Sunday, November 17, 2019

Controversial gaming device draws real blood

Posted on Wednesday, 26 November, 2014 | Comment icon 14 comments

The system could encourage more people to give blood. Image Credit: Jeremy L. Grisham
A system that draws actual blood when you take damage in-game has been suspended on Kickstarter.
Known as Blood Sport, the invention is designed to make the process of donating blood at a blood bank a little more interesting. The player would sit in a chair with their arm hooked up to the machine and as their character in the game takes virtual damage the process of drawing blood would be triggered.

As a safety precaution each donor would be limited to providing only the amount of blood that is usually drawn during a conventional blood bank visit.
The mechanism works by re-routing the signal sent to a controller's rumble feature when the player is hit in the game and sending it instead to the blood-collection machine.

The games used in the system would be predominantly multiplayer with participants facing off against one another as oppose to playing against an automated computer-based opponent.

The project had been receiving donations through Kickstarter until funding was suspended. As a result only $3,390 of the requested $250,000 goal has so far been achieved with 39 days left to go.

Source: CNET.com | Comments (14)

Tags: Blood, Gaming, Kickstarter

Comment icon #5 Posted by alfonso on 26 November, 2014, 15:24
unexplained mysteries? this is more like the 5hit published in the daily star
Comment icon #6 Posted by SpiritWalker7 on 26 November, 2014, 20:06
I would've tried it.
Comment icon #7 Posted by UFO_Monster on 26 November, 2014, 22:39
I prefer having medical professionals draw my blood. Not a machine that is more capable of committing errors.
Comment icon #8 Posted by stevemagegod on 27 November, 2014, 0:59
Why don't people man up and take Blood the natural way?
Comment icon #9 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 27 November, 2014, 2:01
This makes me laugh It's a good thing that this was suspended Most people are unaware of how many cheaters and hackers play games online and are quite capable of doing almost anything It would only be a matter of time before they hack the limit on the blood and drain someone, killing them Do you not realize that this device is hooked up to the regular machine that draws the blood? This is a localized machine, it's not something you buy and take home. It's just a novel way to donate blood.
Comment icon #10 Posted by MisterMan on 27 November, 2014, 2:02
This makes me laugh It's a good thing that this was suspended Most people are unaware of how many cheaters and hackers play games online and are quite capable of doing almost anything It would only be a matter of time before they hack the limit on the blood and drain someone, killing them LOL. Yeah, because after the cheaters have drained 2 or 3 pints from me, there's no way I could just pull the needle out of my arm. I'd never know that it's happening, because I would feel so normal.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Use your brain on 27 November, 2014, 4:14
I want this. Shut up and take my money Kickstarter.
Comment icon #12 Posted by highdesert50 on 27 November, 2014, 10:54
Reads more like a social psychology experiment in gullibility.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Mr Supertypo on 28 November, 2014, 8:58
this could be a good torture instrument...
Comment icon #14 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 29 November, 2014, 14:48
I suck at Call Of Duty...so this device would surely kill me in a jiffy.....

'Bigfoot screams' video continues to intrigue
11-16-2019
A recording of terrifying howling sounds coming from the woods of rural Canada still lacks a definitive explanation.
Could this video explain sightings of aliens ?
11-16-2019
A recently republished viral video on Twitter shows two 'aliens' in a man's attic - but not all is as it seems.
Prophet blames 'goblins' for spate of 10 deaths
11-15-2019
The surviving members of a family in Nyanga, Zimbabwe claim to have been tormented by malevolent spirits.
Is this the real reason the FBI raided Bob Lazar?
11-15-2019
Newly released documents have shed light on why the alleged former Area 51 worker was raided last year.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia