Sunday, October 17, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Natural World

Fish leaps from lake to catch bird in flight

January 11, 2014 | Comment icon 12 comments

The fish managed to catch a passing swallow. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Lip Kee
Remarkable footage has captured the moment a fish jumped out of the water to catch a passing bird.
While the sight of a bird swooping down to catch a fish might not raise too many eyebrows, a research team filming an African lake recently caught on camera the peculiar spectacle of a Tigerfish leaping out of the water to catch a low-flying bird.

"The whole action of jumping and catching the swallow in flight happens so incredibly quickly that after we first saw it, it took all of us a while to really fully comprehend what we had just seen," said Nico Smit of the North-West University in Potchefstroom, South Africa.
The film will go down in the history books as the first time a freshwater fish has been recorded jumping out of the water to catch a bird in flight.

Source: Nature.com | Comments (12)

Comment icon #3 Posted by Harte 8 years ago
That's definitely payback being a b****. Harte
Comment icon #4 Posted by Technocrat 8 years ago
Yes, indeed, it's usually the other way around. Absolutely remarkable.
Comment icon #5 Posted by lightly 8 years ago
(couldn't watch the vid right now but ) .. I'll bet the birds fly along the surface of the water to catch bugs on the surface or hovering there... those fish got hip to it a long time ago. I'll also bet those fish are used to eating other birds too ... baby ducks and such? I've seen baby ducks get snatched by big pike before !
Comment icon #6 Posted by drewiduk 8 years ago
I saw that pelican eat the pigeon, it was in st james' park, random thing was, it was the first sighting of a pelican in London. Does anyone know what species of fish this was in the video?
Comment icon #7 Posted by tendo 8 years ago
The music on this video is the worst. The video is pretty sweet, though.
Comment icon #8 Posted by DieChecker 8 years ago
Comment icon #9 Posted by White Crane Feather 8 years ago
hahahah if its real I bet the bird got away.
Comment icon #10 Posted by White Crane Feather 8 years ago
The music on this video is the worst. The video is pretty sweet, though. Whooooooowww. good banjo rhythms? hmph.....I like them so much I have considered taking up the instrument.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Harry_Dresden 8 years ago
Comment icon #12 Posted by psyche101 8 years ago
There are also those French catfish that leap onto the beach to catch pigeons. But, catching a swallow on the wing seems harder to me. They are amazing. I have seen a video of a Turtle taking a Pigeon too. Vicious place the animal kingdom. I think the most amazing thing I have seen is the flash frozen fish in the other thread. Holy chit...this is a tigerfish...and if I'm not mistaken the guy posing with the fish is the dude from river monsters. One of them, there are some pics on the net where he has an even meaner specimen in hand. I do like that show.