Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Scientists invent zoomable contact lenses

Posted on Sunday, 28 July, 2019 | Comment icon 9 comments

What if our eyes had a zoom function ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Laitr Keiows
Researchers have developed a contact lens that can zoom in and out in response to certain eye movements.
The idea of being able to zoom in to a distant object using just your eyes has been explored in science fiction for years, but now a team at the University of California San Diego has actually managed to turn this concept into a reality thanks to a new type of robotic contact lens.

The technology works by detecting and responding to the "electro-oculographic signal" of the eye.

"Even if your eye cannot see anything, many people can still move their eyeball and generate this electro-oculographic signal," said lead researcher Shengqiang Cai.

The team hopes that the technology could also lead to the development of a robotic bionic eye.

"The system developed in the current study has the potential to be used in visual prostheses, adjustable glasses, and remotely operated robotics in the future," the researchers wrote.

Source: Independent | Comments (9)

Tags: Contact Lens, Eyes, Zoom

Comment icon #1 Posted by Seti42 on 28 July, 2019, 19:37
I'd really like to know how this could work without something physically moving in and out (like a zoom lens) on your eye. I mean, if it functions like an actual zoom lens, how could it work when placed on an eye like a contact lens? I could see a zoom lens implant, or zooming eye glasses, but not something that is worn like a contact lens...Unless its travel is less than 1mm...
Comment icon #2 Posted by Black Red Devil on 28 July, 2019, 23:32

Comment icon #3 Posted by docyabut2 on 29 July, 2019, 1:02
gosh wish I could get that in growing old, my eyes muscles now all see double visions:)
Comment icon #4 Posted by AllPossible on 29 July, 2019, 2:27
So you got Twice as many friends. That's why I drink, I always have a party around me.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Unfortunately on 29 July, 2019, 7:02
Imagine having technical difficulties with something like this? "ARGH! I can't zoom out!?!? WHY?!" "HELP, I'm stuck between zooms! EVERYTHING'S BLURRY!! "
Comment icon #6 Posted by Unfortunately on 29 July, 2019, 7:11
I assume it's more along the lines of adjusting the bend/thickness of the contact lenses in order to replicate some slight zooming capabilities. I'm not sure how it's been implemented but I'm somewhat doubtful of the effectiveness of the 'zoom'. Will have to find out more about these in future and see what kind of progress is made.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Susanc241 on 29 July, 2019, 8:58
My interpretation is that it would enable you to go from near sight to long distance, rather than acting like binoculars. But what do I know!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 29 July, 2019, 12:36
Voyeurism dearest
Comment icon #9 Posted by Seti42 on 30 July, 2019, 18:29
https://www.iflscience.com/technology/this-robotic-lens-enables-users-to-zoom-in-on-objects-just-by-blinking/ This article explains (somewhat) how the lens works. Pretty cool, actually. Although not capable of telephoto level zooming.

Man traces pop star from her eye reflections
10-15-2019
A man has been arrested after using a disturbingly simple yet effective way to track down a pop star's home.
Revisited: Ronnie James Dio's UFO encounter
10-15-2019
The late heavy metal singer-songwriter had his own experience with a UFO at his house in New Canaan.
$3,000 'Jesus shoes' sell out in minutes
10-14-2019
A bizarre new type of footwear inspired by the Biblical story of Jesus walking on water recently went on sale.
World's largest Ouija board unveiled in Salem
10-14-2019
A gigantic record-breaking version of the infamous spirit board has been set up on the historic Salem Common.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ