Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Dracula's cannonballs unearthed in Bulgaria

Posted on Saturday, 8 June, 2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

Vlad the Impaler was the inspiration behind Count Dracula. Image Credit: Nicolae Iorga
Medieval cannonballs used by the armies of Vlad the Impaler have been discovered in the town of Svishtov.
The discovery was made by Prof Nikolay Ovcharov from the National Institute and Museum of Archaeology in Sofia and his team during excavations of Bulgaria's Zishtova Fortress.

The cannonballs were thought to have been used during Vlad the Impaler's battle with the Ottoman Turks in 1461. Vlad himself would later become the inspiration behind the iconic Count Dracula.

"What's really interesting is that from the [early] Ottoman period we have found cannonballs," said Ovcharov. "We rejoice at those small cannonballs because they are from culverins."
"These were the earliest cannons which were for the 15th century, up until the 16th century, they weren't in use after that."

"There is no doubt that they are connected with the siege [and conquest of the Zishtova Fortress] by Vlad Dracula in 1461."

Source: Fox News | Comments (6)

Tags: Dracula, Vlad the Impaler

Comment icon #1 Posted by ouija ouija on 7 June, 2019, 17:11
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 7 June, 2019, 17:34
I think I can safely say, this is the first Ball thread to not mention Hitler.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 7 June, 2019, 20:57
I heard that one of his isin the Royal Albert Hall ?
Comment icon #4 Posted by acute on 7 June, 2019, 20:59
The other one's in a bunker somewhere.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Seti42 on 8 June, 2019, 12:54
Great. Now everyone is going to say "by Dracula's balls!". I'll have to come up with a new exclamation of my incredulity.
Comment icon #6 Posted by TripGun on 10 June, 2019, 12:34
Someday my own cannonballs with be unearthed.

Mystery surrounds 'T-34' written on polar bear
12-9-2019
An investigation is currently underway in an effort to track down who is responsible for painting the animal.
ESA to launch space debris collector in 2025
12-9-2019
If successful, the mission will be the first ever to remove a piece of space junk from Earth's orbit.
Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia