Saturday, August 8, 2020

Near-death experiencers recount their stories

Posted on Saturday, 1 August, 2020 | Comment icon 45 comments

What happens to us when we die ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 erpete
Several people have recently come forward with details of their own harrowing near-death experiences.
Seeing events flashing before your eyes, observing a bright light at the end of a tunnel or feeling as though you are floating above your own body are just some of the things commonly described by patients who have had a near-death experience.

Some further examples of such experiences were recently put forward on social media by a group of individuals who had all spent time 'dead' and who each had a different tale to tell.

"I woke up in what looked like space but there weren't any stars or light," said one man who had suffered massive haemorrhaging during surgery. "I wasn't floating so to speak, I was just there."

"I remember thinking over my life, but it wasn't like a montage. More like I was idly flipping through a book and snippets stood out here and there. Whatever it was, it changed my thoughts on a few things. I am still afraid to die, but I'm not worried about what happens after that."
Another, who suffered a motorbike accident, recalled being in a 'black and quiet' environment before encountering his brother who had died several years earlier.

"The only other thing I remember is him glancing at his watch and saying something like 'They'll be here soon' and then walking away," he said.

A different experience was described by a man who had suffered a severe allergic reaction.

"I remember a feeling of being sucked backwards, extremely slowly, like being pulled through water and this blackness fading in and out," he said.

"At one point it faded back in and I was staring out at a garden. It's difficult to describe but I got the feeling I could choose if I wanted to stay or leave, but every time I tried to go back I was held in place."

"I went through all the reasons I wanted to go back, and when I told the presence I didn't want to abandon my mother whatever held me finally let go."

"I snapped back into my body. My heart had stopped for six minutes."

Source: Somersetlive.co.uk | Comments (45)

Tags: Near-Death Experience

Comment icon #36 Posted by XenoFish on 3 August, 2020, 20:29
Yeah, the options for the afterlife are being a mind slave in heaven, being tortured in hell forever, getting recycled through reincarnations, or the eternal nothingness. Pick your poison.†
Comment icon #37 Posted by XenoFish on 3 August, 2020, 20:29
You afraid of a little necromancy? I hated her anyway.†
Comment icon #38 Posted by Kittens Are Jerks on 3 August, 2020, 21:01
If anyone was looking for proof of life after death, NDEs are not it. NDEs take place in a near death context†ó a situation in which oneís life is in danger of being extinguished. They do not occur in†individuals who have†sustained either (1) irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions, or (2) irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem.† https://academic.oup.com/jlb/article/3/3/743/2327864 And there's this: Not surprisingly, many have seized on NDEs as evidence of life after death, heaven and the existence of god. The deions of lea... [More]
Comment icon #39 Posted by Liquid Gardens on 3 August, 2020, 21:13
Can't complain, how you doing preacher?† Hopefully doing okay during the plague at least in a relative sense. I think I'd need to see better evidence of the synchronization of an NDE with the exact points in time when someone is actually clinically dead.† It's totally†understandable given the nature of these occurrences that this kind of evidence would be tough to provide, but it's not something then that still shouldn't be taken into account. Part of the noteworthiness of NDEs is the semi-commonality of some of them; it seems like if everyone was having totally different wild but inconsistent... [More]
Comment icon #40 Posted by preacherman76 on 3 August, 2020, 22:20
Sup KAJ? Hope you are doing well.† † Iím not saying NDEís are absolute proof of life after death, but I gotta seriously disagree with this sites conclusions. Especially the bit about it just†being a religious . So what if these experiences are shared across cultures? That Iíd think would support the idea. Maybe this isnít ed from religious belief, but religious belief is a reflection of these†experiences. This article starts with the assumption that all religious beliefs are wrong.† † For me, there is no way the brain is going to make up some massive crazy detailed hallucination to trick us in... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by preacherman76 on 3 August, 2020, 22:40
Iím good. Actually having some level of stress. Today I started my first (hopefully last) business adventure. Working out the bugs, and placing advertisements has been stressful. Itís also pretty exciting though. Iím still working at the same time, so Iím exhausted lol.† I feel ya on that. Iíve searched tons of these. Many were very compelling, but one stood out the most to me. Unfortunately itís been awhile and I canít remember the womanís name, I think Mary something. This women had to have brain surgery. If I recall correctly they lowered her body temp way below what you need to live, put e... [More]
Comment icon #42 Posted by Kittens Are Jerks on 3 August, 2020, 23:26
I'm doing great, thanks. Hope you and your family are also well. I just read about your business venture. Wishing you great success with it! They're actually saying that because these experiences span many cultures and religions, NDEs are not likely reflections of religious expectations (although people, depending on their beliefs, may attach religious significance to them). As NDEs are not limited to religious people, how can they be a reflection of anything religious to begin with? Given the drug ketamine, brains did exactly that. Other drugs that cause hallucinations similar to NDEs are LSD... [More]
Comment icon #43 Posted by Liquid Gardens on 4 August, 2020, 0:06
It might be Pam Reynolds, she's mentioned in the last link of kittens post at the Atlantic, it fits what you're describing.† But it also says in that article, "But none of Reynoldsís reported veridical perceptions happened while her EEG recorded a flat line. They all took place before or after, when she was under anesthetic but very much alive.".† That's the trouble with these stories, the crucial bits seem so unverifiable just by the very nature of the experience; medical personnel who corroborate the timing of things the NDE experiencer remembers are doing so after the fact and concerning de... [More]
Comment icon #44 Posted by Poncho_Peanatus on 4 August, 2020, 7:07
I find NDE fascinating, for two reasons, first if real there is a afterlife...then woohoo the life dont end with the body and there is Disney land for free waiting for me††or frigging Freddy Krueger† Second, regardless if real or not, they are able to crack down the process and chemically repeat it like creating a super drug that can emulate these "spiritual" experiences that would be a superbely effective drug to use for depression/PTSD ect treatment, maybe even recreational....perhaps combined with virtual reality or what else. But IMO to verify the survival of consciousness after dead, what... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by Artaxerxes on 4 August, 2020, 23:18
What a great kindness it is that we don't have to stay in our physical bodies till it is rotten, decaying, and stinking dead?† That the soul is so loosely attached to the body that when we come close to death the soul is able to move quickly away from the body so it doesn't have to experience the real horror of the actual death?† †I have read so many near death experience deions where they jumped out of the body before the real impact came?† †I am thankful that I won't have to stay in my body waiting for it to decay and rot in order to move on into the Light.† What a great blessing that is.††

'Knife-wielding baboons' seen at safari park
8-7-2020
Baboons at Knowsley Safari Park in Merseyside have reportedly taken to wielding knives and sharp tools.
What will happen at the end of the universe ?
8-7-2020
The Big Bang may have brought the universe into existence, but will a similar event bring about its demise?
Ingested beetle escapes out of frog's posterior
8-6-2020
A bizarre experiment has demonstrated how one aquatic beetle can survive being swallowed up by a frog.
Neuralink chip to offer 'superhuman hearing'
8-6-2020
Elon Musk's potentially revolutionary brain-computer interface chip is nothing if not ambitious.
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball