Monday, April 23, 2018

Astronaut recalls encounter with a UFO

Posted on Tuesday, 4 March, 2014 | Comment icon 302 comments

Chiao aboard the space station. Image Credit: NASA
Space veteran Leroy Chiao has recently opened up about an unusual sighting he had in space in 2005.
The pioneering astronaut had been the commander of the International Space Station during his stay there between October 2004 and April 2005. The UFO experience in question took place during a space walk with Russian cosmonaut Salizhan Sharipov.

The two men had been setting up navigational antennae outside the station when Chiao caught sight of a row of lights whizzing past at more than 17,000 miles an hour. He recalled at the time thinking that it was "awfully strange" however Sharipov failed to see them.

The story has since gained significant interest among UFO believers who have argued over whether or not Chiao had witnessed something otherworldly. Skeptics have countered by suggesting that the lights could have been from a fishing boat on the ocean several hundred miles below.

"I'm skeptical of claims," said Chiao on the subject of extraterrestrial visitation. "I don't rule it out 100 percent. I have an open mind and I do believe there's other life in the universe."

Source: Liberty Voice | Comments (302)

Tags: UFO, Astronaut, Leroy Chiao

Comment icon #293 Posted by JimOberg on 14 March, 2014, 1:14
.... So even though we may see things differently, I believe the man be both honorable, and honest with his conclusions. And do not believe he is out to discredit anything. Thanks, Forever formerly-called-cursed-but-hereafter-known-to-me-as-'Blessed'. It's better than that, even -- I have no way to disprove, or reason to doubt, that humanity could be under observation by non-human intelligence who remain as undetectable as THEY prefer. I have plenty of reason to hold the opinion that numerous human groups have exploited public interest in UFOs as camouflage for their own actions, often serendi... [More]
Comment icon #294 Posted by quillius on 14 March, 2014, 9:20
Thanks, Forever formerly-called-cursed-but-hereafter-known-to-me-as-'Blessed'. It's better than that, even -- I have no way to disprove, or reason to doubt, that humanity could be under observation by non-human intelligence who remain as undetectable as THEY prefer. I have plenty of reason to hold the opinion that numerous human groups have exploited public interest in UFOs as camouflage for their own actions, often serendipitously, occasionally on purpose. And the degree of human misinterpretation of some kinds of stimuli is absolutely unbelievable until you have enough well-documented occasi... [More]
Comment icon #295 Posted by seeder on 14 March, 2014, 16:28
What a great post Jim. I think this somehow captures the position of many of us on this subject. Indeed - I'm with quillius
Comment icon #296 Posted by sinewave on 15 March, 2014, 17:54
i wonder why astronauts, such as Gordon Cooper, aren't contributors to a Forum like this? i imagine 'they' are very disinterested in the mal-eloquent posturing of uninformed "critical thinkers" who insist that any incidence of contact with "flying saucers" is erroneous and/or cannot be substantiated. I, for one, am much more inclined to believe the first hand accounts of honorable men; as opposed to the "researched" conclusions of armchair observers. Or perhaps they want to see something more than a story told by someone they don't know let alone trust. Is that an unreasonable request?
Comment icon #297 Posted by sinewave on 15 March, 2014, 18:00
This really is far afield of the local theme... The DC flyover was the theme of several TV spots my small production company did in the mid-1990s, I was able to interview the AF officer who debriefed the pilots as they returned, and we interviewed other figures still alive forty years later. I have the tapes and ought to put them on youtube sooner or later -- if I mailed somebody a VHS, could they convert it into postable form? The impression from the folks nearest the action was that the pilots were chasing phantoms and shadows -- there was nothing physical up in the air with them. The Walton... [More]
Comment icon #298 Posted by Jeepguy2014 on 11 April, 2014, 23:36
So when did he first report this? Seems strange that he was the only one who saw it....could it have been a reflection on his vizor? And how did he work out they were going at 17,000 miles an hour? Maybe he had some help calculating the speed by having NASA re-play the video in slow motion. You know there has to be a video of this as surly they record anytime the astronauts are outside of the space station.
Comment icon #299 Posted by JimOberg on 12 April, 2014, 4:07
Maybe he had some help calculating the speed by having NASA re-play the video in slow motion. You know there has to be a video of this as surly they record anytime the astronauts are outside of the space station. Old American humorist Will Rogers: "It ain't what you don't know what makes you look foolish, it's what you DO know what ain't so." Your comment is a perfect illustration of why so many UFO eager-believers are so easily dismissed as fantasy-prone individuals. More's the pity, we share so many motives and fascinations.
Comment icon #300 Posted by ChrLzs on 12 April, 2014, 5:34
The DC flyover was the theme of several TV spots my small production company did in the mid-1990s, I was able to interview the AF officer who debriefed the pilots as they returned, and we interviewed other figures still alive forty years later. I have the tapes and ought to put them on youtube sooner or later -- if I mailed somebody a VHS, could they convert it into postable form? The impression from the folks nearest the action was that the pilots were chasing phantoms and shadows -- there was nothing physical up in the air with them. Sadly I didn't see this earlier - I'd love to see that foo... [More]
Comment icon #301 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 April, 2014, 18:49
Comment icon #302 Posted by Merc14 on 12 April, 2014, 21:22
'STAND-DOWN AMERICA' There's "nothing there" say Experts, "phantoms and shadows". Go crazy America, there is always "something there" say "experts".

'Super Earth' aliens may be trapped by gravity
4-23-2018
On planets more massive than the Earth, launching things in to space will be a lot more challenging.
Bill Gates backs 'big brother' satellite network
4-23-2018
Known as EarthNow, the project aims to offer live streaming of the entire planet 24 hours a day.
Asteroid mining could be worth trillions
4-22-2018
According to Goldman Sachs, asteroid mining has the potential to produce the world's first trillionaires.
Mind control documents released by accident
4-22-2018
A file recently released by the US government contains information about 'psycho-electric weapons'.
What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA