Saturday, July 22, 2017

Scientists discover 'chicken from Hell'

Posted on Thursday, 20 March, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

Anzu had a peculiar crest on the top of its head. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Kabacchi
Archaeologists have unearthed a strange bird-like dinosaur dating back more than 66 million years.
Known as Anzu wyliei, the species would have resembled something of a cross between a bird and a reptile with its beak-like head, bony crest and a long lizard-like tail. A US team discovered definitive evidence of the creature in the form of fossils unearthed at sites in North and South Dakota.

"Anzu is really bizarre, even by dinosaur standards," said palaeontologist Hans Sues. "The skull has this extraordinarily tall and thin crest with a snout and a huge beak with sharp edges and a strange sliding jaw joint."

Its appearance, combined with the fact that some of the fossils were found at a location known as Hell Creek, lead researchers to nickname it "the chicken from Hell".

"We had inklings that there might be such a creature out there, but now with these bones we have 80% of the skeleton and can really look in detail at the structure of this animal and make inferences about its biology," said Sues.

Source: BBC News | Comments (15)

Tags: dinosaur, bird

Comment icon #6 Posted by Junior Chubb on 20 March, 2014, 13:01
When I read "chicken from hell" I imagined a large chicken covered in blood holding a knife with it's wing. I just imagined a meal at KFC
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado on 20 March, 2014, 14:24
Wouldn't wanna run into one of them lol Maybe it was a harmless, fearful critter. A chicken chicken.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MJNYC on 20 March, 2014, 14:25
Did a search for an artist's rendering: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-20/chicken-from-hell-anzu-wyliei-feathered-dinosaur/5331422
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 20 March, 2014, 19:06
Comment icon #10 Posted by Zirna on 20 March, 2014, 20:12
Maybe it's an ancestor to the guinea chicken. They are pretty mean. Farmers use them as te "watchdog" of the barnyard. They are very agressive to people they don't know. They also create one hell of a racket. Knew a man who used guinea's as watch dogs for the gas pump at his store. He would keep a pile of corn right between the two pumps and the guinea's never wandered to far.
Comment icon #11 Posted by JustTerri on 20 March, 2014, 22:41
lol Maybe it was a harmless, fearful critter. A chicken chicken. Lol. Possibly but I have a real life fear of chickens. I know it sounds rediculous lol my aunt used to have a chicken coop on her farm and the rooster chased me when I was 5. Lol
Comment icon #12 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 21 March, 2014, 12:52
Chicken from Hell? I call that rotisserie. Add sauce of choice and enjoy!
Comment icon #13 Posted by Frank Merton on 21 March, 2014, 13:05
Feed quite a few people; I understand it was the size of a medium size car.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Taun on 21 March, 2014, 13:22
I read the article and maybe I misssed it, but how do they know that this critter had feathers?... Not contesting the idea, just curious...
Comment icon #15 Posted by hammerclaw on 21 May, 2014, 19:16
Dinosaur young, at various stages of growth, filled all the ecological niches that different sized mammal species fill today.

Scientist has 'solved' the Bermuda Triangle
7-22-2017
Dr Karl Kruszelnicki maintains that the answer to the mystery lies in little more than basic human error.
Scientists develop bizarre worm-like robot
7-22-2017
Stanford University researchers have built a robot that can literally worm its way around anything.
Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Free diver hits bottom of world's deepest pool
7-21-2017
A new video shows veteran free diver Guillaume Nery descending 131ft underwater on only one lungful of air.
Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 0 comments

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI