Tuesday, July 26, 2016

8-legged 'octogoat' born on farm in Croatia

Posted on Monday, 12 May, 2014 | Comment icon 40 comments

The 'octogoat' sleeping in the straw. Image Credit: YouTube / Mihael Hnatysyn
Not only does it have 8 legs but it also appears to possess both male and female reproductive organs.
Farmer Zoran Paparic couldn't believe his eyes when the bizarre specimen, complete with eight fully developed legs, was born on his farm to a goat named Sarka.

"I counted his legs and I thought I was seeing things," he said. "Then I called my neighbor to make sure that I am not crazy."

It is believed that the additional appendages are due to an underdeveloped twin sibling that ended up partially conjoined to the newborn. Even more unusual is the fact that as a result of the twin being female, the "octogoat" has a set of both male and female reproductive organs.

Source: YouTube | Comments (40)

Tags: Octogoat

Comment icon #31 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 6:50
This is hardly a comparison and I don't know why you keep bringing up human examples. This is about a goat, not a human and while I love animals too, they do not have the same value as a human. I certainly do not advocate cruelty and if you can help an animal that is within the means of being saved then fine. But on a farm, there is tons of work to be done and no one is going to have the time to spend watching over this thing and from what I can see, it is going to need as much care as a bed-ridden human. Even if this thing was to manage to get up, it is burdened with the task of dragging arou... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by Rose-Red Howler on 13 May, 2014, 9:22
I feel sick now
Comment icon #33 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 10:59
I feel sick now Donít, itís just few limbs more than usual. Extra limbs is not what kills some fused twins, itís the internal organs that may be also duplicated and may be in a mess. Like, having one heart to pump for four kidneys and god knows what else. Some extra organs may be functional, others not, some combinations may be viable, others not... So itís that what we donít see that may be a problem.
Comment icon #34 Posted by SunnyBear on 14 May, 2014, 17:39
What a sad indictment on human concern, killing off something because one believes they should, for their own good...who the hell made you'all God? Nature always takes care of its own and every creature, no matter an interfering humans concern, deserves and has the right to live....and die on its own terms.... Well,I think this little one will not survive..it's not even able to walk on its own,let alone feed..this is not about "being God" as you put it(though some humans DO think they're God) it is about compassion IMO..would you want to be so cruel as to let this little one suffer before it d... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by kannin on 19 May, 2014, 14:40
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does
Comment icon #36 Posted by Junior Chubb on 19 May, 2014, 18:26
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does can
Comment icon #37 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 20 May, 2014, 9:14
Comment icon #38 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 20 May, 2014, 11:53
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now. Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? )
Comment icon #39 Posted by Junior Chubb on 29 May, 2014, 19:00
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now. Awesome entrance Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? ) I hope so, the enigma that is MahMotherFTW has begun... (cue Twilight Zone music)
Comment icon #40 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 17 June, 2014, 20:56
Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? ) Maybe... Ok, I forgot I made an account here.

NASA to digitize data from Viking landers
7-25-2016
The data recorded during the historic Viking Mars missions is set to be archived in digital form.
New Megaraptor dinosaur found in Argentina
7-25-2016
A new species of meat-eating dinosaur dating back to the Late Cretaceous has been unearthed in Patagonia.
Has 'Beast of Bodmin' mystery been solved ?
7-24-2016
A zoo owner has come forward with information that could help to explain the alien big cat phenomenon.
New metal is four times tougher than titanium
7-24-2016
Scientists have created a brand new type of super-metal by melting together titanium and gold.
Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 3 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Real-life Pokemon
Posted 7-24-2016 | 1 comment
Are there any animals in the real world that could be considered actual real-life Pokemon ?

Trans-Atlantic solar powered flight
Posted 7-23-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Solar Impulse 2, the aircraft that crossed the Atlantic using the power of the sun.

The Earth from space
Posted 7-22-2016 | 0 comments
A view of our home planet as seen through the EPIC camera on the NOAA's DSCOVR satellite

How are Oreos made ?
Posted 7-21-2016 | 2 comments
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of Oreo cookies.

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah