Thursday, October 19, 2017

Only known wild jaguar in US caught on film

Posted on Thursday, 4 February, 2016 | Comment icon 41 comments

The name El Jefe means 'The Boss' in Spanish. Image Credit: YouTube / Conservation CATalyst
The solitary feline, who has been nicknamed El Jefe, was picked up on camera in the Santa Rica Mountains.
Once a common sight across the Southwestern United States, jaguars were driven to the point of extinction back in the 1960s and have now all but disappeared from the wilds of America.

Only around four of five individuals have been spotted in the last 20 years, but now a sole survivor by the name of El Jefe has made a rare appearance on recently recorded trail camera footage.

The majestic animal, which is thought to have been living in mountains north of the Mexican border for over three years, is the only known wild jaguar in the entire United States.

Source: Sky News | Comments (41)

Tags: Jaguar, Cat

Comment icon #32 Posted by Sakari on 7 February, 2016, 3:48
Re read the article. This isnt an occasion to be sad but one to celebrate. The Jaguar is making a comeback! I just hope they do not do what they are doing to Wolves, if it does make a come back. People suck !
Comment icon #33 Posted by Hawkin on 7 February, 2016, 3:49
Good find. I would be glad if the Bigfoot would be captured. The Jaguar was known roaming in Arizona by biologist for some years but just now went public. IF a Bigfoot was confirmed to exist (if it doesn't already) I bet it would be kept discreet for a long time to protect it from Poachers. It might not have been a good idea to confirm a Jaguar is roaming Arizona.
Comment icon #34 Posted by Sakari on 7 February, 2016, 3:53
I don't know how great of an idea it is to help another predator make a comeback. In most places, there just isn't enough game to supply them. Boo hooooo.......Just means less Deer and Elk tags for us people to go kill, leaving enough for them to eat also. And, that is after a long period, as Predators get the weak, injured, and sick first............Please watch below video about reintroduction, and how it helped the entire eco-system.
Comment icon #35 Posted by a vampire wears my boxers on 8 February, 2016, 2:33
How many of them are Drop Bears? There's probably one on each of those major branches... about 20 in that picture alone!! Seriously, my friend's wife came over the other day and her sister moved to Australia, and she SERIOUSLY says Drop Bears are REAL. I tried correcting her that it is a myth told about koalas to scare tourists, and she told me "NO! They aren't koalas, they are bigger and eat meat, not leaves!". I told her to look it up online, but she refused, stating her sister had told her it was true and she fully believed it. She's also one step away from a Young Earth - Flat Earth - Crea... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by qxcontinuum on 8 February, 2016, 5:19
Comment icon #37 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:37
well i've literally heard that boredom kills faster than everything in Ausies land. Yeah, but let's face it, everything you post is refuted. Logan Golf Course - Bull Sharks. Yeah, BULL sharks on a golf course. Boredom? Don't make me laugh, I can tell that you have NEVER been here, we don't get time to get bored.
Comment icon #38 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:38
The Jaguar was known roaming in Arizona by biologist for some years but just now went public. IF a Bigfoot was confirmed to exist (if it doesn't already) I bet it would be kept discreet for a long time to protect it from Poachers. It might not have been a good idea to confirm a Jaguar is roaming Arizona. Bigfoot's sole diet is Jaguar, that is why he is dying out didn't you know. Hey, if you can make up a beast........
Comment icon #39 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:41
I LOVE Vegemite! I haven't had it in years. I'll see if I can find it again. Nectar of the God's it is. AND The world's only edible axle grease!! Who wouldn't love that! I am with you, I love the stuff Fresh toast with butter and Vegemite melting into it - does it get better?
Comment icon #40 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:55
How many of them are Drop Bears? There's probably one on each of those major branches... about 20 in that picture alone!! 1275 species, I think they messed up the quote........ Seriously, my friend's wife came over the other day and her sister moved to Australia, and she SERIOUSLY says Drop Bears are REAL. I tried correcting her that it is a myth told about koalas to scare tourists, and she told me "NO! They aren't koalas, they are bigger and eat meat, not leaves!". I told her to look it up online, but she refused, stating her sister had told her it was true and she fully believed it. She's al... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by Ghostdancer on 11 February, 2016, 12:12
In the Santa Ritas, I do a lot of hiking there, at Madera Canyon.

When you die you are aware that you are dead
10-19-2017
A new study has suggested that the mind can still be active even after the body stops showing signs of life.
Google invents an AI that learns on its own
10-18-2017
The search giant has developed an artificial intelligence capable of learning without human intervention.
Saturn's rings are raining down methane
10-18-2017
NASA has revealed the discovery of methane and other chemicals in the gas giant's upper atmosphere.
48 million-year-old bird fossil unearthed
10-18-2017
A prehistoric species of bird that preened itself like a flamingo has been discovered in Germany.
Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Dog with world's longest tongue
Posted 10-12-2017 | 2 comments
Meet Mochi Rickert - a female St Bernard with a tongue measuring 18.58 cm in length.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland