Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

Apache helicopter drops missile over Texas

May 19, 2012 | Comment icon 19 comments

Image Credit: US Navy
A military chopper accidentally dropped a training missile near the town of Killeen in central Texas.
Up to 100 homes had to be evacuated but luckily nobody was hurt, the missile turned out to be inactive and was being used for training purposes by simulating a real Hellfire missile. An explosives disposal team was still called to the scene as a precaution to retrieve the device.

"Killeen Police Department responded and located the object which was impaled into the surface of the ground," the army said in a statement. "Officials immediately cordoned off the area." An investigation in to how the helicopter managed to drop the missile in the first place is ongoing.
A US Army Apache helicopter accidentally dropped an inactive missile over central Texas, forcing dozens of homes to be evacuated.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (19)

Comment icon #10 Posted by Taun 10 years ago
I shouldn't laugh but with humans if something can go wrong it pretty much will. Could you imagine the Insurance Agents face when the guy told him that a nuclear missile ran over his car?
Comment icon #11 Posted by and then 10 years ago
My father in law was flying in a small aircraft WITH his insurance agent when, upon landing a deer ran in front of the plane and caused it to crash. You can't make this stuff up.
Comment icon #12 Posted by ColoradoParanormal 10 years ago
Comment icon #13 Posted by Eldorado 10 years ago
Ooopppsss! I'm thinking there will be an opening for promotion to captain of this helicopter within the ranks of this unit within the next few days. i was thinking same but not being a military man I don't know what would happen in a case like this. Will they get demoted or just hauled over the coals?
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin 10 years ago
I don't know, but after reading the article I get the impression that the pilot did everything right, but that the launch computer was not properly pre-programmed to enable "test mode-no launch" Sounds more like ground crew failure, but again I have no idea.
Comment icon #15 Posted by ColoradoParanormal 10 years ago
i was thinking same but not being a military man I don't know what would happen in a case like this. Will they get demoted or just hauled over the coals? It all depends on the findings of the investigation. They could be cleared of all wrong doing to administratively reprimanded all the way to discharged, either honorably or dishonorably. edit: typo! I hate typos! lol
Comment icon #16 Posted by Eldorado 10 years ago
It all depends on the findings of the investigation. They could be cleared of all wrong doing to administratively reprimanded all the way to discharged, either honorably or dishonorably. edit: typo! I hate typos! lol Thank you. I hope they were'nt clowning about. that would be the worst finding, imo. (apart from sabotage of course... lol)
Comment icon #17 Posted by King Fluffs 10 years ago
Comment icon #18 Posted by The Unseen 10 years ago
Even worse imagine the "jolt" of the landing messing with the wiring and it "armed" itself, bummer It could not arm itself,it has no war head or propelent,I would have left it there as a show piece and maybe even the criminals would leave my backyard alone.Now I just have to use the one fake one I bought from an army navy store to show,lol
Comment icon #19 Posted by The Unseen 10 years ago
When I read "drops missile over Texas" I got very excited at the thought of someone I dislike dying. Yep know what you mean,I was hopeing It would have landed on a certain house in a certain neighborhood hitting a certain jerk right in the mouth.Even if it was unarmed It would have ended the life of a certain crimminal/lier/tight wad/dead beat/womanizer/child malester/rip off artist/creep/loud mouth. and how I would have liked to take a picture when it did.Bet the whole Pleasent Grove people off of 30 and buckner would have jumped for joy.

Total Posts: 7,314,038    Topics: 300,925    Members: 198,009