Sunday, March 25, 2018

Night-vision contact lenses developed

Posted on Monday, 7 April, 2014 | Comment icon 13 comments

The new lens will be exponentially smaller than traditional devices. Image Credit: US Army
Scientists have invented a working night-vision device that is small enough to fit inside a contact lens.
Previous attempts to produce working night-vision functionality on a tiny scale using traditional methods had proven ineffective because the technology could only absorb a small percentage of the light. To get around this problem, scientists at the University of Michigan went back to the drawing board and developed a whole new way to detect light.

"The challenge for the current generation of graphene-based detectors is that their sensitivity is typically very poor," said Professor Zhaihui Zhong. "It's a hundred to a thousand times lower than what a commercial device would require."

The new and improved version of the detector uses two layers of graphene with an insulating barrier layer between them. By running a current through the bottom layer the device is able to realistically compete with the sensitivity of existing night-vision devices but on a much smaller scale.

"If we integrate it with a contact lens or other wearable electronics, it expands your vision," said Zhong. "It provides you another way of interacting with your environment."

Source: Sky News | Comments (13)

Tags: Contact Lens, Night Vision

Comment icon #4 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 7 April, 2014, 16:28
Thieves and poachers are gonna have a field day (or night in this case) if this becomes publicly available.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Calibeliever on 7 April, 2014, 16:51
I can see a lot of applications for this. It would be cool if they figure how to make it switch modes from light to dark so they can be worn in multiple environments.
Comment icon #6 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 7 April, 2014, 16:54
As soon as I can, I getting a pair. Wonder if they're preion...
Comment icon #7 Posted by Twin on 7 April, 2014, 16:55
Short of a perfect solution, but strong light problem can overcome by wearing a single lens.
Comment icon #8 Posted by maximusnow on 7 April, 2014, 18:12
I want them!
Comment icon #9 Posted by highdesert50 on 8 April, 2014, 5:31
Even Riddick would be envious.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Rogue Suga on 8 April, 2014, 5:44
Oooooooooh! I can't wait to get those!
Comment icon #11 Posted by ancient astronaut on 8 April, 2014, 15:48
Now I can catch those pesky aliens that have been eating my garbage.
Comment icon #12 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 8 April, 2014, 15:52
Now I can catch those pesky aliens that have been eating my garbage. I wouldn't bother them. That sounds like a environmentally friendly solution!
Comment icon #13 Posted by ancient astronaut on 8 April, 2014, 15:53
I wouldn't bother them. That sounds like a environmentally friendly solution! It's just the fact that they make such a damn mess.

Old Winchester Mystery House photo found
An old photo of what is thought to be the house's original foundation has been discovered in a local archive.
Military laser creates voices out of thin air
The Pentagon has been working on a new non-lethal weapon that can make people hear voices and sounds.
Curiosity rover celebrates 2,000 days on Mars
NASA's flagship rover has now been trundling across the surface of the Red Planet for more than five years.
Wreck of the USS Juneau found after 75 years
The World War II-era vessel went down in 1942 after being hit by Japanese torpedoes in the Pacific.
How smart are you ?
Posted 3-23-2018 | 3 comments
Does an IQ test really offer an accurate measure of a person's intelligence ?
Posted 3-22-2018 | 1 comment
A look at words that sound alike and are spelt the same, but that have different meanings.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA