Monday, October 23, 2017

8-legged 'octogoat' born on farm in Croatia

Posted on Monday, 12 May, 2014 | Comment icon 40 comments

The 'octogoat' sleeping in the straw. Image Credit: YouTube / Mihael Hnatysyn
Not only does it have 8 legs but it also appears to possess both male and female reproductive organs.
Farmer Zoran Paparic couldn't believe his eyes when the bizarre specimen, complete with eight fully developed legs, was born on his farm to a goat named Sarka.

"I counted his legs and I thought I was seeing things," he said. "Then I called my neighbor to make sure that I am not crazy."

It is believed that the additional appendages are due to an underdeveloped twin sibling that ended up partially conjoined to the newborn. Even more unusual is the fact that as a result of the twin being female, the "octogoat" has a set of both male and female reproductive organs.

Source: YouTube | Comments (40)

Tags: Octogoat

Comment icon #31 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 6:50
This is hardly a comparison and I don't know why you keep bringing up human examples. This is about a goat, not a human and while I love animals too, they do not have the same value as a human. I certainly do not advocate cruelty and if you can help an animal that is within the means of being saved then fine. But on a farm, there is tons of work to be done and no one is going to have the time to spend watching over this thing and from what I can see, it is going to need as much care as a bed-ridden human. Even if this thing was to manage to get up, it is burdened with the task of dragging arou... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by Rose-Red Howler on 13 May, 2014, 9:22
I feel sick now
Comment icon #33 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 10:59
I feel sick now Donít, itís just few limbs more than usual. Extra limbs is not what kills some fused twins, itís the internal organs that may be also duplicated and may be in a mess. Like, having one heart to pump for four kidneys and god knows what else. Some extra organs may be functional, others not, some combinations may be viable, others not... So itís that what we donít see that may be a problem.
Comment icon #34 Posted by SunnyBear on 14 May, 2014, 17:39
What a sad indictment on human concern, killing off something because one believes they should, for their own good...who the hell made you'all God? Nature always takes care of its own and every creature, no matter an interfering humans concern, deserves and has the right to live....and die on its own terms.... Well,I think this little one will not survive..it's not even able to walk on its own,let alone feed..this is not about "being God" as you put it(though some humans DO think they're God) it is about compassion IMO..would you want to be so cruel as to let this little one suffer before it d... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by kannin on 19 May, 2014, 14:40
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does
Comment icon #36 Posted by Junior Chubb on 19 May, 2014, 18:26
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does can
Comment icon #37 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 20 May, 2014, 9:14
Comment icon #38 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 20 May, 2014, 11:53
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now. Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? )
Comment icon #39 Posted by Junior Chubb on 29 May, 2014, 19:00
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now. Awesome entrance Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? ) I hope so, the enigma that is MahMotherFTW has begun... (cue Twilight Zone music)
Comment icon #40 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 17 June, 2014, 20:56
Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? ) Maybe... Ok, I forgot I made an account here.

Mystery surrounds poisoned trees in Norfolk
10-23-2017
Authorities have been investigating a recent 'attack' on a number of protected 200-year-old trees.
Hawking's PhD thesis released for free online
10-23-2017
The world-famous physicist hopes that his doctorate will encourage people to 'look up at the stars'.
Man swims 4.5 miles to escape deadly shark
10-23-2017
Diver John Craig had been spear fishing off the coast of Western Australia when the incident occurred.
Moon photobombs the Sun on NASA images
10-22-2017
Solar observations made by a satellite were interrupted this week when the Moon made a sneaky appearance.
One hundred million crabs
Posted 10-21-2017 | 2 comments
Christmas Island red crabs migrate in extreme numbers in this vintage BBC clip.

Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland