Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Fish leaps from lake to catch bird in flight

Posted on Saturday, 11 January, 2014 | Comment icon 12 comments

The fish managed to catch a passing swallow. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Lip Kee
Remarkable footage has captured the moment a fish jumped out of the water to catch a passing bird.
While the sight of a bird swooping down to catch a fish might not raise too many eyebrows, a research team filming an African lake recently caught on camera the peculiar spectacle of a Tigerfish leaping out of the water to catch a low-flying bird.

"The whole action of jumping and catching the swallow in flight happens so incredibly quickly that after we first saw it, it took all of us a while to really fully comprehend what we had just seen," said Nico Smit of the North-West University in Potchefstroom, South Africa.
The film will go down in the history books as the first time a freshwater fish has been recorded jumping out of the water to catch a bird in flight.

Source: Nature.com | Comments (12)

Tags: Tigerfish

Comment icon #3 Posted by Harte on 11 January, 2014, 19:16
That's definitely payback being a b****. Harte
Comment icon #4 Posted by Technocrat on 11 January, 2014, 21:25
Yes, indeed, it's usually the other way around. Absolutely remarkable.
Comment icon #5 Posted by lightly on 12 January, 2014, 1:50
(couldn't watch the vid right now but ) .. I'll bet the birds fly along the surface of the water to catch bugs on the surface or hovering there... those fish got hip to it a long time ago. I'll also bet those fish are used to eating other birds too ... baby ducks and such? I've seen baby ducks get snatched by big pike before !
Comment icon #6 Posted by drewiduk on 12 January, 2014, 11:35
I saw that pelican eat the pigeon, it was in st james' park, random thing was, it was the first sighting of a pelican in London. Does anyone know what species of fish this was in the video?
Comment icon #7 Posted by tendo on 13 January, 2014, 0:48
The music on this video is the worst. The video is pretty sweet, though.
Comment icon #8 Posted by DieChecker on 13 January, 2014, 1:45
Comment icon #9 Posted by White Crane Feather on 13 January, 2014, 7:43
hahahah if its real I bet the bird got away.
Comment icon #10 Posted by White Crane Feather on 13 January, 2014, 7:46
The music on this video is the worst. The video is pretty sweet, though. Whooooooowww. good banjo rhythms? hmph.....I like them so much I have considered taking up the instrument.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Harry_Dresden on 18 January, 2014, 5:37
Comment icon #12 Posted by psyche101 on 20 January, 2014, 7:37
There are also those French catfish that leap onto the beach to catch pigeons. But, catching a swallow on the wing seems harder to me. They are amazing. I have seen a video of a Turtle taking a Pigeon too. Vicious place the animal kingdom. I think the most amazing thing I have seen is the flash frozen fish in the other thread. Holy chit...this is a tigerfish...and if I'm not mistaken the guy posing with the fish is the dude from river monsters. One of them, there are some pics on the net where he has an even meaner specimen in hand. I do like that show.

Demi Lovato discusses her new UFO TV series
9-27-2021
The American singer will be hosting a new unscripted show all about investigating the UFO phenomenon.
Reliable way to induce lucid dreams discovered
9-27-2021
Researchers have found that a common Alzheimer's drug can help to induce lucid dreaming more reliably.
Oldest human footprints in North America found
9-26-2021
Archaeologists have identified what are now thought to be the oldest footprints ever found on the continent.
Ghost with a bowler hat said to haunt Heathrow
9-26-2021
There have been many sightings of a ghostly figure in and around Heathrow airport over the years.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball