Thursday, September 3, 2015   |   5,102 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Detective claims Jack the Ripper didn't exist

Posted on Tuesday, 24 September, 2013 | Comment icon 35 comments

Shipping on the Thames in Victorian era London. Image Credit: John Atkinson Grimshaw (1880)
An 11-year investigation in to the infamous 19th century killer has reached a startling conclusion.
The mysterious serial killer known only as Jack the Ripper has been the subject of investigations and research for over 125 years, but to date nobody has been able to piece together the identity of the Victorian-era killer whose grisly crimes saw the deaths of several women in London.

Now after a detailed investigation spanning more than a decade, former murder squad detective Trevor Marriott has determined that the reason Jack's identity has been so difficult to ascertain is because he didn't actually exist at all. Instead, the name was coined by a journalist called Thomas Bulling who forged a letter to Scotland Yard in the interests of obtaining a scoop.

While the murders certainly took place, it appears that they may have simply been grouped together under the name of Jack the Ripper and that there may have been multiple actual culprits.

"The facts of this case have been totally distorted over the years," said Marriott. "Jack is supposed to be responsible for five victims, but there were other similar murders before and after the ones attributed to him, both in this country and abroad in America and Germany."

The recognizable image of Jack the Ripper stalking the streets of London in a black cape and top hat, it seems, may have been nothing more than an urban myth.

Source: Express | Comments (35)

Tags: Jack the Ripper

Comment icon #26 Posted by Antilles on 2 October, 2013, 11:29
What! You're sure it wasn't Prince Albert?
Comment icon #27 Posted by Antilles on 2 October, 2013, 11:33
What? Several people working together? Who are you thinking of? Queen Victoria, Sir Charles Warren, Prince Albert Victor, Mr Gladstone, Prince Albert's ghost, Vincent Van Gogh......name your perp. Or perps.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Antilles on 2 October, 2013, 11:36
No, there is not credible evidence to support her claim. A fictional author has a go at writing a factual story. To make money. You have any other credible sources to back up her story? You'll be looking for a long time.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Antilles on 2 October, 2013, 11:39
Out of all of your ' knowledge' I will ask only this question. There is a Dear Jack letter? Really? Jack was writing to himself? Amazing.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Asadora on 2 October, 2013, 11:49
Ahh yes the Mr. Ripper case. When I was a senior in high school, my AP English teacher was absolutely engrossed with anything involving Jack the Ripper. She explained to us one day, after being asked who she thought it could be and it's an explanation that I'll never forget. She -believed- that it was someone who worked closely with the Royal family at the time. She was very animated when she explained further, but when she was asked what proof did she have, my teacher just changed the subject to Beowulf. I'm not really sure why that episode has stuck with me for all these years, b... [More]
Comment icon #31 Posted by Antilles on 2 October, 2013, 12:18
asadora, MJ Druitt is more along the lines of who the Ripper really was. No, he was not a cricket playing barrister but he was, IMO, a mentally disturbed individual who took his own life or who was incarcerated after he killed Mary Kelly. I'll add this for anyone who's interested. The Ripper sites then and now.
Comment icon #32 Posted by Ad hoc on 7 October, 2013, 4:04
I was in whitechapel a couple of days ago for a medical examination. Didn't see anyone with a cape, but there were certainly some fashion choices ripe for scrutiny, what with the slight hipster overspill from Shoreditch. I did however see a young guy giving a JTR tour a few weeks ago, which I hadn't seen before. Bet some of them left feeling super convinced by the mix of fact and hokum he probably sent their way
Comment icon #33 Posted by The New Richard Nixon on 14 October, 2013, 18:26
I think hes saying "p*** of tourists"
Comment icon #34 Posted by Antilles on 15 October, 2013, 11:21
Since they're paying his wage, why would he?
Comment icon #35 Posted by Infinite Playlist on 25 October, 2013, 0:47
I was always in the belief that it was a surgeon, but after watching the Ripper episode of 'Is it Real?' I thought Sickert could certainly be credible.

UFO sighting over Japan
8-13-2015 | Japan

Twin UFOs on patrol
8-6-2015 | England

Something roaming in the woods
7-19-2015 | Salt Fork, Ohio

Strange growl
7-16-2015 | Yakima, WA

Loud screeching in the woods
7-10-2015 | Kansas, IL

Was she my spirit guide?
7-3-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

Floating above my bed
7-2-2015 | Brittany, France

The haunted Queenslander
7-2-2015 | Queensland, Australia

'IT' was there to take me!
7-2-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA