Wednesday, November 25, 2015   |   6,604 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Indian man is addicted to eating bricks

Posted on Saturday, 12 April, 2014 | Comment icon 41 comments

Hunagundi is unable to live without indulging in his peculiar habit. Image Credit: YouTube / Barcroft TV
Pakkirappa Hunagundi suffers from a rare condition that sees him crave bricks, gravel and mud.
Known as Pica, the unusual ailment sees the sufferer crave inedible substances or objects with no nutritional value in place of conventional food.

"I only like mud and bricks, nothing else," says Hunagundi who has lived on the peculiar diet for most of his life. "I will eat it because it is my habit. I need it every day. I can't stop."

The 30-year-old eats an average of one brick a day and several kilograms of mud and gravel. His friends and family have attempted to get him to stop but he is either unable or unwilling to do so.

"Even if you give me fried chicken, I want mud at any cost," he says.

Source: Metro | Comments (41)

Tags: Pica, Bricks

Comment icon #32 Posted by sam_comm on 13 April, 2014, 15:53
His teeth will not last him long.. And it must hard at times for the bowels..
Comment icon #33 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 13 April, 2014, 16:04
he should make a video diary to claim he is a full-time brick eater
Comment icon #34 Posted by Harry_Dresden on 13 April, 2014, 21:15 the very least why doesn't he pound the brink into a sandy consistency and make a curry outta it...
Comment icon #35 Posted by Ryu on 13 April, 2014, 21:37
Can only imagine the amount of lead, mercury and other toxic metals he ingests that are often present in clay and stuff. Also ones health tend to deteriorate pretty quick as the body cannot get the nutrients it needs.
Comment icon #36 Posted by Celticfan34 on 14 April, 2014, 12:55
He's done it for almost 20 years believe video said since he was 12 so his teeth and health lasted this long many have died younger lol not eating bricks, mud dirt
Comment icon #37 Posted by seeder on 15 April, 2014, 10:35
These are not just any bricks... but...the richest, choicest, mmmmm... M&S bricks Yes I will admit to this behaviour, as a child in school I would eat my pencils, there was a brand, red with black stripes and black enamelled type of domed end, and damn I loved those. Not the lead bit of course,. just the wood, seemed to taste 'medicated' and I would have bits of red paint from the pencils stuck to my teeth! My mum soon got letters asking me to bring my own pencils, Plus those pregnant women who eat clay too Clay Eating Among Pregnant Women One of the most common human po... [More]
Comment icon #38 Posted by seeder on 15 April, 2014, 10:47
Plus, just down the road in Pakistan they are eating corpses
Comment icon #39 Posted by RhiannonB77 on 17 April, 2014, 12:20
I am surprised he has any teeth left.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Ryu on 17 April, 2014, 13:13
I am surprised his parents allowed him to continue with this insanity. They probably thought it was "cute".
Comment icon #41 Posted by cenobite on 28 April, 2014, 17:26
gives new meaning to the phrase '****ting bricks'

Users online:
Mars may one day have its own ring system
Phobos, one of the two small moons of Mars, could eventually break apart and encircle the planet.
Google built prototype Star Trek communicator
The search giant once attempted to develop a real-life version of the Star Trek communicator badge.
Child's tumor shrinks after kiss from Pope
A baby's unexpected recovery has been attributed to divine intervention after a meeting with the Pope.
US and China work together to avoid space war
A new space hotline has been set up between the two countries to help prevent future misunderstandings.
Tap-dancing birds
Posted 11-25-2015 | 0 comments
The blue-capped cordon bleu exhibits a rather unusual courtship behavior.
The most radioactive places on Earth
Posted 11-24-2015 | 0 comments
A look at the relative amounts of radiation at some of the world's most radioactive sites.
Will a sinking ship suck you down ?
Posted 11-23-2015 | 1 comment
Jamie and Adam investigate whether a sinking ship will pull the passengers underwater.
Can young blood reverse ageing ?
Posted 11-22-2015 | 0 comments
Tony Wyss-Coray explores ageing and the possible ways in which we might slow it down.
Dog is trained to tackle poachers
Posted 11-21-2015 | 2 comments
Diego is a specially trained dog whose job it is to help authorities put a stop to illegal poaching.
Great balls of fire
10-31-2015 | West Texas
West Texas ghost town flyer
9-28-2015 | Texas
Haunted farmhouse
9-28-2015 | Cuaque, Ecuador
UFO sighting over Japan
8-13-2015 | Japan
Twin UFOs on patrol
8-6-2015 | England
Something roaming in the woods
7-19-2015 | Salt Fork, Ohio
Strange growl
7-16-2015 | Yakima, WA
Loud screeching in the woods
7-10-2015 | Kansas, IL
Was she my spirit guide?
7-3-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA