Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Whale almost swallows dive tour operator

Posted on Saturday, 9 March, 2019 | Comment icon 11 comments

Bryde's whales feed on a variety of fish and sea creatures. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Aucklandwhale
Rainer Schimpf had been filming a sardine run when he inadvertently ended up in the mouth of a huge whale.
The 51-year-old had been snorkelling off Port Elizabeth Harbor, South Africa when a Bryde's whale - which had been feeding on the fish he was filming - accidentally tried to swallow him whole.

"I knew instantly what had happened," said Schimpf. "There was no time for fear or any emotion."

His wife and colleague, who were on a nearby boat, could do nothing but watch in horror.
"I felt enormous pressure around my waist which is when I guess the whale realized his mistake," said Schimpf. "As the the whale turned sideways, he opened his mouth slightly to release me and I was washed out, together with what felt like tons of water, of his mouth, while the whale himself was swallowing all the fish in his throat."

Remarkably, despite his ordeal, Schimpf was back in the water again a few minutes later.

"On our return in the evening Heinz checked his images and it was only once I saw them that I realized just how lucky I was to be looking at them," he said.

"Seconds decide if you become prey, seconds decide your survival and seconds are all that counts."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (11)

Tags: Whale

Comment icon #2 Posted by DebDandelion on 9 March, 2019, 15:58
Jona....oh Jona...well I am sorry...but its a little funny
Comment icon #3 Posted by AllPossible on 9 March, 2019, 20:37
That's one lucky guy. Im surprised he didn't crush him
Comment icon #4 Posted by Opus Magnus on 9 March, 2019, 21:29
Barely touching Jonah and the whale.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Hawken on 9 March, 2019, 22:55
I've seen a documentary where a whale swallowed a gannet in a school of sardines.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Jon the frog on 9 March, 2019, 23:41
lol, probably after 1 second he was tasting bad...
Comment icon #7 Posted by openozy on 10 March, 2019, 1:14
Could have been Pinocchio under an alias.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Amanda Evans on 10 March, 2019, 1:19
He was having a... whale of a time
Comment icon #9 Posted by third_eye on 10 March, 2019, 5:35
Perhaps the fellow looked like a giant jelly fish to the whale, to to go on a diet ~
Comment icon #10 Posted by Habitat on 10 March, 2019, 5:43
I have seen this species well inshore, in the surf zone, chasing schools of anchovy. Not a common happening, though.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Sabbath on 11 March, 2019, 10:14
Maybe the whale thought he was a Schrimpf...

9-year-old genius is set to graduate university
11-19-2019
Laurent Simons is about to become one of the youngest people in history to earn themselves a university degree.
143 new Nazca geoglyphs discovered in Peru
11-19-2019
Researchers have used an artificial intelligence to identity previously unseen drawings on the desert floor.
Ancient skeletons found wearing 'skull helmets'
11-18-2019
The skeletons of two infants unearthed in Ecuador were found to be wearing helmets made from other skulls.
Is Greta Thunberg in a 120-year-old photo ?
11-18-2019
A girl who happens to look uncannily like the young activist has been spotted in an old archive photograph.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia