Thursday, November 21, 2019

Are near-death experiences merely illusions ?

Posted on Monday, 19 August, 2019 | Comment icon 324 comments

Does the soul live on after the body has died ? Image Credit: Louis Janmot
Some patients who 'died' for a short period have reported things that they couldn't possibly have known about.
Seeing events flashing before your eyes, observing a bright light at the end of a tunnel or feeling as though you are floating above your own body are just some of the things commonly described by patients who have had a near-death experience.

But do such experiences represent genuine evidence that there is something more after we die or are they simply illusions produced by the chemistry of the dying brain in our final moments ?

To answer this question, it is worth considering those rare cases where near-death experiences have revealed details about the physical world that the patient couldn't have otherwise known about.

One well known case, which was reported by hospice physician John Lerma, concerned an 80-year-old man who recalled floating above his body in the hospital trauma room.
From this elevated position, he spotted a quarter dating back to 1985 sitting on the top of an eight-foot-high cardiac monitor where nobody could have seen it without looking down from above.

After he was resuscitated, he asked Lerma to go and check that it was actually there. Skeptical of the claim, Lerma took out a ladder and climbed up to take a look. Sure enough - the coin was there.

Another similar case was recorded by Kenneth Ring and Madelaine Lawrence in 1993 when a patient described a near-death experience in which she was pulled upwards through the floors of the hospital until she emerged above the roof of the building where she saw a red shoe.

A doctor later investigated the claim and sure enough - there really was a shoe on the roof.

Could such stories be evidence that the human 'soul' is capable of living on outside of the body ?

The search for answers continues.

Source: Psychology Today | Comments (324)

Tags: Near-Death Experience

Comment icon #315 Posted by Desertrat56 on 3 September, 2019, 14:37
Thank you for the source.
Comment icon #316 Posted by VastLand on 3 September, 2019, 23:50
This is why I left the forum. See I came to learn and share, oh, about a year and a half ago, I figure. Came along to learn, to share, the wealth of happiness I began to know. I was met by these people you talk about. They were bad at holding back their emotions, and they acted on them frequently, causing bullying, and mistreatment, of different manner.  I came back to do it again, but this time, I do not dangle my pearls to pigs, I will not talk directly to them if I must, I will ignore them if I must, but I will not tell them everything, that would be folly. They will learn in time, and I wi... [More]
Comment icon #317 Posted by Desertrat56 on 3 September, 2019, 23:54
May I ask who "her" is?
Comment icon #318 Posted by VastLand on 4 September, 2019, 0:07
Sometimes, we choose to share something, that has been proven true to ourselves, personally. After we share, they think not, and reject our expression. And then we reply, while others mistake us for trying to prove we are correct, for ourselves. Rather, I find, that majority of the time, I am responding, not to prove it for myself, or to be validated, but rather, I am reasoning with others, in hopes that they may find, what I have found. Then of course, it has little to do with me, and more under the drive, that I persist to help others. Of course, then it depends on what a person is sharing. ... [More]
Comment icon #319 Posted by VastLand on 4 September, 2019, 0:13

Comment icon #320 Posted by VastLand on 4 September, 2019, 0:14
wisdom, one of the two faces of knowledge.
Comment icon #321 Posted by VastLand on 4 September, 2019, 0:30
First hand experience has shown me that there are different dreams for different causes. If I have been under considerable stress, over a specific fear, it manifest in my dreams. If I believe myself capable beyond ordinary dream states, I have Lucid dreams. I have had dreams, that ended up deja vu. I have had dreams, guiding me in my personal path, think choices and outcomes... What your mind chooses to receive at a given time, is what it will perceive. And sometimes a Deja Vu dream comes when you least expect it... Psychology, in modern era, is stretches in the dark, theories, based on interp... [More]
Comment icon #322 Posted by XenoFish on 4 September, 2019, 21:20
Until all cellular activity stops and you're a puddle at the bottom of a pine box six foot under.
Comment icon #323 Posted by joc on 5 September, 2019, 1:20
Yep! That embalming fluid kind of does a number on cellular activity.  And ...it is pretty much a fact that when your body dies...yeah...your dead.  If you regain consciousness it is because...duh...your body wasn't really dead.
Comment icon #324 Posted by XenoFish on 5 September, 2019, 2:02
What happens after we die? Someone will miss us.

Outbreak of the Black Death reported in China
11-21-2019
A resurgence of the bubonic plague in China has been raising eyebrows this week, but just how dangerous is it?
Flat Earth conspiracy is continuing to spread
11-20-2019
Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, more and more people now believe that the Earth is flat.
Can you survive with half your brain removed?
11-20-2019
A new study has revealed the remarkable ability of the human brain to adapt even when half of it is missing.
SETI Institute celebrates 35 years of hunting ET
11-20-2019
The research organization is today celebrating 35 years of searching for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia