Thursday, January 23, 2020

Scientists invent zoomable contact lenses

Posted on Sunday, 28 July, 2019 | Comment icon 9 comments

What if our eyes had a zoom function ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Laitr Keiows
Researchers have developed a contact lens that can zoom in and out in response to certain eye movements.
The idea of being able to zoom in to a distant object using just your eyes has been explored in science fiction for years, but now a team at the University of California San Diego has actually managed to turn this concept into a reality thanks to a new type of robotic contact lens.

The technology works by detecting and responding to the "electro-oculographic signal" of the eye.
"Even if your eye cannot see anything, many people can still move their eyeball and generate this electro-oculographic signal," said lead researcher Shengqiang Cai.

The team hopes that the technology could also lead to the development of a robotic bionic eye.

"The system developed in the current study has the potential to be used in visual prostheses, adjustable glasses, and remotely operated robotics in the future," the researchers wrote.

Source: Independent | Comments (9)

Tags: Contact Lens, Eyes, Zoom

Comment icon #1 Posted by Seti42 on 28 July, 2019, 19:37
I'd really like to know how this could work without something physically moving in and out (like a zoom lens) on your eye. I mean, if it functions like an actual zoom lens, how could it work when placed on an eye like a contact lens? I could see a zoom lens implant, or zooming eye glasses, but not something that is worn like a contact lens...Unless its travel is less than 1mm...
Comment icon #2 Posted by Black Red Devil on 28 July, 2019, 23:32

Comment icon #3 Posted by docyabut2 on 29 July, 2019, 1:02
gosh wish I could get that in growing old, my eyes muscles now all see double visions:)
Comment icon #4 Posted by AllPossible on 29 July, 2019, 2:27
So you got Twice as many friends. That's why I drink, I always have a party around me.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Unfortunately on 29 July, 2019, 7:02
Imagine having technical difficulties with something like this? "ARGH! I can't zoom out!?!? WHY?!" "HELP, I'm stuck between zooms! EVERYTHING'S BLURRY!! "
Comment icon #6 Posted by Unfortunately on 29 July, 2019, 7:11
I assume it's more along the lines of adjusting the bend/thickness of the contact lenses in order to replicate some slight zooming capabilities. I'm not sure how it's been implemented but I'm somewhat doubtful of the effectiveness of the 'zoom'. Will have to find out more about these in future and see what kind of progress is made.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Susanc241 on 29 July, 2019, 8:58
My interpretation is that it would enable you to go from near sight to long distance, rather than acting like binoculars. But what do I know!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 29 July, 2019, 12:36
Voyeurism dearest
Comment icon #9 Posted by Seti42 on 30 July, 2019, 18:29
https://www.iflscience.com/technology/this-robotic-lens-enables-users-to-zoom-in-on-objects-just-by-blinking/ This article explains (somewhat) how the lens works. Pretty cool, actually. Although not capable of telephoto level zooming.

Strange black smoke ring filmed over Pakistan
1-23-2020
This giant ring, which was spotted drifting up into the sky, has been the topic of some heated debate this week.
New facility to produce oxygen from Moon dust
1-22-2020
A new technique could help make it possible for humans to live on the lunar surface in the not-too-distant future.
Elusive thief lives in grocery store ceiling
1-22-2020
Cops in Auburn have been struggling to catch a thief who lives in the rafters of the very store he keeps robbing.
Video shows 'ghost' watching man sleeping
1-22-2020
A peculiar video, which shows an eerie figure staring at a man through a window, has recently gone viral online.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA