Thursday, April 2, 2020

A third of Londoners have seen a 'road ghost'

Posted on Sunday, 2 February, 2020 | Comment icon 24 comments

Have you ever seen a ghost at the side of the road ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ian Paterson
A new survey has revealed the surprising number of British motorists who believe that they have seen a ghost.
The poll, which was conducted by a car leasing firm, focused on car drivers across the British Isles who had at some point witnessed a potential spook while out driving on the country's roads.

In total, approximately 13% of respondents across the UK as a whole said that they had seen something paranormal while driving, which breaks down to 15% of men and 11% of women.

Surprisingly, the Greater London area seemed to have the largest number of cases with 36% of respondents reporting a road-based paranormal sighting.

In Scotland, by comparison, the figure was 15%, while in North-West England it was 14%.
Out of all those polled, approximately 36% said that they believed ghosts existed.

"If you analyze some of the UK's most famous eyewitness reports, there are some really common road ghost tropes," said James O'Malley of Select Car Leasing.

"One involves drivers who believe they've accidentally collided with a pedestrian, only for the mysterious 'casualty' never to be found, having seemingly disappeared into thin air."

"Others involve the dreaded 'phantom hitchhikers' - who thumb a lift only to disappear without trace from the backseat of the startled motorist's car."

Source: Cambridge News | Comments (24)

Tags: Ghost, Haunting

Comment icon #15 Posted by Seti42 on 2 February, 2020, 20:14
Ah OK. Sorry, I mis-read.
Comment icon #16 Posted by freetoroam on 2 February, 2020, 20:34
I drive in the countryside a lot, personally I would prefer the zone outers would stop for a rest before they zone out. If they see something strange then maybe seek the nearest farmer or country dweller before putting photos up on youtube of a tree stump or rabbits eyes and claiming they have seen a ghost.  I would even be prepared to take papaG out for a stroll one night through our woods ( no holding hands) and show him a few explainable spooks.
Comment icon #17 Posted by freetoroam on 2 February, 2020, 20:38
You can take up my offer for a stroll through the country fields and woods, all you will need are wellies, a night vision camera and some balls.
Comment icon #18 Posted by toast on 2 February, 2020, 21:45
I never thought 36% of Londoners drive drunk. Britons!
Comment icon #19 Posted by papageorge1 on 2 February, 2020, 22:43
You sent me off to the internet to find out what 'wellies' are. I hope they have a manly style though. I've got balls yes, but no night vision camera.  But I'm not clear on what you are thinking will then happen. P.S.  The Papameter  works well inside and outside.
Comment icon #20 Posted by SpaceBumZaphod on 3 February, 2020, 1:26
In New orleans (we have plenty of hauntings), we have Mona Lisa lane by City Park. Dozens of drivers have seen her. I myself saw her at about 2am while taking a short cut To the nearby Metairie. She was wearing a flimsy white dress in the bitter cold of winter. I stopped and rolled down the passengers side window and asked if she needed a ride. As she waked up to my car, she faded into mist and vanished. I sped out of there, never to drive through Mona Lisa Lane ever again. I had several friends who had the same experience. Had I not seen it myself, I would not believe their stories. Here's an... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by TashaMarie on 1 March, 2020, 14:49
Okay I'm with you on Santa but unicorns and mermaids?
Comment icon #22 Posted by freetoroam on 1 March, 2020, 20:24
Sorry hun, yep, no unicorns or mermaids.  Do not start crying on me, but if you do
Comment icon #23 Posted by TashaMarie on 1 March, 2020, 20:27
Thank you for the tissues however I may need another box
Comment icon #24 Posted by freetoroam on 1 March, 2020, 20:35

Robbie Williams: a lifetime of paranormal activity
4-1-2020
The British chart-topper has had a long history of experiences with UFOs and paranormal phenomena.
What are the origins of April Fools' Day ?
4-1-2020
We celebrate it each year by pulling pranks on one another, but nobody is quite sure how it all started.
Is there a scientific explanation for deja vu ?
4-1-2020
Most of us will have experienced deja vu at some point in our lives, but what exactly causes this sensation ?
Astronaut pee could help to build Moon base
3-31-2020
The urine of the first lunar settlers could be used as a construction material to help build new structures.
In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter
2-8-2020 | ON

Mystery brain surgery and JFK
2-7-2020 | Toronto Ontario Canada

I keep bringing spirits home
2-7-2020 | Michigan