Monday, January 20, 2020

World's loudest bird has a truly deafening call

Posted on Tuesday, 22 October, 2019 | Comment icon 7 comments

The white bellbird can make one heck of a din. Image Credit: Anselmo d'Affonseca
This incredible species of bird from the Amazon can belt out a call so loud that it can damage your eardrums.
Known as the white bellbird, this tree-dwelling rainforest species has been officially recognized by scientists as the world's loudest bird with a call that peaks at an average of 125 decibels.

That puts it on par with a jackhammer, a clap of thunder or a balloon popping.

Its ear-splitting call is used by the males to attract females in conjunction with their distinctive snow-white plumage and the peculiar long, black, worm-like ornament that hangs from their upper beak.

Despite the intense volume of the call, the elaborate courting ritual happens in close proximity to the female bird. The male begins by calling out with his back to her, before suddenly turning around.
"It's really dramatic," said lead study author Jeffrey Podos from the University of Massachusetts.

"You see this bird spinning around, and he's got his beak wide open. And he blasts the second note right in the place female would have been had she not been smart enough to back off."

Exactly why the birds engage in such a potentially dangerous display remains unclear.

You can listen to the white bellbird's call in the video below (headphones are not recommended!)

Source: CBC.ca | Comments (7)

Tags: Bird, Amazon

Comment icon #1 Posted by debra odem on 21 October, 2019, 18:56
I eard a owl one time its very loud but it was more paranormal maybe alien making me ear recorded or live sound from giant owl?
Comment icon #2 Posted by Kittens Are Jerks on 21 October, 2019, 21:06
Oh wow. Now that's a bird call I would not want to wake up to. It sounds 'metallic'. Adorable bird otherwise.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Matt221 on 22 October, 2019, 9:37
Not only an amazing call but also a cracker of a bird
Comment icon #4 Posted by AstralHorus on 22 October, 2019, 19:18
Interesting the different sounds animals can make. Only makes me believe people less when they say they hear aliens in the woods etc. just animals trying to get it on xD
Comment icon #5 Posted by Matt221 on 23 October, 2019, 15:23
I was out early one morning with my dogs hoping†for a bunny or two we went round near one of the reservoirs on the farm my oldest dog jumped into the†reeds,†I heard the most terrible loud high pitched scream the other dog dived in as well when I got to them the dogs had cornered a tiny little shrew that was screaming like a banshee .
Comment icon #6 Posted by AstralHorus on 23 October, 2019, 15:29
Yuhp, Iíve never been hunting but my friends who have tell me that the screams from bunnies is quite disturbing.†
Comment icon #7 Posted by GrumpyD on 24 October, 2019, 0:53
I can see that bird call being used in sci-fi movies, sounds very otherworldly.

Are UFOs piloted by humans from the future ?
1-20-2020
Is it possible that unidentified flying objects are piloted, not by aliens, but by our own future descendants ?
SpaceX rocket explodes as part of abort test
1-20-2020
The firm deliberately destroyed the rocket as part of its preparations for sending astronauts up to the ISS.
'Alien warehouse' Hangar 18 - does it exist ?
1-20-2020
Rumors about a secretive hangar at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base have been circulating for decades.
Mystery as pigeon spotted wearing a sombrero
1-19-2020
Last month it was pigeons wearing cowboy hats - now it's pigeons wearing sombreros. But who is responsible ?
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA