Tuesday, December 10, 2019

ISS to accommodate tourists for $35K a night

Posted on Saturday, 8 June, 2019 | Comment icon 7 comments

(Very) rich space tourists will soon be able to visit the ISS. Image Credit: NASA
From next year, the International Space Station will open its doors to private visitors and business ventures.
For those with the right connections and a heck of a lot of spare cash, NASA has revealed that the orbiting outpost will be offering two private astronaut missions from 2020.

Trips to the station will last up to 30 days and will cost an eye-watering $35,000 per night.

Two private firms - Boeing and SpaceX - have been tasked with the responsibility of determining who goes up as well as ensuring that they meet the medical and training requirements for the trip.
An additional fee for the flight to and from the station will cost a further $60 million.

"NASA is opening the International Space Station to commercial opportunities and marketing these opportunities as we've never done before," said NASA's chief financial officer Jeff DeWit.

The move is a major step toward privatizing the ISS to maintain its viability in to the future.

It is currently unclear however who, if anyone, has signed up for the trip.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: ISS, Tourism

Comment icon #1 Posted by susieice on 7 June, 2019, 21:25
What I found says $50 million a trip. https://www.fox29.com/news/nasa-will-let-tourists-visit-the-international-space-station-starting-in-2020?fbclid=IwAR03NyLot1dDl5kmQESDjvc1FfJfRtKE9vUfeDg4-pCQRYTeoHyvj2hDQUs We need to start saving now so Waspie can go! It starts sometime next year.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 7 June, 2019, 22:25
I think that is the price of the launch. The $35,000 per night is is in addition to that. Generally the heavier the payload the more expensive the launch costs. To launch me I think you're going to need a bigger rocket.
Comment icon #3 Posted by susieice on 8 June, 2019, 0:26
It would be an awesome vacation though!
Comment icon #4 Posted by Dark_Grey on 10 June, 2019, 21:53
I want Eric Dubay to crowd source the money for the trip and live stream his reaction once he leaves the Earth's atmosphere. Priceless
Comment icon #5 Posted by Desertrat56 on 10 June, 2019, 23:28
Who is Eric Dubay?
Comment icon #6 Posted by Desertrat56 on 10 June, 2019, 23:29
Oh, never mind.  I did a google.  LOL  yeah he should go.
Comment icon #7 Posted by jowasmus on 12 June, 2019, 14:09
Eric Dubay, never heard of him before now (that I remember), but that's funny. Somebody needs to start a GoFund me page just for that.

Mystery surrounds 'T-34' written on polar bear
12-9-2019
An investigation is currently underway in an effort to track down who is responsible for painting the animal.
ESA to launch space debris collector in 2025
12-9-2019
If successful, the mission will be the first ever to remove a piece of space junk from Earth's orbit.
Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia