Monday, September 24, 2018

SpaceX to send humans to Mars within 10 years

Posted on Thursday, 12 April, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

Will humans walk on the surface of Mars by 2028 ? Image Credit: NASA / Pat Rawlings
The ever-ambitious space firm is hoping to see humans walk on the surface of Mars within the next decade.
Speaking at the TED conference in Vancouver on Wednesday, SpaceX President and Chief Operating Officer Gwynne Shotwell reiterated Elon Musk's vision of seeing mankind become a multi-planetary species and added that she was keen for us to come in to contact with an alien race.

"This is the only time I out-vision Elon: I want to meet people, or whatever they call themselves, in another solar system," she said.

"Fundamentally you go to other places to explore. That's what makes humans different from animals."

The rocket that SpaceX will use to put humans on Mars is the Big Falcon Rocket (BFR), a veritable behemoth that, once completed, will be the most powerful rocket ever built.

In addition to spaceflight, it will also serve as an Earth-based transportation system by offering wealthy passengers the opportunity to fly from China to the US, for instance, in around 30 to 40 minutes.

"I'm personally invested in this one because I travel a lot, and I do not like to travel," said Shotwell. "I would love to get to see my customers in Riyadh, leave in the morning and be back in time to make dinner."

Whether SpaceX will be able to keep to its ambitious timetable however remains to be seen.

Source: Independent | Comments (7)

Tags: Mars, SpaceX

Comment icon #1 Posted by Derek Willis on 12 April, 2018, 15:52
I think most people would congratulate Mr Musk on what he has achieved to date. I am not talking about him becoming a multi-billionaire, I am taking about him being instrumental in bringing down the cost of spaceflight. However, he does on occasion get ahead of himself. Not so long ago he said people would be going to Mars in 2019. However, 2029 is possibly realistic.
Comment icon #2 Posted by NicoletteS on 14 April, 2018, 1:26
It's so wonderful that someone is taking the initiative to do what all our excessive tax dollars and governing bodies have failed to.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 14 April, 2018, 3:17
Yes, because SpaceX costs the US tax payer nothing... except the $4.9 billion in government subsidies it has received.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Derek Willis on 14 April, 2018, 6:04
Here is a link that gives some insight into what the $4.9 billion figure means. Basically, how much was a "subsidy" and how much was for carrying out work on behalf of the government? https://www.quora.com/How-much-did-SpaceX-receive-in-government-subsides-in-2016
Comment icon #5 Posted by Scuzzy on 15 April, 2018, 10:53
Still waiting for Virgin Galactic to take me to space.. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/will-virgin-galactic-ever-make-it-to-space-Richard-Branson/
Comment icon #6 Posted by NicoletteS on 17 April, 2018, 13:37
Good. I am glad some of that went to them rather than to the war machine. You act ike those subsidies changed tax rates or something. With that many people under slave labor throwing money into a massive pit I am very happy to see something come out of that pit.  And yes I said slave labor. Actually slaves had it better as they had housing and food for all their hard work, as today if you work full time it is often not enough to be able to afford both housing and food. Of course I'm p***ed that we are being robbed to pay for an out of control war machine. It is so sad that we have reached our ... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 17 April, 2018, 13:45
I did no such thing. I was simply acting on the fact that your previous post showed clearly that you were making an uninformed comment about a subject you don't seem to know anything about. You don't know the difference between a space agency and a commercial organisation and you didn't know that SpaceX had received billions in U.S. tax payers dollars. As for the rest of your rant I fail to see how any of it is remotely on topic.

Planet-hunting probe finds two new candidates
9-23-2018
A mere two months after beginning operations, NASA's TESS spacecraft has found two new extrasolar worlds.
Two-headed snake discovered in Virginia
9-23-2018
An 'extremely rare' adult copperhead snake with two heads was recently found in a garden in Woodbridge.
Optical illusion can determine how old you are
9-23-2018
According to researchers, your age group can be determined by how you initially interpret this image.
1,000ft spider web covers edge of Greek lagoon
9-22-2018
A vast stretch of vegetation next to Aitoliko Lagoon has become hidden beneath a huge mass of spider silk.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas