Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Diamond rain may fall on Jupiter and Saturn

Posted on Thursday, 10 October, 2013 | Comment icon 14 comments

Jupiter could turn out to be a girl's best friend. Image Credit: NASA
The two largest planets in our solar system may be home to diamond rain and liquid diamond oceans.
The gas giants continue to offer up surprises as it was revealed this week that the conditions on these two worlds are just right to enable entire oceans of liquid diamond to exist.

Astrophysicists believe that lighting storms in the atmospheres of Jupiter of Saturn create particles of carbon which are condensed in to chunks of diamond due to the intense pressures they encounter as they fall. At even greater depths these diamonds would eventually condense in to liquid that would subsequently form a stable ocean layer.

While considered a rare and valuable commodity here on Earth, diamond can exist in vast amounts elsewhere in the universe. Two years ago astronomers discovered a planet fives times the size of the Earth which is believed to be comprised almost entirely of diamond. Other worlds with thick diamond layers, including one located 40 light years away, have also been found.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (14)

Tags: Jupiter, Saturn, Diamond

Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin on 10 October, 2013, 21:51
Comment icon #6 Posted by EtherialNight on 10 October, 2013, 22:30
@Pallidin; I'm with you on this one, thinking about the process that creates diamond in the first place, a liquid diamond sea just seems implausible. But then I'm not a scientist..
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 10 October, 2013, 23:05
I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage. Liquid crystals are a state of matter between an ordinary liquid and a crystal. Despite being liquid the molecules are still orientated in the same way as in a crystal. Hence this is not "liquified carbon" which would have a totally random molecular orientation.
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 10 October, 2013, 23:14
Comment icon #9 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 10 October, 2013, 23:23
Be nice Waspie... I clearly stated that I am NOT a scientist, thus a clear inference from my entire post is that it is just my opinion. Jeeze... I actually removed the passage you are referring to BEFORE you posted, however my point was valid. In science not all opinions are equal.
Comment icon #10 Posted by kannin on 11 October, 2013, 0:20
waspies always quick with the spank paddle lol ive learnt to not assume things in posts when waspies around XD This must be the planet where the Twilight vampires came from.... epic reply
Comment icon #11 Posted by Xanthurion2 on 11 October, 2013, 3:44
Alright, everybody grab a bucket.
Comment icon #12 Posted by patagonianhorsesnake on 11 October, 2013, 6:17
man, nature is consistently more amazing and strange than science fiction. i do want to read a novel or short story about liquid diamond miners working the seas of jupiter now, though.
Comment icon #13 Posted by woopypooky on 11 October, 2013, 10:04
Who cares? By the time mankind colonized other planets, the most precious material is O2
Comment icon #14 Posted by Sundew on 11 October, 2013, 20:49
I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage. What's next, ruby lakes and emerald springs? I'm no scientist, but this just doesn't make any sense at all. Wait... let me grab another beer and perhaps it will. Well, there is this:

Trump urges NASA to speed up Mars mission
4-25-2017
The US President has stated that he would like to see astronauts visiting Mars before the year 2021.
Mysterious Canadian aurora nicknamed 'Steve'
4-25-2017
The phenomenon was first discovered by a group of amateur Aurora Borealis photographers in Alberta.
Scientists retrieve DNA of HMS Terror crew
4-25-2017
A new study is aiming to identify some of the sailors who died during the ill-fated Arctic expedition.
New 'Kitty Hawk' flying car footage revealed
4-24-2017
The company behind the futuristic aerial vehicle was financially backed by Google founder Larry Page.
Slo Mo Guys Inception
Posted 4-25-2017 | 0 comments
Gav and Dan attempt to recreate a scene from Inception involving a bath of cold water.

Boiling water meets freezing air
Posted 4-24-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what happens when you throw boiling water out in to the freezing Russian winter air.

Cave-dwelling spiders
Posted 4-23-2017 | 3 comments
A new species of spider has been found living in caves and mine shafts in Mexico.

The human bridge of musicality
Posted 4-22-2017 | 1 comment
A look at how the human brain perceives the concept of music and how it is processed.

Swarm of locusts
Posted 4-21-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the extreme destructive power of an enormous swarm of desert locusts.

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles