Friday, December 13, 2019

UK divers encounter gigantic, rare jellyfish

Posted on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

The huge animal was certainly impressive. Image Credit: Facebook / Lizzie Daly / Dan Abbott
Two divers exploring the waters off the coast of Cornwall, England came across something rather spectacular.
The enormous gelatinous sea creature was encountered on Saturday by biologist Lizzie Daly and underwater cinematographer Dan Abbott during a week-long celebration of Britain's wildlife.

Thought to be a barrel jellyfish, the huge animal was filmed gliding silently through the depths. The species is not harmful to humans and is the largest jellyfish found off the coast of the UK.

Daly described the experience of swimming alongside it as "humbling."

"I went to have a closer look, only to be surprised by how enormous it was," she said.

The pair swam alongside the jellyfish for about an hour before it disappeared off into the gloom.

Source: Live Science | Comments (6)

Tags: Barrel Jellyfish

Comment icon #1 Posted by Stiff on 17 July, 2019, 12:07
Wow, that's amazing!
Comment icon #2 Posted by AllPossible on 17 July, 2019, 15:18
"The species is not harmful to humans" Well in that case lets go pet him
Comment icon #3 Posted by cathya on 17 July, 2019, 16:27
Wow..that's kind of pretty. Love to see one myself.
Comment icon #4 Posted by cathya on 17 July, 2019, 16:27
Wow..that's kind of pretty. Love to see one myself.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Katniss on 17 July, 2019, 23:43
That is absolutely incredible and beautiful.
Comment icon #6 Posted by MrBene on 18 July, 2019, 1:21
Now I have doubts about this Jellyfish. I know most jellyfish can live up to 15-18 months with luck and others in case there are no depredators can live up to 20 years. I wonder how long these specie live. I am pretty sure it has been feeding for a while without being disturbed.

Pigeons spotted wearing tiny cowboy hats
12-12-2019
Efforts are underway to track down who is responsible for affixing small hats to the heads of pigeons in Las Vegas.
Ripley's power loader from 'Aliens' is now real
12-12-2019
The Guardian XO is a fully working powered exosuit that enables the wearer to lift and move heavy loads.
UFO filmed dropping 'fireballs' over Arizona
12-12-2019
A couple from Mesa recently recorded footage of a mysterious object dropping glowing orbs over the city.
'Area 51' among 2019's most searched terms
12-11-2019
Google has revealed the events, people and things that were searched for the most over the last 12 months.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia