We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Saturday, December 4, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Ancient Mysteries > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Ancient Mysteries

17 lost pyramids discovered in Egypt

May 25, 2011 | Comment icon 34 comments

Image Credit: Nina Aldin Thune
An infra-red satellite survey of Egypt has uncovered over 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements.
The satellite cameras are so powerful that they can pick up objects smaller than 1m on the surface. The newly discovered pyramids have created quite a buzz in archaeological circles. "To excavate a pyramid is the dream of every archaeologist," says Dr Sarah Parcak.
Seventeen lost pyramids are among the buildings identified in a new satellite survey of Egypt. More than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements were also revealed by looking at infra-red images which show up underground buildings.

Source: BBC News | Comments (34)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
23 / 25
We are 92% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #25 Posted by kitco 11 years ago
I think it is so Awsome how we continually surpass all expectations with Archeaology, we are making history with these findings and it is amazing how our past keeps on giving.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Spectre1979 11 years ago
Aye aye Most important that than any dusty mummy with a tomb full of loot The true legacy of the ancient Egyptians is the pyramids Agreed! I always wondered why there weren't more pyramids in Egypt... now I know there were!
Comment icon #27 Posted by third_eye 11 years ago
Agreed! I always wondered why there weren't more pyramids in Egypt... now I know there were! You're not the only one i assure you. It's going to take a long time to really get a clear picture of these new sites though.
Comment icon #28 Posted by third_eye 11 years ago
much apologies people It seems i am having some problem with double posts using my mobile
Comment icon #29 Posted by clfr21 11 years ago
there was a really interesting documentary on bbc1 one last night about the new mapping techniques and what they are hoping to find. Should be able to watch this online- BBCiplayer
Comment icon #30 Posted by Celtiksteel 11 years ago
It's pretty much a no-brainer that more and more things are being discovered "buried".. Thousands of years will do that!
Comment icon #31 Posted by AliveInDeath 11 years ago
Comment icon #32 Posted by Mieuwie 11 years ago
well....its either the previous archeologists contented themselves with what they had to explore in the pyramids of Giza or whatever....or.....world is becoming more mysterious
Comment icon #33 Posted by Spectre1979 11 years ago
My dad thinks aliens gave us modern tech and the pyramids. I think he's nuts-sometimes. I think humans made both. We're capable of more than we give ourselves credit for. Agreed. About the human part... not your dad being nuts! (mind you, all dads are a little crazy!)
Comment icon #34 Posted by abhijit_b 10 years ago
Has anyone watched the recent Curiosity: Egypt - What Lies Beneath? Does is reveal anything more on thi topic?