Sunday, November 29, 2020

World's loudest bird has a truly deafening call

Posted on Tuesday, 22 October, 2019 | Comment icon 7 comments

The white bellbird can make one heck of a din. Image Credit: Anselmo d'Affonseca
This incredible species of bird from the Amazon can belt out a call so loud that it can damage your eardrums.
Known as the white bellbird, this tree-dwelling rainforest species has been officially recognized by scientists as the world's loudest bird with a call that peaks at an average of 125 decibels.

That puts it on par with a jackhammer, a clap of thunder or a balloon popping.

Its ear-splitting call is used by the males to attract females in conjunction with their distinctive snow-white plumage and the peculiar long, black, worm-like ornament that hangs from their upper beak.

Despite the intense volume of the call, the elaborate courting ritual happens in close proximity to the female bird. The male begins by calling out with his back to her, before suddenly turning around.
"It's really dramatic," said lead study author Jeffrey Podos from the University of Massachusetts.

"You see this bird spinning around, and he's got his beak wide open. And he blasts the second note right in the place female would have been had she not been smart enough to back off."

Exactly why the birds engage in such a potentially dangerous display remains unclear.

You can listen to the white bellbird's call in the video below (headphones are not recommended!)

Source: CBC.ca | Comments (7)

Tags: Bird, Amazon

Comment icon #1 Posted by debra odem on 21 October, 2019, 18:56
I eard a owl one time its very loud but it was more paranormal maybe alien making me ear recorded or live sound from giant owl?
Comment icon #2 Posted by Kittens Are Jerks on 21 October, 2019, 21:06
Oh wow. Now that's a bird call I would not want to wake up to. It sounds 'metallic'. Adorable bird otherwise.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Matt221 on 22 October, 2019, 9:37
Not only an amazing call but also a cracker of a bird
Comment icon #4 Posted by AstralHorus on 22 October, 2019, 19:18
Interesting the different sounds animals can make. Only makes me believe people less when they say they hear aliens in the woods etc. just animals trying to get it on xD
Comment icon #5 Posted by Matt221 on 23 October, 2019, 15:23
I was out early one morning with my dogs hoping for a bunny or two we went round near one of the reservoirs on the farm my oldest dog jumped into the reeds, I heard the most terrible loud high pitched scream the other dog dived in as well when I got to them the dogs had cornered a tiny little shrew that was screaming like a banshee .
Comment icon #6 Posted by AstralHorus on 23 October, 2019, 15:29
Yuhp, I’ve never been hunting but my friends who have tell me that the screams from bunnies is quite disturbing.
Comment icon #7 Posted by GrumpyD on 24 October, 2019, 0:53
I can see that bird call being used in sci-fi movies, sounds very otherworldly.

Has the source of the Wow! signal been found ?
11-28-2020
An amateur astronomer has pinpointed the most likely star system from which the signal may have originated.
'Creature' blamed for mystery bridge deaths
11-28-2020
A prophet is investigating a series of deaths attributed to a mysterious creature at a bridge in Zimbabwe.
Dead mink are rising from the grave in Denmark
11-27-2020
Mink that have been culled and buried due to the coronavirus have started emerging from beneath the soil.
New docuseries to explore Heaven's Gate cult
11-27-2020
A new HBO six-part series will look at the history of one of the most notorious cults in modern American history.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball