Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Scientists invent zoomable contact lenses

Posted on Sunday, 28 July, 2019 | Comment icon 9 comments

What if our eyes had a zoom function ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Laitr Keiows
Researchers have developed a contact lens that can zoom in and out in response to certain eye movements.
The idea of being able to zoom in to a distant object using just your eyes has been explored in science fiction for years, but now a team at the University of California San Diego has actually managed to turn this concept into a reality thanks to a new type of robotic contact lens.

The technology works by detecting and responding to the "electro-oculographic signal" of the eye.

"Even if your eye cannot see anything, many people can still move their eyeball and generate this electro-oculographic signal," said lead researcher Shengqiang Cai.

The team hopes that the technology could also lead to the development of a robotic bionic eye.

"The system developed in the current study has the potential to be used in visual prostheses, adjustable glasses, and remotely operated robotics in the future," the researchers wrote.

Source: Independent | Comments (9)

Tags: Contact Lens, Eyes, Zoom

Comment icon #1 Posted by Seti42 on 28 July, 2019, 19:37
I'd really like to know how this could work without something physically moving in and out (like a zoom lens) on your eye. I mean, if it functions like an actual zoom lens, how could it work when placed on an eye like a contact lens? I could see a zoom lens implant, or zooming eye glasses, but not something that is worn like a contact lens...Unless its travel is less than 1mm...
Comment icon #2 Posted by Black Red Devil on 28 July, 2019, 23:32

Comment icon #3 Posted by docyabut2 on 29 July, 2019, 1:02
gosh wish I could get that in growing old, my eyes muscles now all see double visions:)
Comment icon #4 Posted by AllPossible on 29 July, 2019, 2:27
So you got Twice as many friends. That's why I drink, I always have a party around me.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Unfortunately on 29 July, 2019, 7:02
Imagine having technical difficulties with something like this? "ARGH! I can't zoom out!?!? WHY?!" "HELP, I'm stuck between zooms! EVERYTHING'S BLURRY!! "
Comment icon #6 Posted by Unfortunately on 29 July, 2019, 7:11
I assume it's more along the lines of adjusting the bend/thickness of the contact lenses in order to replicate some slight zooming capabilities. I'm not sure how it's been implemented but I'm somewhat doubtful of the effectiveness of the 'zoom'. Will have to find out more about these in future and see what kind of progress is made.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Susanc241 on 29 July, 2019, 8:58
My interpretation is that it would enable you to go from near sight to long distance, rather than acting like binoculars. But what do I know!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 29 July, 2019, 12:36
Voyeurism dearest
Comment icon #9 Posted by Seti42 on 30 July, 2019, 18:29
https://www.iflscience.com/technology/this-robotic-lens-enables-users-to-zoom-in-on-objects-just-by-blinking/ This article explains (somewhat) how the lens works. Pretty cool, actually. Although not capable of telephoto level zooming.

Elon Musk's car completes full orbit of the Sun
8-19-2019
The first and only sports car to have ever been launched into space has now traveled 763 million miles.
Are near-death experiences merely illusions ?
8-19-2019
Some patients who 'died' for a short period have reported things that they couldn't possibly have known about.
Too much karaoke gives man a collapsed lung
8-18-2019
A man in China recently ended up in hospital after an evening of belting out songs caused his lung to collapse.
What did people think about aliens in the '60s ?
8-18-2019
Amusing archive footage has highlighted how attitudes on the topic of alien life have changed over the years.
A strange voice
8-5-2019 | St. Catharines Ontario.

House vibrates
7-20-2019 | Northern part of lower Michigan

Sudden writing on hand
7-20-2019 | England

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx