Thursday, October 24, 2019

UK divers encounter gigantic, rare jellyfish

Posted on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

The huge animal was certainly impressive. Image Credit: Facebook / Lizzie Daly / Dan Abbott
Two divers exploring the waters off the coast of Cornwall, England came across something rather spectacular.
The enormous gelatinous sea creature was encountered on Saturday by biologist Lizzie Daly and underwater cinematographer Dan Abbott during a week-long celebration of Britain's wildlife.

Thought to be a barrel jellyfish, the huge animal was filmed gliding silently through the depths. The species is not harmful to humans and is the largest jellyfish found off the coast of the UK.

Daly described the experience of swimming alongside it as "humbling."

"I went to have a closer look, only to be surprised by how enormous it was," she said.

The pair swam alongside the jellyfish for about an hour before it disappeared off into the gloom.

Source: Live Science | Comments (6)

Tags: Barrel Jellyfish

Comment icon #1 Posted by Stiff on 17 July, 2019, 12:07
Wow, that's amazing!
Comment icon #2 Posted by AllPossible on 17 July, 2019, 15:18
"The species is not harmful to humans" Well in that case lets go pet him
Comment icon #3 Posted by cathya on 17 July, 2019, 16:27
Wow..that's kind of pretty. Love to see one myself.
Comment icon #4 Posted by cathya on 17 July, 2019, 16:27
Wow..that's kind of pretty. Love to see one myself.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Katniss on 17 July, 2019, 23:43
That is absolutely incredible and beautiful. †
Comment icon #6 Posted by MrBene on 18 July, 2019, 1:21
Now I have doubts about this Jellyfish. I know most jellyfish can live up to 15-18 months with luck and others in case there are no depredators can live up to 20 years. I wonder how long these specie live. I am pretty sure it has been feeding for a while without being disturbed.

Former Mir astronaut recalls UFO sightings
10-23-2019
Retired NASA astronaut Jerry Linenger claims that he encountered several anomalies during his time in space.
Mystery Moon 'gel' revealed in new photograph
10-23-2019
China has published a new image showing the strange substance found by Yutu-2 on the dark side of the Moon.
Woman claims to have found an 'alien artifact'
10-23-2019
The object reportedly matches a similar item that CSM James Norton allegedly found at a UFO crash site.
World's loudest bird has a truly deafening call
10-22-2019
This incredible species of bird from the Amazon can belt out a call so loud that it can damage your eardrums.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ