Saturday, November 18, 2017

Diamond rain may fall on Jupiter and Saturn

Posted on Thursday, 10 October, 2013 | Comment icon 14 comments

Jupiter could turn out to be a girl's best friend. Image Credit: NASA
The two largest planets in our solar system may be home to diamond rain and liquid diamond oceans.
The gas giants continue to offer up surprises as it was revealed this week that the conditions on these two worlds are just right to enable entire oceans of liquid diamond to exist.

Astrophysicists believe that lighting storms in the atmospheres of Jupiter of Saturn create particles of carbon which are condensed in to chunks of diamond due to the intense pressures they encounter as they fall. At even greater depths these diamonds would eventually condense in to liquid that would subsequently form a stable ocean layer.

While considered a rare and valuable commodity here on Earth, diamond can exist in vast amounts elsewhere in the universe. Two years ago astronomers discovered a planet fives times the size of the Earth which is believed to be comprised almost entirely of diamond. Other worlds with thick diamond layers, including one located 40 light years away, have also been found.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (14)

Tags: Jupiter, Saturn, Diamond

Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin on 10 October, 2013, 21:51
Comment icon #6 Posted by EtherialNight on 10 October, 2013, 22:30
@Pallidin; I'm with you on this one, thinking about the process that creates diamond in the first place, a liquid diamond sea just seems implausible. But then I'm not a scientist..
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 10 October, 2013, 23:05
I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage. Liquid crystals are a state of matter between an ordinary liquid and a crystal. Despite being liquid the molecules are still orientated in the same way as in a crystal. Hence this is not "liquified carbon" which would have a totally random molecular orientation.
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 10 October, 2013, 23:14
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 10 October, 2013, 23:23
Be nice Waspie... I clearly stated that I am NOT a scientist, thus a clear inference from my entire post is that it is just my opinion. Jeeze... I actually removed the passage you are referring to BEFORE you posted, however my point was valid. In science not all opinions are equal.
Comment icon #10 Posted by kannin on 11 October, 2013, 0:20
waspies always quick with the spank paddle lol ive learnt to not assume things in posts when waspies around XD This must be the planet where the Twilight vampires came from.... epic reply
Comment icon #11 Posted by Xanthurion2 on 11 October, 2013, 3:44
Alright, everybody grab a bucket.
Comment icon #12 Posted by patagonianhorsesnake on 11 October, 2013, 6:17
man, nature is consistently more amazing and strange than science fiction. i do want to read a novel or short story about liquid diamond miners working the seas of jupiter now, though.
Comment icon #13 Posted by woopypooky on 11 October, 2013, 10:04
Who cares? By the time mankind colonized other planets, the most precious material is O2
Comment icon #14 Posted by Sundew on 11 October, 2013, 20:49
I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage. What's next, ruby lakes and emerald springs? I'm no scientist, but this just doesn't make any sense at all. Wait... let me grab another beer and perhaps it will. Well, there is this:

Humanoid robot is now able to do backflips
11-18-2017
Thanks to its latest upgrade, Boston Dynamics' Atlas robot is now capable of performing gymnastics.
Fireball lights up the night sky over Finland
11-18-2017
A time-lapse camera captured the moment an intense fireball streaked across the sky over Lapland.
China to build nuclear-powered space shuttle
11-17-2017
The long-term roadmap for China's space program has been revealed by one of its primary contractors.
Skepticism surrounds head transplant success
11-17-2017
Controversial surgeon Sergio Canavero claims that he has performed the first ever human head transplant.
Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Caving claustrophobia
Posted 11-10-2017 | 12 comments
A montage of shots from caving in some of the most cramped conditions on Earth.

World's largest reptile zoo
Posted 11-4-2017 | 1 comment
Reptile Gardens in South Dakota has more species of reptile than any other zoo on the planet.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa