Thursday, July 19, 2018

Scientists find 3.5 billion-year-old fossils

Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 | Comment icon 15 comments

The fossils date back to the early Earth. Image Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center
Discovered in Western Australia, the fossil microbes are the oldest evidence of life ever identified.
Until very recently, microfossils had been the subject of considerable controversy among scientists.

While some had long maintained that these cylindrical, thread-like shapes were fossil microbes, others had remained adamant that they were nothing more than naturally-occurring shapes in the rock.

Now though, palaeobiologist Professor William Schopf and his colleagues have put the matter to rest once and for all by determining the carbon composition of the rock and identifying a correlation between the ratio of the carbon isotopes and the microbe-like shapes contained within it.

"The differences in carbon isotope ratios correlate with their shapes," said study co-leader Prof John Valley. "If they're not biological there is no reason for such a correlation."

Due to the relative complexity of these fossil organisms, some scientists have speculated that life may have arisen on our planet a lot earlier than is generally believed.

There is even evidence of oceans predating these fossils by up to 800 million years.

"We have no direct evidence that life existed 4.3 billion years ago but there is no reason why it couldn't have," said Professor Valley. "This is something we all would like to find out."

Source: Independent | Comments (15)

Tags: Fossil, Australia

Comment icon #6 Posted by Almighty Evan on 18 December, 2017, 22:59
Wondering if they will make any connection to the similarly aged "life" from a rock allegedly from Mars. http://sciencevibe.com/2017/09/11/ancient-mars-meteorite-showed-signs-of-primitive-life-on-mars/
Comment icon #7 Posted by freetoroam on 18 December, 2017, 23:18
In this case there has been 10 years of research to get to these results. I do not understand how you are skeptical about this, you also do not accept these findings either: You are questioning and disregarding scientific findings and yet fall for claims about telepathy etc which have not been proven. Seems odd.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Carnoferox on 18 December, 2017, 23:53
They have been confirmed to be fossils of microorganismsthrough analysis by secondary ion mass spectometry (SIMS). Your "skepticism" would be lessened if you would read the actual paper. http://sci-hub.tw/http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/12/12/1718063115
Comment icon #9 Posted by Aquila King on 19 December, 2017, 4:18
What seems odd is how you're only a 'skeptic' when it comes toclaims that contradict the current scientific establishment, yet you take the title of 'Skeptic'. Seems odd. I did read the actual paper, and it's a paper written by scientist with the same potential biases that I've already laid out a thousand times before on here. For god sakes people, I'm not saying I believe it to be unequivocally false, merely that I am skeptical of it. I guess 'skeptics' are only skeptics when it's convenient to them. Figures.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Carnoferox on 19 December, 2017, 5:05
Well you certainly didn't read it before your initial comments, because it isn't open-access and wasn't available before I posted the Sci-Hub link (which bypasses the paywall). You made your judgment before even reading the paper, which doesn't strike me as being very skeptical at all.
Comment icon #11 Posted by seeder on 19 December, 2017, 10:22
well Im happy with the paperwork that these are fossils...after all, they didnt jump to any conclusions did they? From the OP
Comment icon #12 Posted by XenoFish on 19 December, 2017, 11:32
I'm skeptical too. I thought Australia was a myth.
Comment icon #13 Posted by seanjo on 19 December, 2017, 15:02
I'd like to see what the scepticalscientists have to say.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Aquila King on 19 December, 2017, 17:49
You're jumping on me because I didn't just believe it instantly upon hearing it. Tell me, how is that in any way skeptical? No, that's the opposite of skepticism. Again, I'm not saying I don't believe it, I'm saying I have questions, reservations,that I'm skeptical of and am questionigit's authenticity. Consider it an agnostic stance if you will. But I'm not just gonna believe it merely cause it's stated by some scientist(s). That isn't skepticism, it's dogmatism and blind faith.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Carnoferox on 19 December, 2017, 23:20
No it's because you jumped to a conclusion based on the news report alone without first reading the paper itself. Now that you've read the paper, what criticisms can you level at the methods within since you're skeptical of them?

Prehistoric baby snake found trapped in amber
7-19-2018
Scientists have discovered the well-preserved remains of a jeuvenile snake dating back 99 million years.
Telescope receives upgrade, exceeds Hubble
7-18-2018
Adaptive optics technology has now made it possible for ground telescopes to take extremely sharp images.
Your earliest memory may be fake, study claims
7-18-2018
Scientists maintain that our earliest memories could not have happened the way we remember them.
New geological era named the Meghalayan Age
7-18-2018
Scientists have announced that the last 4,200 years of Earth's history have been given an official name.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA