Thursday, August 17, 2017

Mystery surrounds man who woke up on fire

Posted on Monday, 21 July, 2014 | Comment icon 27 comments

Where had the fire come from ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Police officers are investigating an alleged case of spontaneous human combustion in Edmonton.
The unnamed man, who is believed to be around 20 years old, apparently woke up on Saturday morning to find that he was engulfed in flames.

According to witnesses the blaze had started spontaneously on his body without setting fire to the rest of the room. The victim is now being treated for second-degree burns in hospital but is refusing to co-operate with police officers investigating the incident.

"The complainant isnít saying anything, not co-operating with us," said acting Staff Sgt. Mike Wynnyk. "The witnesses arenít giving us any information other than they saw his back on fire. Thatís it. Theyíre all thinking it was spontaneous human combustion."

Wynnyk hopes that the truth will present itself in time.

"Right now itís really up in the air. Weíre as confused as everybody else is on it," he said.

Source: Edmonton Sun | Comments (27)

Tags: Spontaneous human combustion

Comment icon #18 Posted by FizzPuff on 23 July, 2014, 21:41
He's a smoker!NEXT patient!
Comment icon #19 Posted by toyomotor on 24 July, 2014, 3:46
Only ***second*** degree burns??? I'm not a specialist in burns, but it's not unheard of to get second degree burns from bad sunburn. Or in this case possibly from a flammable liquid of some kind, like some strongly alcoholic beverage. Not so strange. From around the world there are many documented cases of human spontaneous combustion, usually resulting in death. No-one knows the cause.
Comment icon #20 Posted by ChrLzs on 24 July, 2014, 4:59
Not so strange. From around the world there are many documented cases of human spontaneous combustion, usually resulting in death. No-one knows the cause. Well, actually in most cases they do, but Toyomotor, hows about you post the best documented example. As a little kid I read about this stuff and it scared me, but then I grew up and read the actual evidence...
Comment icon #21 Posted by jesspy on 24 July, 2014, 14:44
Since he's not being cooperative he's likely hiding some illegal activity... I wouldn't believe his story at face value (once he starts telling one). Pretty much what I was going to say. I am sure alcohol or drugs were involved. Or a dare gone wrong.
Comment icon #22 Posted by 95-Nasty on 26 July, 2014, 15:26
Hes refusing to co-operated with police, so makes me think there is something more to it than spontaneous human combustion!
Comment icon #23 Posted by toyomotor on 27 July, 2014, 3:14
Well, actually in most cases they do, but Toyomotor, hows about you post the best documented example. As a little kid I read about this stuff and it scared me, but then I grew up and read the actual evidence... From Wiki: Henry Thomas, a 73-year-old man, was found burned to death in the living room of his council house on the Rassau council estate in Ebbw Vale, south Wales, in 1980. His entire body was incinerated, leaving only his skull and a portion of each leg below the knee. The feet and legs were still clothed in socks and trousers. Half of the chair in which he had been sitting was also ... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by ChrLzs on 27 July, 2014, 4:00
From *your* link, that WICK EFFECT is explained this way: The "wick effect" hypothesis suggests that a small external flame source, such as a burning cigarette, chars the clothing of the victim at a location, splitting the skin and releasing subcutaneous fat, which is in turn absorbed into the burned clothing, acting as a wick. Not paranormal, not 'spontaneous'. He set fire to himself, probably accidentally.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Myles on 2 August, 2014, 2:53
I've never really believed in the spontaneous combustion theory.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Rei4ever on 6 August, 2014, 5:51
He is must be sleep walking... If he has pyrokinetic ability , He wouldn't got second degree burns
Comment icon #27 Posted by QuiteContrary on 6 August, 2014, 8:02
"Flammable liquid", "friends", "joke", "set on fire", "prank". My friends and I miss out on so much.

Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Dog turns blue due to polluted Indian River
8-15-2017
Untreated industrial waste in Mumbai's Kasadi river has been turning dogs a rather peculiar color.
Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Can Derren Brown fool a psychologist ?
Posted 8-12-2017 | 2 comments
Psychological illusionist Derren Brown takes on a professional in the field.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama