Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Ghost tales surround historic Nigerian house

Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 | Comment icon 13 comments

The house remains a popular tourist destination. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Samuel Tobbytex007
The world famous first storey house in Badagry has seen its fair share of ghost stories in recent years.
The house's construction was initiated back in 1842 by early missionaries and was completed three years later in 1845. The building would go on to serve numerous functions over the next 150 years and was a place of settlement for returnee slaves as well as being a school and a vicarage.

These days the house, which is situated a short distance from the local museum, has become a popular tourist attraction and with so many people going in and out of the building it is no surprise that it has also become something of a hotspot for tales of a rather more paranormal nature.

Among the ghost stories reported by visitors to the house are accounts of otherworldly sounds heard within its rooms, especially at night when the sounds of slaves yanking at their chains have been heard as well as the haunting tones of the missionaries singing gloriously in the darkness.
Some visitors even claim to have seen apparitions - either of Rev. Henry Townsend, who laid the building's foundations, or Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the bishop who translated the Holy Bible from English to Yoruba while staying at the house.

Sightings of ghostly missionaries wandering the building's halls have also been reported.

Whether there really is anything supernatural going on there however remains a mystery.

Source: Daily Trust | Comments (13)

Tags: Nigeria, First Storey House, Ghost, Haunting

Comment icon #4 Posted by YA AMAR on 15 February, 2016, 15:31
For some reason I do not believe any information coming out of Nigeria. They got me one time, I had to send them 5000 dollars to help release some funds. I never heard back from them. They were supposed to send me back millions of dollars for helping them. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me again! Fool me again, Super Shame on Me! Fool me again, Super Duper shame on me! so on and so forth. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :su :su :su :su :su you really send them money ?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Aftermath on 15 February, 2016, 18:25
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 15 February, 2016, 20:13
For some reason I do not believe any information coming out of Nigeria. They got me one time, I had to send them 5000 dollars to help release some funds. I never heard back from them. They were supposed to send me back millions of dollars for helping them. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me again! Fool me again, Super Shame on Me! Fool me again, Super Duper shame on me! so on and so forth. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :su :su :su :su :su The old millions for 5 grand is right up there with the new phone scam using an automated message/voice synthesizer to claim you ... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by qxcontinuum on 15 February, 2016, 21:41
SCAM
Comment icon #8 Posted by Podo on 16 February, 2016, 18:31
Was the house lived in by a bunch of Nigerian princes?
Comment icon #9 Posted by evp on 16 February, 2016, 22:44
For some reason I do not believe any information coming out of Nigeria. They got me one time, I had to send them 5000 dollars to help release some funds. I never heard back from them. They were supposed to send me back millions of dollars for helping them. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me again! Fool me again, Super Shame on Me! Fool me again, Super Duper shame on me! so on and so forth. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :su :su :su :su :su You really didn't fall for this did you?
Comment icon #10 Posted by jamesjr191 on 17 February, 2016, 0:31
You really didn't fall for this did you?
Comment icon #11 Posted by Hudds on 17 February, 2016, 0:41
An alleged haunted property, perhaps in conjunction with their local museum for more tourism popularity.
Comment icon #12 Posted by jarjarbinks on 17 February, 2016, 12:31
For some reason I do not believe any information coming out of Nigeria. They got me one time, I had to send them 5000 dollars to help release some funds. I never heard back from them. They were supposed to send me back millions of dollars for helping them. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me again! Fool me again, Super Shame on Me! Fool me again, Super Duper shame on me! so on and so forth. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :su :su :su :su :su LOL this guy probably believe in big foot and ufo too
Comment icon #13 Posted by freetoroam on 17 February, 2016, 12:54
This is probably a load of poop. The article states, it "was a place of settlement for returnee slaves"; meaning slaves who were freed and repatriated So why would there be "accounts of...the sounds of slaves yanking at their chains"? Just makes no sense - just a cornucopia of ridiculousness. Absolutely. Just another SCAM and they could not even think this one through right......what is scary, is people believe it.

Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  To Love the Lord thy GOD....
  The reason for everything
  Wormwood Comet just hit us
 Space Exploration, Spaceflight and Astronomy
  Free moon flights in 2023
  The Hunt is on for Meteorites in UK
  Center of Mass
Space hotel could open its doors in 2027
3-2-2021
One forward-thinking company is planning to build and launch a rotating space hotel with artificial gravity.
Ornate Roman chariot unearthed at Pompeii
3-2-2021
Archaeologists have discovered a well-preserved 2,000-year-old chariot in the ruins of a wealthy Roman villa.
Argentinian titanosaur may be oldest ever found
3-1-2021
Palaeontologists have unearthed what is thought to be the oldest member of one of the largest dinosaur species.
Photographs of alleged live thylacines released
3-1-2021
Trail camera images of an alleged 'thylacine family' have been revealed, but not everyone is convinced.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball