Monday, June 27, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Space & Astronomy

New telescope reveals breahtaking nebula

February 14, 2010 | Comment icon 9 comments

Image Credit: VISTA
The European Southern Observatory’s new VISTA telescope has revealed stunning images of the Orion nebula.
The nebula is 1350 light years away from the Earth but because the telescope has a large field of view it is able to take a picture of the whole thing at once.
You’ve undoubtedly seen the smudge of the Orion Nebula hanging just below his belt thousands of times, but the most beautiful image yet of the celestial body was just released Wednesday.

Source: Wired | Comments (9)

Comment icon #1 Posted by Typhoon 13 years ago
IDK but looking at these pictures makes me kind of sad...
Comment icon #2 Posted by danielost 13 years ago
i know a bunch of people look at pics. like this and see a bunch of random gas but i see god's hand at work
Comment icon #3 Posted by witchfinder general 13 years ago
that is absolutely beautiful! just awesome! i dont get sad looking at this, it makes me smile in wonder.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Charpoy Major 13 years ago
My most earnest hope is that in the Afterlife, if there is one, then I want to be a spirit tourist and zap around the Universe for eons before inhabiting another shape in some other world.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Aries1982 13 years ago
It's pictures like this, that keeps my head everywhere but Earth. Amazing!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Bbrown88 13 years ago
IDK but looking at these pictures makes me kind of sad... Me too. I feel sad that we'll never be able to get any closer than this in my lifetime. It's like looking at a beautiful meadow just beyond a chasm with no way to build a bridge.
Comment icon #7 Posted by danielost 13 years ago
Me too. I feel sad that we'll never be able to get any closer than this in my lifetime. It's like looking at a beautiful meadow just beyond a chasm with no way to build a bridge. if you get too close it will disappear. i mean we cant see the nebula that we live in.
Comment icon #8 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: 13 years ago
Ahh, to have a powerful telescope in my hands. I'd be like a little boy discovering the world all over again.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Whisk and Plunger 13 years ago
Breathtaking is certainly the perfect way to describe it

Total Posts: 7,285,072    Topics: 299,711    Members: 197,523