Saturday, April 21, 2018

Pope Francis says he would baptise aliens

Posted on Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 | Comment icon 131 comments

Pope Francis during a visit to Brazil. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Tania Rego
The Pope has stated that the doors of the church are open to everyone - including extraterrestrials.
Pope Frances made the comments, in which he covered the themes of acceptance and inclusion, following a scripture reading yesterday.

Using the story of how Peter was criticized for contacting a group of Pagans during biblical times as an analogy, the Pope was keen to emphasize that in the event that we did come in to contact with beings from another world that they would be just as welcome in the church as anyone else.

"If, for example, tomorrow an expedition of Martians came to us here and one said ‘I want to be baptised!’, what would happen?" he said. "When the Lord shows us the way, who are we to say, ‘No, Lord, it is not prudent! No, let's do it this way’. Who are we to close doors?"

A similar concept was brought up back in 2010 by one of Pope Benedict XVI's astronomers who stated that he would baptise an alien if he was asked to do so.

"Any entity - no matter how many tentacles it has - has a soul," he said.

Source: Independent | Comments (131)

Tags: Pope Frances, Extraterrestrials

Comment icon #122 Posted by Frank Merton on 23 May, 2014, 9:07
I'm not sure being in the Goldilocks zone is of any special significance. There are so many other possible variations, such as chemistry and atmosphere and the fact that living things might be adapted for where they live regardless (withing limits). We don't really know what role if any our moon plays, but such double planets like the earth moon system are probably rare. Then there is how much water is present and if its enough for plate tectonics or whether or not plate tectonics is even necessary.
Comment icon #123 Posted by Rolci on 23 May, 2014, 23:37
I would be very interested in what they have to say on the matter too, if they have an account of a Creator in their culture at all that is. You can, if you only look and DISCRIMINATE carefully. Have you looked?
Comment icon #124 Posted by libstaK on 24 May, 2014, 11:19
You can, if you only look and DISCRIMINATE carefully. Have you looked? Where am I supposed to look? Are alien races posting their opinion of religion and a creator God on the internet somewhere I should know about
Comment icon #125 Posted by Giggling Panzer on 6 July, 2014, 16:32
This man is the Pope of my dreams!
Comment icon #126 Posted by Mr Walker on 9 July, 2014, 9:22
Where am I supposed to look? Are alien races posting their opinion of religion and a creator God on the internet somewhere I should know about Well I think there are few women postingon the forum. (whoops including you ) "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
Comment icon #127 Posted by libstaK on 9 July, 2014, 11:35
Well I think there are few women postingon the forum. (whoops including you ) "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein Say it isn't so - are you insinuating that women and cats are "aliens" Mr Walker
Comment icon #128 Posted by Frank Merton on 9 July, 2014, 11:49
Comment icon #129 Posted by Mr Walker on 9 July, 2014, 12:21
Say it isn't so - are you insinuating that women and cats are "aliens" Mr Walker Men are from mars; women are from venus. After 63 years, yes I would say that to a man, a woman is alien in body, but especially in mind If I had to choose which of the four are most likely to be aliens I would go with cats. Dogs think they are human. Cats think they are gods.
Comment icon #130 Posted by libstaK on 9 July, 2014, 12:44
Men are from mars; women are from venus. After 63 years, yes I would say that to a man, a woman is alien in body, but especially in mind Bah humbug - did you not drink your mother's milk when you were born? Women know what a man is really made of - men cringe at that level of insight. Dogs think they are human. Cats think they are gods. Meh, cats rule.
Comment icon #131 Posted by Mr Walker on 11 July, 2014, 9:12
Bah humbug - did you not drink your mother's milk when you were born? Women know what a man is really made of - men cringe at that level of insight. Meh, cats rule. I drank cows milk too. Humans can (and do) drink a lot of alien stuff. My wife can't read my mind. I wear an alfoil cap to make sure of this.

New species of 'exploding ant' discovered
4-20-2018
Capable of taking drastic action to protect their colonies, these ants have a rather unusual defense mechanism.
Missing Nazi submarine mystery finally solved
4-20-2018
The wreckage of one of Germany's most advanced U-boats has been discovered off the coast of Denmark.
Mutation helps Bajau people stay underwater
4-19-2018
In a rare case of natural selection in modern humans, the free-diving Bajau people have developed a larger spleen.
NASA teases plans for nuclear power in space
4-19-2018
The space agency will be revealing new details of its 'Kilopower' system at the beginning of next month.
Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Do fish talk to each other ?
Posted 4-10-2018 | 11 comments
Fish might seem silent, but in actual fact they make a wide range of different sounds.

The great Jaffa Cake debate
Posted 4-8-2018 | 4 comments
Revisiting the age-old question - is the humble Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit ?

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA