Tuesday, February 18, 2020

A third of Londoners have seen a 'road ghost'

Posted on Sunday, 2 February, 2020 | Comment icon 20 comments

Have you ever seen a ghost at the side of the road ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ian Paterson
A new survey has revealed the surprising number of British motorists who believe that they have seen a ghost.
The poll, which was conducted by a car leasing firm, focused on car drivers across the British Isles who had at some point witnessed a potential spook while out driving on the country's roads.

In total, approximately 13% of respondents across the UK as a whole said that they had seen something paranormal while driving, which breaks down to 15% of men and 11% of women.

Surprisingly, the Greater London area seemed to have the largest number of cases with 36% of respondents reporting a road-based paranormal sighting.

In Scotland, by comparison, the figure was 15%, while in North-West England it was 14%.
Out of all those polled, approximately 36% said that they believed ghosts existed.

"If you analyze some of the UK's most famous eyewitness reports, there are some really common road ghost tropes," said James O'Malley of Select Car Leasing.

"One involves drivers who believe they've accidentally collided with a pedestrian, only for the mysterious 'casualty' never to be found, having seemingly disappeared into thin air."

"Others involve the dreaded 'phantom hitchhikers' - who thumb a lift only to disappear without trace from the backseat of the startled motorist's car."

Source: Cambridge News | Comments (20)

Tags: Ghost, Haunting

Comment icon #11 Posted by XenoFish on 2 February, 2020, 18:44
Aah, I just saw a ghost. No it was just a hobo.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Seti42 on 2 February, 2020, 19:36
How is 13% a third? Anyway, I think people 'see' weird stuff when driving because (at least when on long drives in the countryside) it's very easy to zone out. Things zip by and your brain makes up details. It's totally different than midday city driving.
Comment icon #13 Posted by esoteric_toad on 2 February, 2020, 20:04
Maybe they meant a third-teenth
Comment icon #14 Posted by Eldorado on 2 February, 2020, 20:11
13% of Britons; 36% of Londoners.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Seti42 on 2 February, 2020, 20:14
Ah OK. Sorry, I mis-read.
Comment icon #16 Posted by freetoroam on 2 February, 2020, 20:34
I drive in the countryside a lot, personally I would prefer the zone outers would stop for a rest before they zone out. If they see something strange then maybe seek the nearest farmer or country dweller before putting photos up on youtube of a tree stump or rabbits eyes and claiming they have seen a ghost. I would even be prepared to take papaG out for a stroll one night through our woods ( no holding hands) and show him a few explainable spooks.
Comment icon #17 Posted by freetoroam on 2 February, 2020, 20:38
You can take up my offer for a stroll through the country fields and woods, all you will need are wellies, a night vision camera and some balls.
Comment icon #18 Posted by toast on 2 February, 2020, 21:45
I never thought 36% of Londoners drive drunk. Britons!
Comment icon #19 Posted by papageorge1 on 2 February, 2020, 22:43
You sent me off to the internet to find out what 'wellies' are. I hope they have a manly style though. I've got balls yes, but no night vision camera. But I'm not clear on what you are thinking will then happen. P.S. The Papameter works well inside and outside.
Comment icon #20 Posted by SpaceBumZaphod on 3 February, 2020, 1:26
In New orleans (we have plenty of hauntings), we have Mona Lisa lane by City Park. Dozens of drivers have seen her. I myself saw her at about 2am while taking a short cut To the nearby Metairie. She was wearing a flimsy white dress in the bitter cold of winter. I stopped and rolled down the passengers side window and asked if she needed a ride. As she waked up to my car, she faded into mist and vanished. I sped out of there, never to drive through Mona Lisa Lane ever again. I had several friends who had the same experience. Had I not seen it myself, I would not believe their stories. Here's an... [More]

Scientists are developing bouncy pavements
2-17-2020
A novel new type of rubber pavement being trialled in Sweden could help to save thousands of lives.
Ice makes strange sounds in bizarre new video
2-17-2020
Dropping a chunk of ice down a 450ft borehole can produce weird sounds resembling cartoon ricochets.
Arrokoth rewrites theory of planet formation
2-17-2020
New Horizons' encounter with a Kuiper belt object has turned what we know of planet formation on its head.
Live tree frog is found inside a green pepper
2-16-2020
An unsuspecting amphibian recently found itself at the center of a very peculiar mystery in Quebec, Canada.
The babysitter
2-8-2020 | ON

Mystery brain surgery and JFK
2-7-2020 | Toronto Ontario Canada

I keep bringing spirits home
2-7-2020 | Michigan