Thursday, September 18, 2014   |   5,740 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

8-legged 'octogoat' born on farm in Croatia

Posted on Monday, 12 May, 2014 | Comment icon 40 comments

The 'octogoat' sleeping in the straw. Image Credit: YouTube / Mihael Hnatysyn

Not only does it have 8 legs but it also appears to possess both male and female reproductive organs.

Farmer Zoran Paparic couldn't believe his eyes when the bizarre specimen, complete with eight fully developed legs, was born on his farm to a goat named Sarka.

"I counted his legs and I thought I was seeing things," he said. "Then I called my neighbor to make sure that I am not crazy."

It is believed that the additional appendages are due to an underdeveloped twin sibling that ended up partially conjoined to the newborn. Even more unusual is the fact that as a result of the twin being female, the "octogoat" has a set of both male and female reproductive organs.

Source: YouTube | Comments (40)

Tags: Octogoat

Comment icon #31 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 6:50
Because, obviously, we are mammals. Your nervous system is essentially not different than goat’s. Sure, the anatomy is different, but the way nerves work is the same. The way minds work is not the same. Great deal of what we do is determined by fear alone, and we’ve been all so fearful of imperfection lately it has become not just stupid but also dangerous. No. If the kid survives, its own limbs will work and develop, but the parasitic, underdeveloped twin’s limbs will not develop properly because they won’t be used, since this baby goat only looks like a goat wi... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by Rose-Red Howler on 13 May, 2014, 9:22
I feel sick now
Comment icon #33 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 13 May, 2014, 10:59
Don’t, it’s just few limbs more than usual. Extra limbs is not what kills some fused twins, it’s the internal organs that may be also duplicated and may be in a mess. Like, having one heart to pump for four kidneys and god knows what else. Some extra organs may be functional, others not, some combinations may be viable, others not... So it’s that what we don’t see that may be a problem.
Comment icon #34 Posted by SunnyBear on 14 May, 2014, 17:39
Well,I think this little one will not survive..it's not even able to walk on its own,let alone feed..this is not about "being God" as you put it(though some humans DO think they're God) it is about compassion IMO..would you want to be so cruel as to let this little one suffer before it dies?I have seen many euthinazations and every one of them was because the animal was suffering or in pain..this matter is up to the farmer,not us..and you know,this physical life is not "all there is"...there is so much more to ALL of us,all of God's creation than anyone can e... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by kannin on 19 May, 2014, 14:40
octogoat, octogoat does what ever an octogoat does
Comment icon #36 Posted by Junior Chubb on 19 May, 2014, 18:26
can
Comment icon #37 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 20 May, 2014, 9:14
Who's that goat with the eight strong legs? Tried to make me breakfast but broke my eggs! Octogoooooooooat! Nobody suspects a thing! OK, I'm done now.
Comment icon #38 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 20 May, 2014, 11:53
Welcome to UM! (You didn't sign up just for that one, right? )
Comment icon #39 Posted by Junior Chubb on 29 May, 2014, 19:00
Awesome entrance I hope so, the enigma that is MahMotherFTW has begun...
Comment icon #40 Posted by MahMotherFTW on 17 June, 2014, 20:56
Maybe... Ok, I forgot I made an account here.

Other recent forum topics