Sunday, October 20, 2019

Paranormal radio host Art Bell dies aged 72

Posted on Sunday, 15 April, 2018 | Comment icon 21 comments

Art Bell is best known for his radio show Coast to Coast AM. Image Credit: CC 2.0 Curtis Kennington
The former Coast to Coast AM radio host reportedly died on Friday at his home in Pahrump, Nevada.
Born in 1945, Bell developed an interest in radio from a young age and became a fully licensed amateur radio operator at just 13. He served as a medic during the Vietnam War and operated a pirate radio station at Amarillo Air Force Base during his spare time.

After leaving the military, he moved to the Japanese island of Okinawa where he worked as a DJ for KSBK - a non-military english-speaking station. During this time he earned a Guinness World Record and raised money to help Vietnamese orphans by staying on air for 116 hours and 15 minutes.

After returning to the United States, he studied engineering at the University of Maryland for a time before dropping out and returning to radio.

In 1978 he started a new political call-in show known as West Coast AM. In 1988, he and Alan Corberth rebranded the show Coast to Coast AM and the rest, as they say, is history.

The show itself focused on numerous alternative topics including the paranormal, UFOs, conspiracy theories, psychic readings, cryptozoology, psychic readings and many more.

Over the years, Bell talked to numerous controversial guests including alleged Area 51 worker Bob Lazar, conspiracy theoriest David Icke and UFO abductee Stan Romanek.

He semi-retired from Coast to Coast AM in 2003 however he continued to host the show at weekends for four years and later returned to guest host on numerous occasions after that.

He returned to radio in 2015 with a new show Midnight in the Desert but stepped down after only a few months citing concerns about his family's safety.

He died at his home on Friday, April 13, 2018.

Source: Chicago Tribune | Comments (21)

Tags: Art Bell

Comment icon #12 Posted by Hawkin on 15 April, 2018, 16:11
I always wanted to listen to C to C but couldn't pull it in on my radio. The nearest AM station was 40 miles away but reception was poor.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Scudbuster on 15 April, 2018, 22:00
I listened to him a few times and always enjoyed his program- RIP Art Bell.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Alien Origins on 15 April, 2018, 22:09
R.I.P Art you will truly be missed...
Comment icon #15 Posted by Myles on 16 April, 2018, 18:16
Pretty entertaining guy.   He'll be missed.   I've always wondered how much of the stuff he talked about that he actually believed.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Katniss on 17 April, 2018, 2:16
I was wondering about that too. It says in wikipedia that he suffered from COPD, which makes sense. Because Bell was a heavy smoker for a number of years. My grandfather had the same thing and it was caused by heavy smoking. Eventually it caused my grandfather to have a heart attack and pass away. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell [scroll down to subtitle Death and read under that]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Captain Risky on 17 April, 2018, 2:22
man what a shame. Open minded guy. great to listen to.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Merc14 on 17 April, 2018, 2:38
My thoughts exactly!   I listened to his very entertaining show when working late because he did a great job entertaining his audience which is job number one.   I have no idea how much he actually believed (0% for me) but enjoyed the "show" he put on and no one should mistake his skill at providing a show.  I agree with a post from above that said "No one will ever do it better."   I am sad he has passed as the world has lost a unique talent.
Comment icon #19 Posted by newbloodmoon on 17 April, 2018, 5:45
Enjoyed the art bell radio era, he will be missed.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Myles on 17 April, 2018, 11:31
Being an entertainer and needing ratings makes it hard to judge most radio personalities.
Comment icon #21 Posted by bison on 18 April, 2018, 22:28
Art Bell enabled the wide dissemination of many fantastic tales. I like the way he refrained from attacking the people who told these stories, while still asking and allowing others to ask pointed questions. He obviously didn't believe everything he was told, yet he didn't feel the need to defend an already powerful orthodoxy against these lone eccentrics, or build himself up by knocking others down.

Ancient 'lost city' rediscovered in Cambodia
10-20-2019
Archaeologists have announced the discovery of the lost city of Mahendraparvata deep in the Cambodian jungle.
Mystery skeleton found on Mount Williamson
10-19-2019
Two climbers ascending California's second-highest peak recently uncovered a decades-old mystery.
US Navy's 'Doomsday' plane taken out by a bird
10-19-2019
An aircraft designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse recently suffered a rather unfortunate mishap.
Creepy 'haunted' doll filmed moving on its own
10-19-2019
A World War 2-era ventriloquist doll has been filmed moving its eyes and mouth in the middle of the night.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ