Sunday, July 21, 2019

Tales of the 'old hag' continue to endure

Posted on Tuesday, 11 October, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

An 18th-century depiction of sleep paralysis. Image Credit: John Henry Fuseli
A terrifying phenomenon known to cause paralysis and hallucinations at night is surprisingly common.
Have you ever found yourself in a half-waking state, either while falling asleep or waking up, and completely unable to move or cry out no matter how hard you try ?

Known as sleep paralysis, this distressing experience is thought to occur when a person is stuck in a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep. The inability to move is thought to be due to the muscle atonia normally induced during REM sleep to stop us physically acting out our dreams.

To make matters worse, some people also experience hallucinations while paralyzed which can include seeing an ominous figure in the room and feeling a strong sense of presence.

In some of the worst cases, this intruder can be seen and felt physically climbing on top of the helpless experiencer, resulting in a crushing sensation on the chest and difficulty breathing.

This particular experience has also come to be referred to as "old hag" due to how often the hallucinated figure is perceived to be an ugly old woman shrouded in black.

Fortunately though, aside from being terrifying, sleep paralysis in itself is generally harmless.

Source: Live Science | Comments (17)

Tags: Sleep Paralysis, Old Hag

Comment icon #8 Posted by coolguy on 12 October, 2016, 4:03
Old hag use to vist me
Comment icon #9 Posted by Lucas Cooper Merrin on 12 October, 2016, 6:08
Tell us more cool guy......what happened?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Susanc241 on 12 October, 2016, 7:20
I have only ever had the one experience of sleep paralysis and I hope never to have another. Pretty standard with waking and not being able to move my upper body and though I tried to scream I was aware of this moaning sound coming from me. Had a huge black presence on the bed beside me and another at the foot of the bed to one side. Also the huge weight on my chest. I fought to get up and thrashed my legs as hard as I could to no avail. In what I presume to be no more than a few seconds or perhaps half a minute in total, I 'woke up' properly. The black forms vanished and the scream I had been... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by badtucker on 12 October, 2016, 16:18
i have had several in my lifetime... only one and possibly the 2nd most terrifying of them would i describe as a succubus. i remember it vividly, was about 10 years ago. started more or less as a sort of sex dream, then suddenly i was awake..there was a horrific creature on me, couldn't move... couldn't do anything... didn't want to look, just wanted to cry out but couldn't. the creature was pretty horrible, hair like long black straw, wrinkled grey/green skin... no face, but a long tounge from a mouth i couldnt see. jeeze was terrifying. but it all seemed over quicker than it felt, and i was ... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by Chaldon on 12 October, 2016, 19:09
Wow! It's all so weird and vivid, all those creatures, or at least black entities. I've never seen anything like that in my life, even in half-sleep. I suspect my domovoi (house spirit) loves me and never takes visible form. There never ever been anything visible, although in the childhood I've had a lot of horrible nervous experiences. The worst were the episodes of violent agitation and screaming at night in half-awake condition - don't know how this condition is called in English, in Russian for ages it was known as 'kriksy' (??????), but that's not an official medical term. To get rid of t... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Chaldon on 12 October, 2016, 19:20
I remember very well that when I had those 'kriksy' screams I was completely aware of everything around me and even was pretty cool-minded at the time but was completely unable to control my body which, like all by itself, wanted to run somewhere and screamed like in terror. It was really weird. I was 7-8 years old, I think.
Comment icon #14 Posted by XenoFish on 13 October, 2016, 1:51
Your luck would attract an incubus.
Comment icon #15 Posted by LightBright51 on 28 August, 2018, 15:21
Recently i had my first experience of sleep paralysis that i know of. Im 22 years old, & in the USMC. There was old women trying to get into my room, then my door opened, this whole time i was tying to wake up my pregnant wife, who was sleeping next to me, but I couldn?t my body was locked, & i could see the old women geeting closer, along with flashes of people in big boiling pots. & she was saying something to me which i cant remember right now, but her voice was very creepy and raspy. The moment was so real, And im trying to yell to my wife to wake up and run, but like i said i ... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by Chaldon on 28 August, 2018, 18:17
Sounds more like a case of false awakening. Your deion is completely implausible for a real event, even supernatural, and full of stereotypical ghost-story stuff. I think false awakening and sleep paralysis has something in common and often accompany each other, that explains why some people have hallucinations and others (like me), who's sleep is mostly superficial, never have those, as when the sleep paralysis begins it easily causes a full-scaled wake up, while for the others the brain begins to struggle between the sleep and the awakening. Another interesting aspect is that sleep paralysis... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Msoft on 1 October, 2018, 3:38
I’ve experience this several times in a life time. The most scariest time was when I was actually being haunted by a bad spirit after my dads death. I awoke to my tv being on laying on my stomach with my head turned and I could see a shadow figure of a man standing in my room. I tried to scream but couldn’t. It was very scary experience of my life.

Tiger enters house, goes to sleep on bed
7-20-2019
A homeowner and his family were forced to flee when the enormous cat simply walked in the front door.
NASA celebrates Apollo 11's 50th anniversary
7-20-2019
Today marks exactly 50 years since Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin touched down on the lunar surface.
Incredible 'piglet squid' caught on camera
7-19-2019
Footage of the unusual cephalopod was captured in the Pacific depths by the Exploration Vessel Nautilus team.
'Storm Area 51' spawns copycat campaigns
7-19-2019
Inspired by the recent social media phenomenon, other people have started setting up their own 'storm' events.
House vibrates
7-20-2019 | Northern part of lower Michigan

Sudden writing on hand
7-20-2019 | England

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx