Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Snake-handling preacher dies of snake bite

Posted on Monday, 17 February, 2014 | Comment icon 118 comments

The snakes were handled as part of church services. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Aaron Goodwin
Pastor Jamie Coots is believed to have died after being bitten on the right hand by a rattlesnake.
Coots had become a well known figure due to his appearances on the National Geographic show "Snake Salvation" which focused on exploring the unusual snake handling practices at his church in Bell County.

According to a report from Middlesboro Police, Coots was bitten on the hand during a service on Sunday night and was found dead in his home at around 10pm after refusing to accept medical assistance.

The experienced snake handler had believed strongly in his use of the animals and often insisted that he could never be bitten as long as he still possessed the power of God.

"We use them in religious ceremonies and I believe as for me, if I don't have them there to use I'm not obeying the word of God," he once said.

Source: WDBJ7.com | Comments (118)

Tags: Jamie Coots, Snake

Comment icon #109 Posted by Almagest on 25 February, 2014, 14:55
Latest - Jamie Coots bite death: Pastorís son uses same snake that killed dad in church services http://metro.co.uk/2...rvices-4316364/ Well I guess since he failed to make a good impression on his son he's an even bigger idiot. I'm glad they didn't kill the snake though, it's the only character in the story who gets any sympathy from me.
Comment icon #110 Posted by White Crane Feather on 25 February, 2014, 15:12
Comment icon #111 Posted by ambelamba on 25 February, 2014, 16:28
Being a born-again nihilist, I find the concept of conviction rather foolish.
Comment icon #112 Posted by Almagest on 25 February, 2014, 17:23
Some people hang by their pectorals by hooks, some stick large needles through their face, some wander into the wilderness alone, some isolate themselves in little huts for years at a time, some handle snakes. To each their own. And they're entitled to do that. Doesn't mean they aren't stupid. I'm sure people think some of my hobbies are stupid, too.
Comment icon #113 Posted by davros of skaro on 25 February, 2014, 17:25
If these Preachers just let there wives do the Snake handling in the bedroom, and leave the real Snakes to nature, then there would be no problem.
Comment icon #114 Posted by White Crane Feather on 25 February, 2014, 18:16
And they're entitled to do that. Doesn't mean they aren't stupid. I'm sure people think some of my hobbies are stupid, too. That dosnt mean that they are. Who is the judge of stupid.... Is it you?
Comment icon #115 Posted by fullywired on 26 February, 2014, 15:48
Some people hang by their pectorals by hooks, some stick large needles through their face, some wander into the wilderness alone, some isolate themselves in little huts for years at a time, some handle snakes. To each their own. I notice you only mentioned strange people and not normal fullywired
Comment icon #116 Posted by maximusnow on 13 March, 2014, 16:05
This is a complicated argument, where do we draw the line? This could be, give an inch and loose a mile, for multiple freedoms. What if suicide was part of a belief system? Or murder? What if the laws read all singular God worshipers are Hate groups, due to its stance against certain practices? I do not believe in snake handling as a form of worship, but I support their choice to worship in that way. I know that I may die every time I travel in an automobile, but I am not committing suicide by driving. When I give my wife the keys and God forbid she dies in a crash, I am not a murderer. If I b... [More]
Comment icon #117 Posted by Azznerak the Black on 3 April, 2014, 21:31
Comment icon #118 Posted by Ryu on 3 April, 2014, 23:58
Hard to believe that someone who handled poisonous snakes would have been bitten. Next you'll tell me a shark wrestler drowned... Are you being sarcastic? Sometimes it is hard to tell on a forum.

Strange new perfume smells just like a comet
6-28-2016
A British company has created a peculiar new perfume which matches the otherworldly aroma of comet 67P.
Mammoth fossils found under street in Mexico
6-28-2016
The well-preserved 14,000-year-old remains were unearthed by utility workers in the city of Tultepec.
Human magnetic 'sixth sense' discovered
6-27-2016
A researcher in the United States believes he has found evidence of a magnetic 'sixth sense' in humans.
'Dancing mania' mystery endures 600 years on
6-27-2016
A peculiar affliction once left hundreds of people dancing uncontrollably in the streets of Europe.
How MythBusters saved a woman's life
Posted 6-27-2016 | 3 comments
A woman whose car careened in to a lake was saved by an episode of MythBusters.

Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 3 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Space is trying to kill us
Posted 6-23-2016 | 1 comment
How do astronauts survive in space and what happens after they return to Earth ?

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah