Monday, January 17, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

'Zombie' snake lies on its back and plays dead

June 12, 2019 | Comment icon 15 comments

This snake is very much alive. Image Credit: Facebook / North Carolina State Parks and Recreation
Officials in North Carolina recently posted a notice on Facebook about one snake's rather unusual behavior.
Referred to as a 'zombie snake', this intriguing reptile - also known as the eastern hognose or puff adder - is found in several US states ranging from Florida to Minnesota.

What makes this particular snake so interesting is the fact that, when threatened, it will attempt to play dead by flipping on to its back and lying on the ground completely motionless.

While the eastern hognose rarely bites humans, people have been warned not to poke or prod at the snake even if it appears dead because it may simply be pretending.

"We love hognose snakes," said department spokeswoman Katie Hall.

"They put on this really dramatic display, but it's kind of adorable."

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (15)

Comment icon #6 Posted by Piney 3 years ago
I'm allergic to horse venom so when I'm tagged by a rattler I have to "ride the wave" very painful...very, very painful.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Not Your Huckleberry 3 years ago
What ones do you normally get tagged by?  Crotalin is only administerable once in a lifetime, anyway. Were you treated with antivenin once and they tried to give it to you again?
Comment icon #8 Posted by Piney 3 years ago
I was treated with it once during a "round up" of timber rattlers for relocation and went into cardiac arrrest. That was after the patch test cleared me. I was bitten once more by a timber rattler and just laid in the hospital for a week being monitored and I.V.ed
Comment icon #9 Posted by DieChecker 3 years ago
The article called them a puff adder, so I had to go look it up, because I thought puff adders were very dangerous. Turns out the "real" puff adders live in Africa. This guy is sometimes called a puff adder because they will try to puff up to scare a predator.
Comment icon #10 Posted by TripGun 3 years ago
The snake is assuming the attacking animal knows what being dead looks like. In fact the snake is assuming what being dead looks like. These types of snakes make a lot of assumptions.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Jon the frog 3 years ago
Pure drama queen !
Comment icon #12 Posted by Jon the frog 3 years ago
Seen a possum doing the same thing in central america after encountering dog, it was clearly a fail ! lol
Comment icon #13 Posted by openozy 3 years ago
Your too nice,where I live all the snakes are deadly and you see them on a daily basis in the warmer months.They don't play dead until you introduce them to the .410.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Piney 3 years ago
45 LC snakeshot. Same diameter longer wad.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Junior Chubb 3 years ago
Glad you mentioned Possums... Possum snake would have suited considering the behaviour, I gues Zombie Snake would just get more attention on Facebook.

Total Posts: 7,211,207    Topics: 295,747    Members: 195,201