Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Tales of the 'old hag' continue to endure

Posted on Tuesday, 11 October, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

An 18th-century depiction of sleep paralysis. Image Credit: John Henry Fuseli
A terrifying phenomenon known to cause paralysis and hallucinations at night is surprisingly common.
Have you ever found yourself in a half-waking state, either while falling asleep or waking up, and completely unable to move or cry out no matter how hard you try ?

Known as sleep paralysis, this distressing experience is thought to occur when a person is stuck in a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep. The inability to move is thought to be due to the muscle atonia normally induced during REM sleep to stop us physically acting out our dreams.

To make matters worse, some people also experience hallucinations while paralyzed which can include seeing an ominous figure in the room and feeling a strong sense of presence.

In some of the worst cases, this intruder can be seen and felt physically climbing on top of the helpless experiencer, resulting in a crushing sensation on the chest and difficulty breathing.

This particular experience has also come to be referred to as "old hag" due to how often the hallucinated figure is perceived to be an ugly old woman shrouded in black.

Fortunately though, aside from being terrifying, sleep paralysis in itself is generally harmless.

Source: Live Science | Comments (17)

Tags: Sleep Paralysis, Old Hag

Comment icon #8 Posted by coolguy on 12 October, 2016, 4:03
Old hag use to vist me
Comment icon #9 Posted by Lucas Cooper Merrin on 12 October, 2016, 6:08
Tell us more cool guy......what happened?†
Comment icon #10 Posted by Susanc241 on 12 October, 2016, 7:20
I have only ever had the one experience of sleep paralysis and I hope never to have another. Pretty standard with waking and not being able to move my upper body and though I tried to scream I was aware of this moaning sound coming from me. Had a huge black presence on the bed beside me and another at the foot of the bed to one side. Also the huge weight on my chest. I fought to get up and thrashed my legs as hard as I could to no avail. In what I presume to be no more than a few seconds or perhaps half a minute in total, I 'woke up' properly. The black forms vanished and the scream I had been... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by badtucker on 12 October, 2016, 16:18
i have had several in my lifetime... only one and possibly the 2nd most terrifying of them would i describe as a succubus. i remember it vividly, was about 10 years ago. started more or less as a sort of sex dream, then suddenly i was awake..there was a horrific creature on me, couldn't move... couldn't do anything... didn't want to look, just wanted to cry out but couldn't. the creature was pretty horrible, hair like long black straw, wrinkled grey/green skin... no face, but a long tounge from a mouth i couldnt see. jeeze was terrifying. but it all seemed over quicker than it felt, and i was ... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by Chaldon on 12 October, 2016, 19:09
Wow! It's all so weird and vivid, all those creatures, or at least black entities. I've never seen anything like that in my life, even in half-sleep. I suspect my domovoi (house spirit) loves me and never takes visible form. There never ever been anything visible, although in the childhood I've had a lot of horrible nervous experiences. The worst were the episodes of violent agitation and screaming at night in half-awake condition - don't know how this condition is called in English, in Russian for ages it was known as 'kriksy' (??????), but that's not an official medical term. To get rid of t... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Chaldon on 12 October, 2016, 19:20
I remember very well that when I had those 'kriksy' screams I was completely aware of everything around me and even was pretty cool-minded at the time but was completely unable to control my body which, like all by itself, wanted to run somewhere and screamed like in terror. It was really weird. I was 7-8 years old, I think.
Comment icon #14 Posted by XenoFish on 13 October, 2016, 1:51
Your luck would attract an incubus.
Comment icon #15 Posted by LightBright51 on 28 August, 2018, 15:21
Recently i had my first experience of sleep paralysis that i know of. Im 22 years old, & in the USMC. There was old women trying to get into my room, then my door opened, this whole time i was tying to wake up my pregnant wife, who was sleeping next to me, but I couldn?t my body was locked, & i could see the old women geeting closer, along with flashes of people in big boiling pots. & she was saying something to me which i cant remember right now, but her voice was very creepy and raspy. The moment was so real, And im trying to yell to my wife to wake up and run, but like i said i ... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by Chaldon on 28 August, 2018, 18:17
Sounds more like a case of false awakening. Your deion is completely implausible for a real event, even supernatural, and full of stereotypical ghost-story stuff. I think false awakening and sleep paralysis has something in common and often accompany each other, that explains why some people have hallucinations and others (like me), who's sleep is mostly superficial, never have those, as when the sleep paralysis begins it easily causes a full-scaled wake up, while for the others the brain begins to struggle between the sleep and the awakening. Another interesting aspect is that sleep paralysis... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Msoft on 1 October, 2018, 3:38
Iíve experience this several times in a life time. The most scariest time was when I was actually being haunted by a bad spirit after my dads death. I awoke to my tv being on laying on my stomach with my head turned and I could see a shadow figure of a man standing in my room. I tried to scream but couldnít. It was very scary experience of my life.†

CIA experimented with mind-controlled dogs
12-12-2018
Newly declassified documents have revealed the CIA's efforts to control dogs through electrical brain stimulation.
Factory spills liquid chocolate all over the road
12-12-2018
Firefighters in the town of Werl in Germany were tasked with cleaning up a huge chocolate spill earlier this week.
Dracula ant snaps its jaws shut at 200mph
12-12-2018
The animal with the world's fastest moving appendage has been revealed to be a tiny ant with a lethal jaw.
'Zombie' bacteria found deep beneath the Earth
12-11-2018
Scientists have revealed that an incredibly large amount of life exists in our planet's deep subsurface.
Humboldt squid takes a bite
Posted 12-10-2018 | 1 comment
A look at what happened when Steve Backshall met a rather large Humboldt squid.

Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

Progress launch timelapse
Posted 11-24-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the recent launch of the Russian Progress MS-10 cargo spacecraft.

The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York