Thursday, March 30, 2017

8-legged 'octogoat' born on farm in Croatia

Posted on Monday, 12 May, 2014 | Comment icon 40 comments

The 'octogoat' sleeping in the straw. Image Credit: YouTube / Mihael Hnatysyn
Not only does it have 8 legs but it also appears to possess both male and female reproductive organs.
Farmer Zoran Paparic couldn't believe his eyes when the bizarre specimen, complete with eight fully developed legs, was born on his farm to a goat named Sarka.

"I counted his legs and I thought I was seeing things," he said. "Then I called my neighbor to make sure that I am not crazy."

It is believed that the additional appendages are due to an underdeveloped twin sibling that ended up partially conjoined to the newborn. Even more unusual is the fact that as a result of the twin being female, the "octogoat" has a set of both male and female reproductive organs.

Source: YouTube | Comments (40)

Tags: Octogoat

Comment icon #31 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 6:50
This is hardly a comparison and I don't know why you keep bringing up human examples. This is about a goat, not a human and while I love animals too, they do not have the same value as a human. I certainly do not advocate cruelty and if you can help an animal that is within the means of being saved then fine. But on a farm, there is tons of work to be done and no one is going to have the time to spend watching over this thing and from what I can see, it is going to need as much care as a bed-ridden human. Even if this thing was to manage to get up, it is burdened with the task of dragging arou... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by Rose-Red Howler on 13 May, 2014, 9:22
I feel sick now
Comment icon #33 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 10:59
I feel sick now Donít, itís just few limbs more than usual. Extra limbs is not what kills some fused twins, itís the internal organs that may be also duplicated and may be in a mess. Like, having one heart to pump for four kidneys and god knows what else. Some extra organs may be functional, others not, some combinations may be viable, others not... So itís that what we donít see that may be a problem.
Comment icon #34 Posted by SunnyBear on 14 May, 2014, 17:39
What a sad indictment on human concern, killing off something because one believes they should, for their own good...who the hell made you'all God? Nature always takes care of its own and every creature, no matter an interfering humans concern, deserves and has the right to live....and die on its own terms.... Well,I think this little one will not survive..it's not even able to walk on its own,let alone feed..this is not about "being God" as you put it(though some humans DO think they're God) it is about compassion IMO..would you want to be so cruel as to let this little one suffer before it d... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by kannin on 19 May, 2014, 14:40
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does
Comment icon #36 Posted by Junior Chubb on 19 May, 2014, 18:26
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does can
Comment icon #37 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 20 May, 2014, 9:14
Comment icon #38 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 20 May, 2014, 11:53
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now. Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? )
Comment icon #39 Posted by Junior Chubb on 29 May, 2014, 19:00
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now. Awesome entrance Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? ) I hope so, the enigma that is MahMotherFTW has begun... (cue Twilight Zone music)
Comment icon #40 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 17 June, 2014, 20:56
Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? ) Maybe... Ok, I forgot I made an account here.

Man eats pancakes in the middle of the road
3-29-2017
A prankster was charged this week after being filmed tucking in to pancakes at a busy intersection.
Statue of King Tut's grandmother unearthed
3-29-2017
A rare alabaster carving of Queen Tiye has been discovered along the west bank of the River Nile.
Firm plans to build upside-down skyscraper
3-29-2017
The bizarre plan would see the world's tallest building being hung upside-down from an orbiting asteroid.
Woman blames car crash on Bigfoot sighting
3-28-2017
An unidentified motorist ended up hitting a deer in her car after being distracted by a 'hairy beast'.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Bird of paradise courtship spectacle
Posted 3-29-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the extreme lengths birds of paradise go to in order to attract a mate.

Mythical monsters
Posted 3-28-2017 | 1 comment
Jeremy Wade investigates the stories behind some of the world's best known monster myths.

6ft rockets in slow motion
Posted 3-27-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys use their high-speed camera to record some rocket launches.

Most watched animal on YouTube
Posted 3-26-2017 | 2 comments
Maru the cat has accumulated more views than any other animal on the video sharing site.

ALMA's 100-ton antennas
Posted 3-25-2017 | 0 comments
A special vehicle is used to carry ALMA's ultra-heavy antennas in to place in the desert.

My nightly occurrences