Saturday, September 23, 2017

Scientists discover 'chicken from Hell'

Posted on Thursday, 20 March, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

Anzu had a peculiar crest on the top of its head. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Kabacchi
Archaeologists have unearthed a strange bird-like dinosaur dating back more than 66 million years.
Known as Anzu wyliei, the species would have resembled something of a cross between a bird and a reptile with its beak-like head, bony crest and a long lizard-like tail. A US team discovered definitive evidence of the creature in the form of fossils unearthed at sites in North and South Dakota.

"Anzu is really bizarre, even by dinosaur standards," said palaeontologist Hans Sues. "The skull has this extraordinarily tall and thin crest with a snout and a huge beak with sharp edges and a strange sliding jaw joint."

Its appearance, combined with the fact that some of the fossils were found at a location known as Hell Creek, lead researchers to nickname it "the chicken from Hell".

"We had inklings that there might be such a creature out there, but now with these bones we have 80% of the skeleton and can really look in detail at the structure of this animal and make inferences about its biology," said Sues.

Source: BBC News | Comments (15)

Tags: dinosaur, bird

Comment icon #6 Posted by Junior Chubb on 20 March, 2014, 13:01
When I read "chicken from hell" I imagined a large chicken covered in blood holding a knife with it's wing. I just imagined a meal at KFC
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado on 20 March, 2014, 14:24
Wouldn't wanna run into one of them lol Maybe it was a harmless, fearful critter. A chicken chicken.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MJNYC on 20 March, 2014, 14:25
Did a search for an artist's rendering: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-20/chicken-from-hell-anzu-wyliei-feathered-dinosaur/5331422
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 20 March, 2014, 19:06
Comment icon #10 Posted by Zirna on 20 March, 2014, 20:12
Maybe it's an ancestor to the guinea chicken. They are pretty mean. Farmers use them as te "watchdog" of the barnyard. They are very agressive to people they don't know. They also create one hell of a racket. Knew a man who used guinea's as watch dogs for the gas pump at his store. He would keep a pile of corn right between the two pumps and the guinea's never wandered to far.
Comment icon #11 Posted by JustTerri on 20 March, 2014, 22:41
lol Maybe it was a harmless, fearful critter. A chicken chicken. Lol. Possibly but I have a real life fear of chickens. I know it sounds rediculous lol my aunt used to have a chicken coop on her farm and the rooster chased me when I was 5. Lol
Comment icon #12 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 21 March, 2014, 12:52
Chicken from Hell? I call that rotisserie. Add sauce of choice and enjoy!
Comment icon #13 Posted by Frank Merton on 21 March, 2014, 13:05
Feed quite a few people; I understand it was the size of a medium size car.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Taun on 21 March, 2014, 13:22
I read the article and maybe I misssed it, but how do they know that this critter had feathers?... Not contesting the idea, just curious...
Comment icon #15 Posted by hammerclaw on 21 May, 2014, 19:16
Dinosaur young, at various stages of growth, filled all the ecological niches that different sized mammal species fill today.

100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY