Saturday, January 25, 2020

Collapse of Angkor Wat called in to question

Posted on Tuesday, 4 June, 2019 | Comment icon 8 comments

Angkor Wat remains a popular tourist attraction. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Sam Garza
A growing body of evidence points to a more complex explanation for the abandonment of the historic site.
Originally constructed as a Hindu temple for the Khmer Empire over 800 years ago, Angkor Wat remains the single largest religious monument in the world.

Constructed under the rule of King Suryavarman II, the structure is so famous that it even appears on Cambodia's flag and it is visited by over two million people from all over the world every year.

The traditional story of Angkor Wat's decline and eventual abandonment points to the collapse of the Angkor civilization in 1431 when its capital city was ransacked by the Thai Kingdom of Ayutthaya.
In more recent years however, historians have been able to piece together a more detailed account of what happened, revealing Angkor's collapse as more of a transformation than an outright demise.

Factors contributing to its abandonment included a religious shift towards Theravada Buddhism, a change in emphasis away from state-sponsored stone temples to community-based Buddhist pagodas, a series of lengthy droughts and the re-location of the capital further south.

"To describe Angkor's decline as a collapse is a misnomer," writes Prof Alison Kyra Carter from the University of Oregon. "Ongoing archaeological studies are showing that the Angkorian people were reorganizing and adapting to a variety of turbulent, changing conditions."

Source: Newsweek | Comments (8)

Tags: Angkor Wat

Comment icon #1 Posted by quiXilver on 4 June, 2019, 20:00
Thank you for sharing. Fascinating place and history.
Comment icon #2 Posted by pallidin on 4 June, 2019, 20:02
Must be an awesome place to visit. Never been there myself. I like how it says "...remains the single largest religious monument in the world."
Comment icon #3 Posted by Unfortunately on 5 June, 2019, 8:55
I had the pleasure of seeing it a few years ago (along with a few other sites) when I was staying in Cambodia. The architecture and sheer size of Angkor Wat absolutely blew me away, it's indescribably beautiful walking through the grounds; there are lots of little shrines along with more monkeys than I could count at the time I visited. An incredible sight to see, I definitely recommend putting it on the bucket list.    Edit: For future reference, there is one section of the ruin (higher up) that's more sacred, so visitors are encouraged to wear clothes that don't show too much skin. (Easily f... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by pallidin on 5 June, 2019, 18:31
Say, do you by chance know of either an official, or, extensive tourist video tour of that site (YouTube perhaps)?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Unfortunately on 5 June, 2019, 23:17
Hmm, I can't say I've looked into the video tour side of things, but I'll be sure to let you know if I find one
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 7 June, 2019, 16:42
Why don't you just search YouTube for a video? https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anghkor+wat+travel+guide Here's one...
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 7 June, 2019, 18:04
I use YouTube all the time, so I know how to search, but what I was after was something he might recommend since he's been there. But thank you, El, I'll check that video out.
Comment icon #8 Posted by TripGun on 10 June, 2019, 13:22
Very cool ruins

Space Force logo looks like it's from Star Trek
1-25-2020
President Donald Trump has revealed the official logo for the US Space Force - and it looks somewhat familiar...
Man behind exotic US Navy patents speaks out
1-25-2020
The engineer responsible for various exotic 'UFO tech' patents has spoken to the media for the first time.
Astronauts create first ever food baked in space
1-24-2020
In a first-of-its-kind experiment, the astronauts aboard the ISS have baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Doomsday Clock is now seconds from midnight
1-24-2020
According to the latest movement of the symbolic clock, the state of our world has gone from bad to worse.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA