Sunday, January 26, 2020

Are near-death experiences merely illusions ?

Posted on Monday, 19 August, 2019 | Comment icon 356 comments

Does the soul live on after the body has died ? Image Credit: Louis Janmot
Some patients who 'died' for a short period have reported things that they couldn't possibly have known about.
Seeing events flashing before your eyes, observing a bright light at the end of a tunnel or feeling as though you are floating above your own body are just some of the things commonly described by patients who have had a near-death experience.

But do such experiences represent genuine evidence that there is something more after we die or are they simply illusions produced by the chemistry of the dying brain in our final moments ?

To answer this question, it is worth considering those rare cases where near-death experiences have revealed details about the physical world that the patient couldn't have otherwise known about.

One well known case, which was reported by hospice physician John Lerma, concerned an 80-year-old man who recalled floating above his body in the hospital trauma room.
From this elevated position, he spotted a quarter dating back to 1985 sitting on the top of an eight-foot-high cardiac monitor where nobody could have seen it without looking down from above.

After he was resuscitated, he asked Lerma to go and check that it was actually there. Skeptical of the claim, Lerma took out a ladder and climbed up to take a look. Sure enough - the coin was there.

Another similar case was recorded by Kenneth Ring and Madelaine Lawrence in 1993 when a patient described a near-death experience in which she was pulled upwards through the floors of the hospital until she emerged above the roof of the building where she saw a red shoe.

A doctor later investigated the claim and sure enough - there really was a shoe on the roof.

Could such stories be evidence that the human 'soul' is capable of living on outside of the body ?

The search for answers continues.

Source: Psychology Today | Comments (356)

Tags: Near-Death Experience

Comment icon #347 Posted by psyche101 on 19 January, 2020, 0:10
On what basis or authority do you feel validated in taking your opinion to suggestion.?  Airy fairy views of afterlife concepts are dime a dozen. What can you actually bring to the table for discussion?
Comment icon #348 Posted by Crazy Horse on 19 January, 2020, 13:59
Unless a person has an open mind concerning these issues, I can do or say nothing. What have you brought to the table except negative comments?
Comment icon #349 Posted by psyche101 on 22 January, 2020, 2:04
I agree. You don't have an open mind. You consider philosophy to be equivalent to fact but it's not.  Supported information. If it's not what you want to hear, that's hardly my fault.
Comment icon #350 Posted by Crazy Horse on 23 January, 2020, 16:09
Its a fact that nobody likes to suffer, real harsh pain and torment. That's a fact! Yet mental anguish and suffering can be over-come with a spiritual, philosophical attitude to life. So philosophy is superior to a million facts when it comes to easing mental pain and anguish..
Comment icon #351 Posted by onlookerofmayhem on 23 January, 2020, 16:46
What about masochists?
Comment icon #352 Posted by Crazy Horse on 24 January, 2020, 4:16
If it was real harsh pain and mental suffering, then no, some folks may like to go there once in awhile, but to be placed in a boiling vat of oil for example, no.
Comment icon #353 Posted by psyche101 on 24 January, 2020, 7:24
If you think lying to yourself helps, then that explains truckloads about your views. I'm more honest with myself I guess.
Comment icon #354 Posted by Crazy Horse on 24 January, 2020, 8:22
If you are so sure, then refute how a more spiritual attitude and mind-set, doesn't help with mental suffering!
Comment icon #355 Posted by psyche101 on 24 January, 2020, 8:57
How is that different to drugs? Problems don't go away by themselves. Pretending they have doesn't make that happen.
Comment icon #356 Posted by Crazy Horse on 25 January, 2020, 6:11
Well that's a matter of perspective, something we all may control for ourselves. Personally speaking, I see everything as being a lesson in life. When something "bad" happens to me, I question why, I look and know the causes, I learn, and improve my-self. Its a matter of refinement. In fact, I would say that bad feelings are the alarm call to wake-up, and heed the lesson.  Knowing karma, and therefore having a belief in the Afterlife, helps tremendously. In any event, I am in control of my life. I get to choose how to react. I know the consequences of certain actions, and therefore I would ref... [More]

Another 'Bigfoot' shows up on WSDOT webcam
1-26-2020
Authorities in Washington have recorded footage of a figure trudging through the snow near Snoqualmie Pass.
Space Force logo looks like it's from Star Trek
1-25-2020
President Donald Trump has revealed the official logo for the US Space Force - and it looks somewhat familiar...
Man behind exotic US Navy patents speaks out
1-25-2020
The engineer responsible for various exotic 'UFO tech' patents has spoken to the media for the first time.
Astronauts create first ever food baked in space
1-24-2020
In a first-of-its-kind experiment, the astronauts aboard the ISS have baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA