Sunday, August 20, 2017

Crowds queue up to see Corpse Flower bloom

Posted on Tuesday, 29 December, 2015 | Comment icon 5 comments

The Corpse Flower smells notoriously terrible. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Richard J. Rehman
A particularly unusual and foul-smelling flower is known to bloom only once every 1,000 days.
Native only to the rainforests of Sumatra, Amorphophallus titanum is something of a botanical oddity due to its sporadic flowering behavior and its extremely strong smell of rotting flesh.

Known as the 'Corpse Flower', the plant has proven to be a popular attraction at the Mount Lofty Botanic Garden near Adelaide where visitors have been queuing up to see the six-foot plant in bloom - something that occurs only once every three years and lasts only a matter of hours.

One of the staff, Matt Coulter, described the stench as being like that of a "dead animal".

"When I opened the glasshouse this morning it almost blew me away it is so strong," he said.

"I almost had to stop myself from throwing up it was so bad. Until you have actually experienced it, it is the first time I've actually smelt it; it's like nothing else."

One visitor described the smell as "like a rubbish bin" while others thought it smelled like "cooked broccoli that had gone off in the fridge" and even "a smelly bag of rotten fish."

Timelapse footage showing the flower coming into bloom can be viewed below.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (5)

Tags: Corpse Flower, Australia

Comment icon #1 Posted by Sundew on 29 December, 2015, 21:16
I am familiar with these and have even grown them, they are a bit on the tricky side required warmth and a lot of room. And yes, they do smell pretty awful in flower, but the odor is short lived as is the bloom. It's a huge outlay of energy for the plant's tuber to produce this huge spathe and spadix and it only does this ever 5 years or so in well cultivated plants.
Comment icon #2 Posted by bubblykiss on 29 December, 2015, 21:21
Knowing what I do about the smell, I will stick to the videos. Where I can enjoy the enchanting majesty of nature without the putrid scent.
Comment icon #3 Posted by coolguy on 30 December, 2015, 4:12
Very cool, I would like to see Thai huge flower some day
Comment icon #4 Posted by MissJatti on 30 December, 2015, 9:55
Very cool, I would like to see Thai huge flower some day You mean smell thai huge flower
Comment icon #5 Posted by scottgoh on 31 December, 2015, 2:31
love it; been there.

USS Indianapolis wreck found 70 years on
8-20-2017
The wreckage of a cruiser sank by a Japanese submarine 70 years ago has finally been discovered.
'Apocalyptic' cloud hangs over town in Brazil
8-19-2017
Residents of Teixeira de Freitas were treated to a rather unusual and unnerving spectacle this week.
Mysterious doors appear across Nova Scotia
8-19-2017
The freestanding doors have turned up in several towns, leaving local residents scratching their heads.
Can the Yellowstone supervolcano be stopped ?
8-19-2017
NASA has come up with an ambitious new plan to cool down the supervolcano by using it as an energy source.
The napkin ring problem
Posted 8-20-2017 | 0 comments
Why is it that any two 'napkin rings' cut from any sizes of spherical object will have equal volume ?

Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia