just seems implausible. But then I'm not a scientist..
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 10 October, 2013, 23:05
I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage. Liquid crystals are a state of matter between an ordinary liquid and a crystal. Despite being liquid the molecules are still orientated in the same way as in a crystal. Hence this is not "liquified carbon" which would have a totally random molecular orientation.
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 10 October, 2013, 23:14
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 10 October, 2013, 23:23
Be nice Waspie... I clearly stated that I am NOT a scientist, thus a clear inference from my entire post is that it is just my opinion. Jeeze... I actually removed the passage you are referring to BEFORE you posted, however my point was valid. In science not all opinions are equal.
Comment icon #10 Posted by kannin on 11 October, 2013, 0:20
waspies always quick with the spank paddle lol ive learnt to not assume things in posts when waspies around XD This must be the planet where the Twilight vampires came from.... epic reply
Comment icon #11 Posted by Xanthurion2 on 11 October, 2013, 3:44
Alright, everybody grab a bucket.
Comment icon #12 Posted by patagonianhorsesnake on 11 October, 2013, 6:17
man, nature is consistently more amazing and strange than science fiction. i do want to read a novel or short story about liquid diamond miners working the seas of jupiter now, though.
Comment icon #13 Posted by woopypooky on 11 October, 2013, 10:04
Who cares? By the time mankind colonized other planets, the most precious material is O2
Comment icon #14 Posted by Sundew on 11 October, 2013, 20:49
I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage. What's next, ruby lakes and emerald springs? I'm no scientist, but this just doesn't make any sense at all. Wait... let me grab another beer and perhaps it will. Well, there is this:

It's official - Hitler really did die in 1945
5-21-2018
A recent analysis of Hitler's teeth has confirmed once and for all that he did not fake his own death.
Interstellar interloper found near Jupiter
5-21-2018
An asteroid believed to be from another solar system has been found orbiting the Sun in the wrong direction.
'Green needle' audio illusion emerges online
5-21-2018
Hot on the heels of 'laurel or yanny' comes another audio clip that seems to say two completely different things.
'Made in China' label solves shipwreck mystery
5-20-2018
The origins of a mysterious 800-year-old shipwreck have been determined thanks to a rather helpful label.
Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 2 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Density ball
Posted 5-9-2018 | 0 comments
Michael takes a look at a ball with some rather unusual properties.

Slow motion jelly dive
Posted 5-3-2018 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys record slow-motion footage of a person diving on to a large block of jelly.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA