Monday, February 20, 2017

Only known wild jaguar in US caught on film

Posted on Thursday, 4 February, 2016 | Comment icon 41 comments

The name El Jefe means 'The Boss' in Spanish. Image Credit: YouTube / Conservation CATalyst
The solitary feline, who has been nicknamed El Jefe, was picked up on camera in the Santa Rica Mountains.
Once a common sight across the Southwestern United States, jaguars were driven to the point of extinction back in the 1960s and have now all but disappeared from the wilds of America.

Only around four of five individuals have been spotted in the last 20 years, but now a sole survivor by the name of El Jefe has made a rare appearance on recently recorded trail camera footage.

The majestic animal, which is thought to have been living in mountains north of the Mexican border for over three years, is the only known wild jaguar in the entire United States.

Source: Sky News | Comments (41)

Tags: Jaguar, Cat

Comment icon #32 Posted by Sakari on 7 February, 2016, 3:48
Re read the article. This isnt an occasion to be sad but one to celebrate. The Jaguar is making a comeback! I just hope they do not do what they are doing to Wolves, if it does make a come back. People suck !
Comment icon #33 Posted by Hawkin on 7 February, 2016, 3:49
Good find. I would be glad if the Bigfoot would be captured. The Jaguar was known roaming in Arizona by biologist for some years but just now went public. IF a Bigfoot was confirmed to exist (if it doesn't already) I bet it would be kept discreet for a long time to protect it from Poachers. It might not have been a good idea to confirm a Jaguar is roaming Arizona.
Comment icon #34 Posted by Sakari on 7 February, 2016, 3:53
I don't know how great of an idea it is to help another predator make a comeback. In most places, there just isn't enough game to supply them. Boo hooooo.......Just means less Deer and Elk tags for us people to go kill, leaving enough for them to eat also. And, that is after a long period, as Predators get the weak, injured, and sick first............Please watch below video about reintroduction, and how it helped the entire eco-system.
Comment icon #35 Posted by a vampire wears my boxers on 8 February, 2016, 2:33
How many of them are Drop Bears? There's probably one on each of those major branches... about 20 in that picture alone!! Seriously, my friend's wife came over the other day and her sister moved to Australia, and she SERIOUSLY says Drop Bears are REAL. I tried correcting her that it is a myth told about koalas to scare tourists, and she told me "NO! They aren't koalas, they are bigger and eat meat, not leaves!". I told her to look it up online, but she refused, stating her sister had told her it was true and she fully believed it. She's also one step away from a Young Earth - Flat Earth - Crea... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by qxcontinuum on 8 February, 2016, 5:19
Comment icon #37 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:37
well i've literally heard that boredom kills faster than everything in Ausies land. Yeah, but let's face it, everything you post is refuted. Logan Golf Course - Bull Sharks. Yeah, BULL sharks on a golf course. Boredom? Don't make me laugh, I can tell that you have NEVER been here, we don't get time to get bored.
Comment icon #38 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:38
The Jaguar was known roaming in Arizona by biologist for some years but just now went public. IF a Bigfoot was confirmed to exist (if it doesn't already) I bet it would be kept discreet for a long time to protect it from Poachers. It might not have been a good idea to confirm a Jaguar is roaming Arizona. Bigfoot's sole diet is Jaguar, that is why he is dying out didn't you know. Hey, if you can make up a beast........
Comment icon #39 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:41
I LOVE Vegemite! I haven't had it in years. I'll see if I can find it again. Nectar of the God's it is. AND The world's only edible axle grease!! Who wouldn't love that! I am with you, I love the stuff Fresh toast with butter and Vegemite melting into it - does it get better?
Comment icon #40 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:55
How many of them are Drop Bears? There's probably one on each of those major branches... about 20 in that picture alone!! 1275 species, I think they messed up the quote........ Seriously, my friend's wife came over the other day and her sister moved to Australia, and she SERIOUSLY says Drop Bears are REAL. I tried correcting her that it is a myth told about koalas to scare tourists, and she told me "NO! They aren't koalas, they are bigger and eat meat, not leaves!". I told her to look it up online, but she refused, stating her sister had told her it was true and she fully believed it. She's al... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by Ghostdancer on 11 February, 2016, 12:12
In the Santa Ritas, I do a lot of hiking there, at Madera Canyon.

'Tully monster' mystery continues to endure
2-20-2017
A peculiar prehistoric discovery has left scientists scratching their heads for more than five decades.
Ship set to be deliberately trapped in ice
2-20-2017
Scientists are planning to sail a research vessel to the Arctic so it can get stuck in the ice on purpose.
NASA proposes redefining the word 'planet'
2-20-2017
The move, if successful, could mean that our own solar system actually has more than 100 planets in it.
SpaceX Cape Canaveral launch is a success
2-19-2017
The private space firm has successfully launched a Falcon 9 rocket from NASA's Kennedy Space Center.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
'Spider Boy' contortionist
Posted 2-20-2017 | 2 comments
Teenager Mohammed Alsheikh performed 38 full body spins while maintaining a chest stand.

Slow motion football explosion
Posted 2-19-2017 | 0 comments
What happens when you over-inflate a football ? The Slo Mo Guys investigate.

Long-term space travel and isolation
Posted 2-18-2017 | 1 comment
Not everyone is cut out for the isolation of traveling long distances through space.

Humphead parrotfish
Posted 2-17-2017 | 1 comment
These bizarre-looking 1.5-meter-long fish can use their teeth to turn coral in to a fine sand.

Catching lightning in a bottle
Posted 2-16-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to catch lightning in a bottle ? Adam Savage investigates.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.