Friday, October 18, 2019

Sir Alec Guinness once witnessed a ghost

Posted on Sunday, 16 February, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

The actor wrote about encountering a woman in white. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Allan Warren
The legendary award-winning actor detailed his encounter in a recently published letter to his wife.
The letter was written by Sir Alec on March 23, 1984 and was sent from Bangalore during the filming of "A Passage To India". Well known for his roles in movies such as "Star Wars" and "The Bridge On The River Kwai", the then 69-year-old detailed a strange incident that took place one night when an unexpected noise woke him up.

"Last night I heard my bathroom door click open," he wrote. "I was immediately awake and called, 'Whatís that?' A very conventional white ghost appeared, an elderly... woman in grey white and heavily veiled. I couldnít make out her face. She moved... with dignity down the side of my bed and as I clicked on the light she disappeared."

The actor's official biographer Piers Paul Read stated that he hadn't been aware of the letter but knew that Sir Alec was known for being superstitious.

"In the Navy he also had a premonition about being drowned in an oncoming storm," he said. "I donít think he claimed to be psychic but he was open to the idea."

Source: Daily Mail | Comments (21)

Tags: Alec Guinness, Ghost, Paranormal

Comment icon #12 Posted by Duck33 on 16 February, 2014, 23:03
I felt a great disturbance in the Forum,.... I fear something terrible has been posted.
Comment icon #13 Posted by mesuma on 16 February, 2014, 23:13
Yeah he boldly went were no one had gone befo.........Ah crap.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Leonardo on 16 February, 2014, 23:25
You know, "I have a bad feeling about this", but you may be right. I will try and "search my feelings" to remember. There is no "try". There is do, or do not.
Comment icon #15 Posted by coolguy on 17 February, 2014, 5:01
Very cool I believe him why would he lie for
Comment icon #16 Posted by Duck33 on 17 February, 2014, 9:04
A lie isn't the only or more likely cause, he could simply be wrong...he certainly has the mind set for magical thinking He said: ĎAlec was quite superstitious... In the Navy he also had a premonition about being drowned in an oncoming storm. and being wrong.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Junior Chubb on 17 February, 2014, 14:50
Well we will bump into these ghostly things ourselves one day becaue... Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter
Comment icon #18 Posted by sam_comm on 17 February, 2014, 17:58
An important thing to consider with regard to his experience is that he was alseep when he heard his bathroom door click open. He immediately woke up. He then saw the ghost of an elderly women. Could it be that it was some kind of lucid dream he was into? Possibly. It is not unheard of. That is what is often refered to Altered State Of Consciousness or (ASC). That doesn't mean he didn't experience any extra sensorial perception, however. One could argue that this very altered state (if that is what he was actually into) could be the factor, the main cause in this case that makes onself dispose... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by JesseCuster on 17 February, 2014, 20:32
Very cool I believe him why would he lie for 1. Why not? People lie all the time for no good reason (I'm not calling him a liar, but the old "why would he lie?" when applied to witnesses of ghosts, UFOs, etc. is lousy reasoning and show poor judgment of human nature).2. Just because you say something that is untrue, it does not mean you are lying about it, you may simply be mistaken about it.
Comment icon #20 Posted by sam_comm on 18 February, 2014, 17:37
1. Why not? People lie all the time for no good reason (I'm not calling him a liar, but the old "why would he lie?" when applied to witnesses of ghosts, UFOs, etc. is lousy reasoning and show poor judgment of human nature). 2. Just because you say something that is untrue, it does not mean you are lying about it, you may simply be mistaken about it. At the end of the day, we weren't there so it's hard to refute or validate a personal experience of back in 1983. I guess it is easier to consider this account as a genuine ghost sighting for one who accept the possiblity that this phenomenon may b... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by MisterSuperGod on 5 March, 2014, 5:26
Very interesting, interesting indeed.

Horror fans to attempt record vampire gathering
10-18-2019
Hundreds of Dracula fans in Ireland are set to attempt the world's largest gathering of vampires next week.
New 'invisibility cloak' is remarkably effective
10-18-2019
A Canadian company has come up with a new material that can render large objects almost totally invisible.
Divers encounter incredible underwater 'blob'
10-18-2019
This remarkable object, which is believed to be a mass of squid eggs, was found in the waters off Norway's coast.
Government file details new thylacine sightings
10-17-2019
A recently released government document has revealed 8 new sightings of the 'extinct' animal in the last 3 years.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ