Sunday, January 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

Robot capable of deceit developed

September 12, 2010 | Comment icon 25 comments

Image Credit: sxc.hu
A robot capable of deceitful behaviour has been developed at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
The robot is able to determine whether another robot is susceptible to lies and then takes action to exploit that. It is hoped that the technology could help faciliate the creation of robots that can disarm bombs and carry wounded servicemen from danger.
A new program enables a robot to detect whether another robot is susceptible to lies, and to use its gullibility against it by telling lies, researchers claim.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (25)

Comment icon #16 Posted by Druidus-Logos 12 years ago
I can just see it, the robot waves it's arm (or what passes for it's arm) and says "I am not the droid you are looking for." On a side note, just because they can develop an AI capable of deceit that doesn't mean that all AI's will be programmed with it. I'm pretty sure your toaster won't lie to you and burn your toast just because you wouldn't let it talk to your coffee pot. Awesome, just awesome!
Comment icon #17 Posted by AliveInDeath 12 years ago
Because there aren't enough people to be deceitful..
Comment icon #18 Posted by farandaway 12 years ago
Comment icon #19 Posted by Druidus-Logos 12 years ago
I just hope they won't let it hang out with the computer that can read my mind. LOL How will they then tell if it's telling the truth? By looking into its eyes, or better yet hooking it up to a lie detector? Where is Asimov when we need him? We could just consult which programming paths were taken.
Comment icon #20 Posted by apriltricks 12 years ago
Damnit Druidus, made me think. I have a feeling if AI is created that we're going to have to treat them as equals. Or superiors if they win the war -Trix
Comment icon #21 Posted by odds022 12 years ago
This totally won't become a problem somewhere in the future. Fun times with our robot overlords!
Comment icon #22 Posted by DieChecker 12 years ago
Comment icon #23 Posted by Emin 12 years ago
A robot that lies? Human: "Are you planning to kill off humanity and take over the world?" Robot: "Uh... No!" ahahahaha! lol
Comment icon #24 Posted by Avant 12 years ago
I really hope they don't decide to put all the lastest advances in AI into 1 Robotic system otherwise we are in trouble. We'd be faced with a Super Intelligent, Evolving, Super Strong, Feeling, Lying and Ping Pong playing Robot with some awesome weaponry.
Comment icon #25 Posted by booNyzarC 12 years ago
This is somewhat off-topic... or rather, distantly related... so I apologize up front. Do we actually have any evolving AI? My impression so far is that all AI created is completely simulated. In some cases, quite painstakingly... but still simulated. Is there some higher form of AI that you are referencing that has developed some kind of self awareness and inner capacity for personalized directed learning? (After asking the question I realize that it is somewhat silly... but still will leave the question as is. I've been proven ignorant before and it will happen again without doubt.)

Total Posts: 7,210,772    Topics: 295,724    Members: 195,193