Saturday, March 23, 2019

Man claims to eat only once every three months

Posted on Thursday, 13 December, 2018 | Comment icon 35 comments

Breatharianism is considered highly dangerous. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Adityamadhav83
'Breatharian' Khai Ho maintains that he is able to survive for months at a time on little more than air and sunlight.
The 38-year-old, who ironically works as a pizza delivery man, claims that his unusual way of life has made him feel healthier, despite the fact that he apparently eats next to nothing at all.

Breatharianism is a very controversial practice because the idea of surviving without food or water is patently ridiculous - as humans we need both of these things or we will die.

Attempting it is dangerous and there is no scientific evidence to suggest that it can work. Many people have died attempting it while doctors and scientists alike have dismissed it as pseudoscience.

This begs the question therefore - what is the truth behind Khai's claims ?

"I have never really felt hunger and never took much interest in food as a child," he said. "My mum was always worried about me and still is. I could never really embrace that state of consciousness that I was after, until about four years ago when it became more serious."

"I was maybe eating every three or four days at first, but now I can go months without food or water and even then, only have a mint or so to take away any bitter taste in my mouth."

"It's an amazing feeling, I'm fully conscious of my mind and I've never felt so great."

"I'm fully aware of my surroundings. People think I'm crazy but incredible at the same time."

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (35)

Tags: Breatharian

Comment icon #26 Posted by XenoFish on 14 December, 2018, 17:33
You're still going to need a certain amount of calories to function properly. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-2/
Comment icon #27 Posted by Amanda Evans on 14 December, 2018, 23:13
If he laid completely still in a trance like state I could just about believe he could somehow control his own metabolism. But he is not a Tibetan Monk he is a pizza delivery man who obvious has a nibble on a Deep Pan every now and then...
Comment icon #28 Posted by UFOwatcher on 14 December, 2018, 23:48
Check for roots. This guy thinks he's a plant.
Comment icon #29 Posted by joc on 15 December, 2018, 1:16
I think he is full of crap.  You have to eat food to live.  If you don't, your cells will begin to break down.  Type 1 Diabetes, the body produces no insulin.  Insulin is produced by the pancreas and is necessary to break foods down so they can be used as energy.  My BS meter is ticking far to the right!
Comment icon #30 Posted by Atilla the Nun on 15 December, 2018, 22:29
I can remember some guy in the 70's who used to make the talk show circuit claiming the same thing.  (He also called himself a "breatharian.")  Then a witness saw him pigging out on fried chicken and ice cream.  I'd put my money on the witness.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Rolci on 17 December, 2018, 5:54
Except when you use your Chi energy.
Comment icon #32 Posted by joc on 17 December, 2018, 12:06
That's crap too.  The guy was living off his fat cells because he was ..very fat. Eventually, the body will use all the fat cells and then what?  I am well aware of chi...it has nothing to do with breathing air to  live.
Comment icon #33 Posted by XenoFish on 17 December, 2018, 12:31
After the fat cells, the body cannibalize's muscle tissue. After that you're dead.
Comment icon #34 Posted by psyche101 on 17 December, 2018, 12:48
I'm a skeptic so I'll take that as an invitation.  How do you propose that case supports breatharianism when the paper clearly states it was a controlled diet in order to achieve his ideal weight?   He was 207 kilos, which is considered grossly obese, so much so that he was ambulant. He couldn't carry his own weight. He was given suplements, vitamins and non caloric fluids. It was a heavily controlled and strictly observed life saving diet. He was not some dreadlocked hippie breathing air and absorbing light for sustenance. He was achieving an ideal weight through fasting. The paper states his... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by joc on 17 December, 2018, 13:15
I think the physicists call it...Entropy.

World's largest Tyrannosaurus rex unveiled
3-23-2019
A fossil T. rex named 'Scotty' has been confirmed to be the largest predatory dinosaur ever discovered.
New report exposes 'cat cannibalism' research
3-22-2019
A disturbing new report highlights some of the unsavoury animal experiments carried out by government scientists.
45 rattlesnakes discovered under man's house
3-22-2019
A Texas man who recently crawled under his house to fix his cable found rather more than he had bargained for.
Multiple realities can exist at the same time
3-22-2019
A mind-boggling quantum physics experiment has seemingly confirmed the existence of multiple realities.
Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 0 comments
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 2 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

How will humans evolve ?
Posted 2-12-2019 | 2 comments
What's next for our species - what will a human of the future be like ?

Winter solstice hooded figures