Saturday, August 13, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Ghosts & Hauntings > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Ghosts & Hauntings

Cabinet smashes on its own in auction house

September 18, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

How did the glass managed to break all by itself ? Image Credit: PD
A CCTV camera has recorded the moment a glass door smashed to pieces seemingly on its own accord.
The Barnsley Auction Centre in South Yorkshire appeared to have been broken in to this week when the glass door of an antique cabinet was found to have been smashed.

When staff members reviewed the CCTV security footage however they were shocked to discover that the cabinet's door had seemingly swung wide open and shattered all on its own without anyone else being present in the building at the time.

"It's all a bit spooky really," said owner Danny Parker. "The electrician had gone out for 10 minutes and locked the building because nobody was in there. When he got back he stepped on the shards of glass and had no idea what had happened."
Parker systematically went through all the CCTV footage from 16 different cameras in an effort to get to the bottom of the mystery but couldn't find anything to explain it.

"I've never believed in ghosts before but this has really spooked me," he said.

Source: Mail Online | Comments (21)

Comment icon #12 Posted by Paranomaly 8 years ago
It looks as if the cabinet is leaning forward slightly, look at the gap between the back of it and the wall. All it took was time.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright 8 years ago
I agree with most of posters here. Even though I'm not a skeptic, I really think it's the case the door swung open, (yeah, I too see the gap between the thing and the wall) and probably air pressure and possibly the age of the glass caused it to shatter. I also noticed that the shattering is not localized in one spot. I would think a ghost per say, would hit at one spot and then subsequential shattering. It just shattered all over at the beginning.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Quaentum 8 years ago
Nice piece of video Photoshop IMO. If you look at the line in the wall to the right of the cabinet. It has a ghostly line near it that precisely matches where the edge of the glass door appears, but the line is gone after the glass supposedly shatters. The door does not actually swing open but just appears.
Comment icon #15 Posted by O_neg_one 8 years ago
I don't know about the glass or the door, but the camera moves slightly, as if it is hand held. Do the cameras move or are they stationary?
Comment icon #16 Posted by quiXilver 8 years ago
I work in the film biz. Couple of squibs and any glass will shatter by remote.
Comment icon #17 Posted by DancingCorpse 8 years ago
All very plausible rational explanations that are fairly common place from time to time though pretty frightening, does the article provide any information on the building's history and known paranormal activity? You wouldn't think an auction centre would get much more influx from a story about a cabinet breaking, castles and pubs maybe, so not much reason to suggest they set up an elaborate hoax.
Comment icon #18 Posted by SSilhouette 8 years ago
A woman I know said that one day they heard their glass shower doors shatter. They ran into the bathroom the next instant to find the broken pieces of glass piled perfectly in a pyramid shape in the middle of the bathroom floor. She said a lot of other weird things used to happen there but I didn't have the chance at the time to ask the details of those.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Eldorado 8 years ago
'The owner of an antique store says itís been turned into a real-life little shop of horrors after ghosts started causing chaos. Daniel Parker said ghouls are smashing glasses and knocking over valuables in Barnsley Antique Centre in South Yorks.' http://metro.co.uk/2...e-shop-4909149/
Comment icon #20 Posted by Codenwarra 8 years ago
When I was a very little feller, I was taken to see the cars at a control point in one of the Round Australia Rallies. It might have been 1958. The windscreen of a Ford Zephyr (I think it was a Ford Zephyr) standing in the forecourt of a local service station shattered, nobody near the car at the time. I recall it was very cold. Some time back about 1968 the windscreen of my father's Austin 1800 shattered while it was parked in a garage. ?Probably both windscreens had been struck by flying stones but the effect took a while to happen. (? what is this and why is it here?) The building where I w... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by Karasu 8 years ago