Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Long lost Sherlock Holmes story discovered

Posted on Saturday, 21 February, 2015 | Comment icon 13 comments

Sherlock Holmes author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Image Credit: Herbert Rose Barraud
A previously unknown short story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has been found hidden away in a man's attic.
The 1,300-word tale was part of a book of short stories that had been put together for a local event to help raise enough money to build a new bridge in the Scottish town of Selkirk after the old one was destroyed in a flood in 1902.

Conan Doyle, who was particularly fond of the town and its surrounding area, penned the Sherlock Holmes story as a contribution to the fund raising efforts.

80-year-old Walter Elliot, who had received the book around 50 years ago, only recently succeeded in finding it again while searching through some of the items stored in his attic.

"I have no idea how many they made and sold," he said. "I've had this book for about 40 or 50 years. I must have got it from a friend because I can't remember buying it from anyone."

"I have no idea if it has ever been published. I've always been interested in history and my family has always passed on stories and I suppose this was one of the stories that was passed down."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (13)

Tags: Sherlock Holmes

Comment icon #4 Posted by Still Waters on 20 February, 2015, 21:01
Awesome.. would be great if it was released for us all to read. It's in this link, it's a short story. http://www.telegraph...n-an-attic.html
Comment icon #5 Posted by ancient astronaut on 21 February, 2015, 19:07
Cool beans.
Comment icon #6 Posted by SpiritWalker7 on 21 February, 2015, 21:15
It's in this link, it's a short story. http://www.telegraph...n-an-attic.html Thanks. You're the best!
Comment icon #7 Posted by gailforce on 21 February, 2015, 23:00
i wonder how much publishing agancies are ofering that man right as i type now... really makes me think, my grandma used to have a old bible (about 200-300 years old) when she was a kid but they burned it as fire wood, i could have been so rich (actually my family did use to clear more than the mayor but my parents didn't think to invest any money, i really wish that the rest of my family understood finances, oh well maybe when i inherit the house i could try busting open a 500 year old vine seller (that used to belong to a nobleman that runed the city back in the days) with no entrance that's... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Harte on 22 February, 2015, 2:03
He could get paid well for the rare book containing the story, but Conan Doyle's Estate controls the copyrights to almost all his stuff. At least, in the US. Examine it closely, Watson. Harte
Comment icon #9 Posted by ali smack on 22 February, 2015, 14:44
Should make a tv adaptian of said story
Comment icon #10 Posted by third_eye on 22 February, 2015, 15:22
Bearing in mind the peculiar circumstances with which this pleasant turn of events has brought to light an adventure thought to have been lost , I dare say my dear Watson, if you would be as so kind as to fetch your firearm, we may have need of it again ... ~
Comment icon #11 Posted by IceBorne on 22 February, 2015, 16:33
Wouldn`t it be awesome, if Steven Moffat would use this story for his next Sherlock-Episode?
Comment icon #12 Posted by regeneratia on 23 February, 2015, 1:10
Wow this is interesting.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Brat Mc on 27 February, 2015, 17:24
Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Lost Script, wow sounds like a Sherlock Holm.....wait hold on!!

NASA unveils new Artemis spacesuit prototypes
10-16-2019
Keen to meet its 2024 deadline for returning to the Moon, NASA has unveiled its first new spacesuits in 40 years.
Visiting interstellar comet is caught on camera
10-15-2019
Astronomers have revealed that comet 2I/Borisov is remarkably similar to comets from our own solar system.
Man traces pop star from her eye reflections
10-15-2019
A man has been arrested after using a disturbingly simple yet effective way to track down a pop star's home.
Revisited: Ronnie James Dio's UFO encounter
10-15-2019
The late heavy metal singer-songwriter had his own experience with a UFO at his house in New Canaan.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ