Saturday, March 17, 2018

Giant isopod dies after 5-year hunger strike

Posted on Monday, 17 February, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

Giant isopods live in the depths of the ocean. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 OpenCage
The huge deep sea crustacean was kept at a Japanese aquarium and hadn't eaten for 1,869 days.
The peculiar creature sprung to fame after footage of it appeared online and the story of its sudden refusal to eat went viral. One of nine giant isopods kept at Japan's Toba Aquarium, the last thing it was thought to have eaten was some fish back on January 2nd 2009.

Measuring an average of up to 36cm in length, giant isopods are rarely seen but are thought to be abundant in the cold depths of the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. A relative of the common woodlouse, the isopods are of little interest to fishermen and the few that are caught tend to end up being scavenged before they can be reeled in.

"It's sad that we were unable to feed it," said Takeya Moritaki of the aquarium's breeding research department. "I'm grateful to have had it, since it helped to create an opportunity to bring giant isopods into the spotlight."

Source: The Japan News | Comments (21)

Tags: Isopod

Comment icon #12 Posted by pallidin on 18 February, 2014, 3:29
Actually, some animals can live for far longer than 5 years without food if they enter a dormant state. Tardigrades, for example, can perform "cryptobiosis", where they dry themselves out and can last for decades, if not centuries, without food or water. You're right, my bad. I should have said no active creature. Again, though, as I recall from reading somewhere a while ago, that specific isopod would no longer eat it's native food source, whatever that is, so they infused the tank water with nutrients, which kept it alive for 5 more years. Wish I had the link. Sorry.
Comment icon #13 Posted by beelzebufo on 18 February, 2014, 3:41
You're right, my bad. I should have said no active creature. Again, though, as I recall from reading somewhere a while ago, that specific isopod would no longer eat it's native food source, whatever that is, so they infused the tank water with nutrients, which kept it alive for 5-years. Wish I had the link. Sorry. Yeah I wasn't saying you were wrong about the isopod, I just got the sudden urge to be a smart***.
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 18 February, 2014, 3:48
I hear you. I do that myself from time-to-time; for myself especially after a beer or 2 Still, you gave good info, thanks.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Rogue Suga on 18 February, 2014, 3:54
Poor thing
Comment icon #16 Posted by coolguy on 18 February, 2014, 4:41
Rip.thats cool looking they should have put it back in the ocean
Comment icon #17 Posted by EllJay on 18 February, 2014, 4:51
Horrible creature, looks like it's taken out of a horror movie. I can't help feel itchy and scratch myself all over when I see it. But it's to bad that he died though. Could be many different things that held him from eating. He might not function that well when he is out of the water pressure he is used to at the bottom, or the light he gets. Down there it's pitch dark, and it might have screwed with his senses or something, who knows. Here is a face only a mother could love.
Comment icon #18 Posted by MJNYC on 18 February, 2014, 15:18
they should have released it.
Comment icon #19 Posted by mesuma on 18 February, 2014, 23:51
They should eat it, only seems right.
Comment icon #20 Posted by beelzebufo on 19 February, 2014, 5:24
I wonder how it would taste. Maybe like a really big shrimp?
Comment icon #21 Posted by Xynoplas on 19 February, 2014, 19:56
In other news, the cafeteria has a new menu item.

Elongated skulls belonged to 'foreign' brides
Researchers have been unraveling the mystery of elongated skulls discovered in southern Germany.
Plane in Russia drops three tons of gold bars
Bars worth up to $368 million rained down after the aircraft suffered damage during takeoff on Thursday.
Court rejects man's claim that he is not dead
A Romanian court has formally rejected Constantin Reliu's claim that he is actually very much alive.
Harpoon could drag satellites out of the sky
Airbus has been developing a new type of harpoon in an effort to reduce the build-up of space junk in orbit.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Baby elephant overcomes fear of water
Posted 3-11-2018 | 2 comments
After a near-death experience, this young elephant became terrified of the water.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA