Thursday, September 21, 2017

Farmers using dowsers to tackle drought

Posted on Wednesday, 5 March, 2014 | Comment icon 92 comments

A dowser using a hazel twig to find water. Image Credit: Imperial War Museum
Californian farmers are turning to the metaphysical to help locate water sources in the absence of rain.
The controversial practice of dowsing has long been considered by some to be an effective way to discover underground sources of water or minerals. Using nothing but a pair of copper rods or wooden sticks a dowser can theoretically pinpoint where water might be found by 'feeling' for its location.

Several farms and vineyards including Bronco Wine, one of the largest wine-makers in the United States, have been using dowsers to help them find hidden sources of water during the recent dry season.

"I've used witchers for probably the last 15 to 20 years," said Bronco Wine co-owner John Franzia. "Seems like the witchers do the better job than the guys with all the electrical equipment. I believe in them."

Not everyone is convinced that dowsing is an effective or reliable technique however. Many scientists, including those at the US Geological Survey, believe that there is little evidence to support the idea that dowsing actually works.

"The natural explanation of 'successful' water dowsing is that in many areas water would be hard to miss," the agency wrote in a report.

Source: Washington Post | Comments (92)

Tags: Water, Dowsing, Drought

Comment icon #83 Posted by Br Cornelius on 10 March, 2014, 7:21
Yawn. Since you haven't actually engaged with any of my points so far = this is hardly surprising. Br Cornelius
Comment icon #84 Posted by Peter B on 10 March, 2014, 11:01
Randi's million dollars is not going to be won, because it is there to prop up the material reductionist paradigm. http://stevevolk.com/archives/1040 I don't know about the Australian test, haven't heard of it before. Well, dismiss Randi if you will. How about testing dowsers against each other? Invite a group of dowsers to examine a field one at a time. Choose a result for them to provide - for example, the best two locations to drill for water, or the location of underground watercourses. And, assuming they haven't colluded and don't know the location they'll be dowsing, see if they come up ... [More]
Comment icon #85 Posted by 6.6.6 on 14 March, 2014, 12:41
Watch "Derren in the desert with dowsing rods - Derren B" on YouTube Derren in the desert with dowsing rods - Derren B:
Comment icon #86 Posted by Calibeliever on 14 March, 2014, 14:49
Comment icon #87 Posted by 6.6.6 on 14 March, 2014, 15:03
He I think Brown is briiliant. The above video is, of course, not an example of dowsing. It is an example of expert manipulation through suggestion. If he hadn't been talking that man would have wandered for hours out there. He is quite fascinating! Have you seen the clip of him debunking the clairvoyants?
Comment icon #88 Posted by Mike D boy on 20 March, 2014, 0:28
Comment icon #89 Posted by Br Cornelius on 20 March, 2014, 7:55
The impact of California's drought will cost more in our wallets by a predicted 3.5 percent rise in food prices this year. Seriousness of the drought is going to hurt both farmers and consumers in the long run. Farmers protested against the state government and EPA to reduce water supply regulations, but nothing gets done. It is not sensible to allow the farmers to drain all of the natural water sources and kill those habitats. This is a form of ecocide. The EPA has a duty to ensure that farmers behave sustainably - so they are just performing their mandate. The problem of Californian drought ... [More]
Comment icon #90 Posted by highdesert50 on 2 April, 2014, 11:38
Although there is debate even in scientific communities (e.g. Enright vs Betz) much of the research regarding dowsing has found the process to be largely attributable to chance effects. Problems with research arise when considering baselines such as taking into account the ability to interpret the landscape for signs of water (e.g. Zusne and Jones, 1989).
Comment icon #91 Posted by regeneratia on 5 October, 2014, 0:39
I dowse. Have read about three books on it. I use copper rods, the pendulum and sometimes twigs. When i had to have shoulder surg., I dowsed for a place in my yard to sit where it would enhance my healting. It works. I healed quite rapidly with very little pain, probably partially due to just remeditating recovery and making things around the house to help with positioning, buying clothes that would make recovery easy and using xtra strength ben gay with a heated rice bag, which killed pain almost instantly. And then taking nutritional supplements. But I did sit in the dowsed spot for mere min... [More]
Comment icon #92 Posted by Merc14 on 5 October, 2014, 2:03

550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY