Friday, August 18, 2017

8-legged 'octogoat' born on farm in Croatia

Posted on Monday, 12 May, 2014 | Comment icon 40 comments

The 'octogoat' sleeping in the straw. Image Credit: YouTube / Mihael Hnatysyn
Not only does it have 8 legs but it also appears to possess both male and female reproductive organs.
Farmer Zoran Paparic couldn't believe his eyes when the bizarre specimen, complete with eight fully developed legs, was born on his farm to a goat named Sarka.

"I counted his legs and I thought I was seeing things," he said. "Then I called my neighbor to make sure that I am not crazy."

It is believed that the additional appendages are due to an underdeveloped twin sibling that ended up partially conjoined to the newborn. Even more unusual is the fact that as a result of the twin being female, the "octogoat" has a set of both male and female reproductive organs.

Source: YouTube | Comments (40)

Tags: Octogoat

Comment icon #31 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 6:50
This is hardly a comparison and I don't know why you keep bringing up human examples. This is about a goat, not a human and while I love animals too, they do not have the same value as a human. I certainly do not advocate cruelty and if you can help an animal that is within the means of being saved then fine. But on a farm, there is tons of work to be done and no one is going to have the time to spend watching over this thing and from what I can see, it is going to need as much care as a bed-ridden human. Even if this thing was to manage to get up, it is burdened with the task of dragging arou... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by Rose-Red Howler on 13 May, 2014, 9:22
I feel sick now
Comment icon #33 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 10:59
I feel sick now Donít, itís just few limbs more than usual. Extra limbs is not what kills some fused twins, itís the internal organs that may be also duplicated and may be in a mess. Like, having one heart to pump for four kidneys and god knows what else. Some extra organs may be functional, others not, some combinations may be viable, others not... So itís that what we donít see that may be a problem.
Comment icon #34 Posted by SunnyBear on 14 May, 2014, 17:39
What a sad indictment on human concern, killing off something because one believes they should, for their own good...who the hell made you'all God? Nature always takes care of its own and every creature, no matter an interfering humans concern, deserves and has the right to live....and die on its own terms.... Well,I think this little one will not survive..it's not even able to walk on its own,let alone feed..this is not about "being God" as you put it(though some humans DO think they're God) it is about compassion IMO..would you want to be so cruel as to let this little one suffer before it d... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by kannin on 19 May, 2014, 14:40
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does
Comment icon #36 Posted by Junior Chubb on 19 May, 2014, 18:26
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does can
Comment icon #37 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 20 May, 2014, 9:14
Comment icon #38 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 20 May, 2014, 11:53
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now. Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? )
Comment icon #39 Posted by Junior Chubb on 29 May, 2014, 19:00
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now. Awesome entrance Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? ) I hope so, the enigma that is MahMotherFTW has begun... (cue Twilight Zone music)
Comment icon #40 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 17 June, 2014, 20:56
Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? ) Maybe... Ok, I forgot I made an account here.

Mystery of distant Kuiper Belt object deepens
8-17-2017
The next target of NASA's New Horizons probe is a space rock with some rather intriguing properties.
Scientists solve animal evolution mystery
8-17-2017
A sea algae boom has been credited with the rise of the first complex life forms in Earth's distant past.
Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama