Tuesday, July 7, 2015   |   5,008 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Dream Chaser test succeeds despite glitch

Posted on Wednesday, 30 October, 2013 | Comment icon 15 comments

The Dream Chaser's design is very similar to NASA's space shuttles. Image Credit: NASA / Ken Ulbrich
The first test flight of a new prototype space plane went according to plan aside from a slight mishap.
Developed by Sierra Nevada Corp in partnership with NASA, the Dream Chaser is intended to act as a replacement to the retired space shuttle fleet by providing a way for astronauts to fly back and forth from the International Space Station.

The vehicle, which resembles a miniature space shuttle, took a big step forwards on Saturday when a successful glide test was conducted at Edwards Air Force Base in California. The plane was lifted to a height of 12,500ft before being released and took one minute to glide back down to the runway.

The flight went almost perfectly except for a problem with one of the landing gears which did not deploy, resulting in the plane skidding on to the sand. Despite the setback however the test was deemed a success.

When completed, the Dream Chaser will be capable of taking off vertically on an Atlas V rocket and carrying up to seven astronauts to the space station before returning to the Earth.

Source: Sky News | Comments (15)

Tags: Dream Chaser

Comment icon #6 Posted by pallidin on 30 October, 2013, 21:38
I would agree. A "glitch" is considered semi non-cosequential unless on a hard level, but a failure on landing gear deployment is potentially fatal. Waspie, please do not try to refute that. I know you will try, as the craft "slided"
Comment icon #7 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 30 October, 2013, 23:16
Don't tell me what I (or anyone else ) can or can't say. Not only is it annoying it is also against the rules of this site: Besides I don't need to refute it, SNC have already done that, and they really DO know what they are talking about. When you have designed and flown a prototype spacecraft you will be in a position to argue with them.
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 31 October, 2013, 1:46
OK, so how exactly is a "glitch" in a failure of the landing gear be considered other than a MAJOR potentially catastrophic event? I do not view that as a "glitch", rather a substantial concern. That's my view anyway. Thank you, and sorry for my previous perceived attack.
Comment icon #9 Posted by DONTEATUS on 31 October, 2013, 3:32
Is there any footage of the Dream Chaser going off the end ?
Comment icon #10 Posted by seeder on 31 October, 2013, 7:42
No I already looked, they said they are holding that footage back for 'analysis' etc
Comment icon #11 Posted by Uncle Sam on 31 October, 2013, 8:05
And I thought NASA wasn't going to get a replacement for the space shuttle. I thought for sure that the space shuttle would be the last of its kind, leaving NASA unable to repair any equipment that they have up there that is not connected directly to the space station. This is very good news! ... Obama better not kill this shuttle before it gets a chance to shine or I will be extremely p***ed. Most fatal accidents happen during re-entry of the atmosphere. By the time the shuttle halfway towards landing, it's airspeed is very close to a regular jet landing and can easily incorpo... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by Leonardo on 31 October, 2013, 12:05
Fluffy dice in the cockpit!
Comment icon #13 Posted by skookum on 31 October, 2013, 15:52
The wheel failure may have actually done them a favour in a strange sort of way. I understand it survived the incident very well and all onboard equipment was unscathed.
Comment icon #14 Posted by seeder on 1 November, 2013, 11:59
Heres a quote: "Everything worked well for the automated Dream Chaser model until the end, when the left landing gear deployed too late and the test vehicle skidded off the runway". Company space systems chief Mark Sirangelo said Tuesday that damage was minor. "The left gear was still attached and the tire wasn't even shredded, he said. The crew cabin area was unscathed and astronauts would have been uninjured, he said. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2479658/Baby-shuttle-stellar-takeoff-landing-gear-deployed-late-skidded-runway.html
Comment icon #15 Posted by DONTEATUS on 3 November, 2013, 23:45
ITs still a Step into the Right Directions ! Keep-em-Flying !

Was she my spirit guide?
7-3-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

Floating above my bed
7-2-2015 | Brittany, France

The haunted Queenslander
7-2-2015 | Queensland, Australia

'IT' was there to take me!
7-2-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

My haunted basement apartment
7-1-2015 | Washington DC

Stange happenings one summer
6-23-2015 | Lynchburg, South Carolina

Soulmates in another life ?
6-11-2015 | Florida, United States