Friday, July 11, 2014   |   3,674 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

ET search could focus on alien transmitters

Posted on Saturday, 19 October, 2013 | Comment icon 85 comments

The Very Large Array (VLA) in New Mexico. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Hajor

A new focus for SETI could be to look for extraterrestrial transmitters within our own solar system.

The idea stems from the concept that if an intelligent extraterrestrial race were using a probe to study our planet then in order to transmit the data back to their own solar system they would need a means with which to send a signal over long interstellar distances.

In a recent paper, Michael Gillon of the Observatory of Geneva outlined his thoughts on how this could be achieved and how it could represent a new opportunity for us to seek out evidence of ET.

His proposition is based on the concept that an alien transmitter could use the sunís gravitational field as an amplifier to boost the signal, a technique that could also be used in the future to help us communicate with our own interstellar space probes.

Gillon maintains that astronomers could monitor the solar focal regions of neighboring stars within our solar system to look for signs of transmitters as this would be the most likely place to find them. Anomalous radiation readings at one of these locations could be an indicator that there was something there and then a probe could be sent to take a closer look.

Source: Discovery News | Comments (85)

Tags: SETI

Comment icon #76 Posted by Jacques Terreur on 16 November, 2013, 20:38
YUK! hat tasted horrible, but at least there were funny bubbles.... i'm afraid you did get me wrong. I did not affiliate you with any group, merely pointing out that what i read in your posts reveals an underlying pattern that i (and i am sure lots of us happy mutants here on UM) encountered many times before in one or another occasion. I don't know anything about you in person. But i recognize the message in your posts like i would recognize an old, familiar song in lots of different interpretations. 'twas not my intention to insult you, but come on, you got to give me a... [More]
Comment icon #77 Posted by Kludge808 on 17 November, 2013, 6:55
*snicker* ... and something else to add to my sig. Thanks! :-D
Comment icon #78 Posted by spacecowboy342 on 17 November, 2013, 11:56
Quantum in nature, absolutely, but still not faster than light.
Comment icon #79 Posted by spacelizard667 on 19 November, 2013, 5:14
I have looked around on UM too, but I see nothing here of that sort so how do you categorize that ? If I don't see what you see I am going to see it anyway; so you might as well make some committment to your own ideas about whatever that is to you. I think maybe you're wanting to find your own 'old man' within yourself. Why not just lighten up and see it again at face value without the other connotations. Or just say why you can't.
Comment icon #80 Posted by Jacques Terreur on 19 November, 2013, 5:57
shhhhhh!! There's a world outside UM! I've been fascinated by everything "paranormal" for at least half of my life, and i've had my fair share of studying everything i could lay my hands on. I think i've become enough of an "old man" by now to not take people's claims only at "face value". I need to understand WHY you (or anybody else) make certain claims, to get to the bottom of it and compare it to my own "belief system". This is why i repeatedly asked you to tell me where you got all that stuff you posted from. How ... [More]
Comment icon #81 Posted by spacelizard667 on 19 November, 2013, 17:05
You seem to think that I have to give something more here than my own point of view, what I have said works fine for me. So in it's entirety already I have shared the explanation that I feel satisfied with. Often skeptics think that they have a right to extract more information, but so sue me because not necessarily is that your imaginary right. Not necessarily are a skeptics own views qualified any more than mine are. Skeptics often point out that 'we' are just attention seeking, so sue me but that is not a crime either. Skeptics are notorius attention getters too and they cannot ... [More]
Comment icon #82 Posted by Jacques Terreur on 19 November, 2013, 20:20
seriously, i am not a skeptic-to-the-bone, i simply want to know where you derive all your "knowledge" about aliens and big government coverups from. Since it's a discussion forum, i hoped you share a bit. If you don't wanna do it in public, you can always just PM me. And sure, you can claim and think whatever you want. I don't mind. But i also can't take you seriously as long as you take part in a thread with nothing but just stories....
Comment icon #83 Posted by psyche101 on 20 November, 2013, 3:59
Why did you just say you made ip up at the beginning instead of making out that you were privy to secret information departed to you? You were even asked outright, and you still danced round the issue for two more pages. Like this: and this: And at the end of it all, we find you just made some stuff up and it was influenced by woo woo websites. If you claim to have fact, then yes, it is anyones right to expect supporting information that you made that claim to. Sue is not what is done in discussion forums, the currency here is credibility, and right now, you're dead broke... [More]
Comment icon #84 Posted by Jacques Terreur on 20 November, 2013, 5:15
nice post Psyche, and that part above almost killed me!
Comment icon #85 Posted by psyche101 on 20 November, 2013, 5:47
Cheers Brah, I just do not get where he is coming from, one second it is secret information, next thing you know we find, and as suspected, it's just another imagination. People seem to think they are special because their imagination is unique, but so are bungholes.

Unknown entity in Gibraltar
7-9-2014 | Gibraltar

The witch house
7-6-2014 | North Dakota, United States

Wake up, sleepyhead...
7-2-2014 | Maryland, United States

Our haunted house
6-28-2014 | Los Angeles, California

Blanket hand
6-28-2014 | Kentucky, United States

Shadow people
6-23-2014 | Oxfordshire, England

Mysterious light in the fog
6-20-2014 | Ganstead, East Yorkshire