Monday, July 24, 2017

Scientists use machine to read minds

Posted on Sunday, 30 March, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Can a machine really read your mind ? Image Credit: CC 2.0 Andrew Mason
A new technique is able to see and accurately reconstruct images directly from a person's mind.
Researchers at Yale University conducted an experiment in which the brains of 30 volunteers were scanned using an MRI scanner while they were browsing through a selection of 300 photographs of people's faces.

Using nothing more than the neural activity data from the scans, the team was able to then reconstruct the specific faces that each volunteer was thinking about. The results were nothing if not remarkable with the reconstructed faces consistently bearing a close resemblance to the actual photographs.

"It is mind reading," said graduate student Alan S. Cowen. "You can see how people perceive faces depending on different disorders, like autism - and use that to help diagnose therapies."

Despite the success of the technique however there is still a long way to go before such a system could retrieve any memories you wanted from a person's mind.

"This sort of technology can only read active parts of the brain," said Cowen. "So you couldn't read passive memories - you would have to get the person to imagine the memory to read it."

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (20)

Tags: Mind Reading, Brain

Comment icon #11 Posted by third_eye on 29 March, 2014, 23:22
Comment icon #12 Posted by freetoroam on 29 March, 2014, 23:53
I am already putting together the Undercurrent Resistance Council ~ I am not an image ~ ~ your Alpha numerical code is ready, please collect from basement:
Comment icon #13 Posted by third_eye on 29 March, 2014, 23:55
Can I have mine about 6mm to the left ... to counteract my droopy eyelid and balanced out my handsomeness ~
Comment icon #14 Posted by Likely Guy on 30 March, 2014, 5:33
If this was closer to Apil 1st, I'd say B.S. Mmm. This is B.S.
Comment icon #15 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 30 March, 2014, 14:13
Would be so scary to have funny fantasies by then
Comment icon #16 Posted by seeder on 30 March, 2014, 14:56
If this was closer to Apil 1st, I'd say B.S. Mmm. This is B.S. This is NOT BS! Dont you keep up with science and tech? It was already being touted in 2013, check the link Reading Minds: Brain Scans Create Pictures of What You See. August 26, 2013 http://www.livescience.com/39175-brain-scans-read-letters.html
Comment icon #17 Posted by regeneratia on 30 March, 2014, 18:38
I honestly do not believe this. READ, don't watch, "The Minority Report", by P. K. Dick, for a concept on how this research can be misused. His accuracy on the actions of our armed forces Generals is amazing as well.
Comment icon #18 Posted by DeWitz on 30 March, 2014, 23:56
Combine this technology with what we already know about 'Recovered Memory Syndrome,' and you have--at the very least-- a forensic Black Hole to contend with. Where is the assurance that either the original remembered face (or other attribute), or the electronic reconstruction, are dependable to establish anything "real." Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable. Why reconstruct unreliable memories?
Comment icon #19 Posted by pallidin on 31 March, 2014, 6:48
seeder... that article is not entirely accurate at all. What actually happened is that the "reconstruction" was from a computer averaging of many subjects(I think 30, could be wrong) that created the end-result "image" The original, validated study, showed that individual images from the individuals were VERY grainy. Practically useless. That's why there was the computer compilation from the 30. Nonetheless, a great step forward.
Comment icon #20 Posted by JustTerri on 2 April, 2014, 15:08
I'd better keep my distance from it..

New species of giant sunfish discovered
7-24-2017
Marine researcher Marianne Nyegaard has identified the first new species of sunfish in over 130 years.
Nazi gold reportedly found in WWII shipwreck
7-24-2017
A chest thought to be filled with Nazi gold has been found in the wreckage of the scuttled SS Minden.
Mystery woman 'wails through letterboxes'
7-23-2017
Several households in England have been plagued by a woman crying through their letterboxes at night.
Robot ventures inside Fukushima reactor 3
7-23-2017
Scientists in Japan have identified what could be fuel debris within the devastated nuclear reactor.
Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI