Thursday, September 21, 2017

Diamond rain may fall on Jupiter and Saturn

Posted on Thursday, 10 October, 2013 | Comment icon 14 comments

Jupiter could turn out to be a girl's best friend. Image Credit: NASA
The two largest planets in our solar system may be home to diamond rain and liquid diamond oceans.
The gas giants continue to offer up surprises as it was revealed this week that the conditions on these two worlds are just right to enable entire oceans of liquid diamond to exist.

Astrophysicists believe that lighting storms in the atmospheres of Jupiter of Saturn create particles of carbon which are condensed in to chunks of diamond due to the intense pressures they encounter as they fall. At even greater depths these diamonds would eventually condense in to liquid that would subsequently form a stable ocean layer.

While considered a rare and valuable commodity here on Earth, diamond can exist in vast amounts elsewhere in the universe. Two years ago astronomers discovered a planet fives times the size of the Earth which is believed to be comprised almost entirely of diamond. Other worlds with thick diamond layers, including one located 40 light years away, have also been found.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (14)

Tags: Jupiter, Saturn, Diamond

Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin on 10 October, 2013, 21:51
Comment icon #6 Posted by EtherialNight on 10 October, 2013, 22:30
@Pallidin; I'm with you on this one, thinking about the process that creates diamond in the first place, a liquid diamond sea just seems implausible. But then I'm not a scientist..
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 10 October, 2013, 23:05
I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage. Liquid crystals are a state of matter between an ordinary liquid and a crystal. Despite being liquid the molecules are still orientated in the same way as in a crystal. Hence this is not "liquified carbon" which would have a totally random molecular orientation.
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 10 October, 2013, 23:14
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 10 October, 2013, 23:23
Be nice Waspie... I clearly stated that I am NOT a scientist, thus a clear inference from my entire post is that it is just my opinion. Jeeze... I actually removed the passage you are referring to BEFORE you posted, however my point was valid. In science not all opinions are equal.
Comment icon #10 Posted by kannin on 11 October, 2013, 0:20
waspies always quick with the spank paddle lol ive learnt to not assume things in posts when waspies around XD This must be the planet where the Twilight vampires came from.... epic reply
Comment icon #11 Posted by Xanthurion2 on 11 October, 2013, 3:44
Alright, everybody grab a bucket.
Comment icon #12 Posted by patagonianhorsesnake on 11 October, 2013, 6:17
man, nature is consistently more amazing and strange than science fiction. i do want to read a novel or short story about liquid diamond miners working the seas of jupiter now, though.
Comment icon #13 Posted by woopypooky on 11 October, 2013, 10:04
Who cares? By the time mankind colonized other planets, the most precious material is O2
Comment icon #14 Posted by Sundew on 11 October, 2013, 20:49
I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage. What's next, ruby lakes and emerald springs? I'm no scientist, but this just doesn't make any sense at all. Wait... let me grab another beer and perhaps it will. Well, there is this:

Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Europe withdraws from anti-asteroid mission
9-21-2017
An upcoming mission designed to test out the deflection of a large asteroid has hit a bit of a snag.
Giant prehistoric frog ate small dinosaurs
9-21-2017
At the size of a beach ball, the monster-sized Beelzebufo ampinga was the largest frog that ever lived.
550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY