Monday, August 15, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

Superhuman runner can jog 350 miles non-stop

May 14, 2016 | Comment icon 15 comments

Karnazes photographed at the 31st Marine Corps Marathon in 2006. Image Credit: US Marines
Dean Karnazes has a rare genetic condition that enables him to run continuously for days at a time.
The 53-year-old athlete is certainly no stranger to endurance running having competed in some of the world's toughest races including one which took him across the frozen wastes of Antarctica.

He has completed 50 marathons in 50 days across 50 US states and on one occasion even ran non-stop for a staggering 80 hours over a distance of 350 miles without stopping to sleep.

Karnazes maintains that his superhuman endurance can be attributed to a rare condition that enables his body to rapidly flush lactic acid from his system faster than it can build up.
"At a certain level of intensity, I do feel like I can go a long way without tiring," he said. "No matter how hard I push, my muscles never seize up. That's kind of a nice thing if I plan to run a long way."

Despite doing well at sports in school, Karnazes didn't pursue running seriously until he was 30.

"I don't care how fast I go," he said. "I care about how far I go."

Source: Mail Online | Comments (15)

Comment icon #6 Posted by Wickian 6 years ago
Comment icon #7 Posted by Habitat 6 years ago
Now that is a piece of genetic code that needs to be isolated, stored and become part of the standard package of genetic enhancements once that technology is developed. Maybe there are downsides, like you can't stop running !
Comment icon #8 Posted by seeder 6 years ago
Now that is a piece of genetic code that needs to be isolated, stored and become part of the standard package of genetic enhancements once that technology is developed. ever heard of the Tarahumara Indians? A recent National Geographic study (Nov. 2008) states: "When it comes to the top 10 health risks facing American men, the Tarahumara are practically immortal: Their incidence rate is at or near zero in just about every category, including diabetes, vascular disease, and colorectal cancer...Plus, their supernatural invulnerability isn't just limited to their bodies; the Tarahumara have maste... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by seeder 6 years ago
Are we born to run? Interesting Ted talk, reference the Tarahumara Indians.... short vid, good watch .
Comment icon #10 Posted by MissJatti 6 years ago
4 nights with no sleep
Comment icon #11 Posted by Habitat 6 years ago
Baby we were born to run
Comment icon #12 Posted by DieChecker 6 years ago
Comment icon #13 Posted by Habitat 6 years ago
350 miles in 80 hours is a little less then 4.5 miles per hour. Which is pretty amazing, but not a "sprint". That is a moderate jog. Perhaps he walked half and sprinted half..... It is pretty remarkable if true.
Comment icon #14 Posted by paperdyer 6 years ago
I didn't read the full article, but I guess he carried food and water with him? I also wonder about potty breaks. I can't believe he held his bladder that long.
Comment icon #15 Posted by qxcontinuum 6 years ago