Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Bizarre

13-year-old girl hiccups every two seconds

April 4, 2013 | Comment icon 16 comments

Image Credit: sxc.hu
Doctors have been left baffled by the ten-week ordeal of schoolgirl Emily Marsh who can't stop hiccuping.
Emily inexplicably started to hiccup while on her way to a maths class in January and hasn't been able to stop since. The hiccups occur every two seconds and leave her so exhausted that she has to take the afternoon off school every day to rest and recover. Despite conducting a series of tests including x-rays, an MRI scan and an endoscopy, doctors remain baffled by what's causing them.

"I have tried everything - even the spoonful of vinegar. That was horrible - I refused to do it again," she said. "I've tried drinking backwards, holding my breath and people at school have been trying to scare me a lot."
Emily Marsh, 13, started hiccupping on her way to a maths lesson in January and has not stopped since.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (16)

Comment icon #7 Posted by TexasFisherman 9 years ago
I created an account just to comment on this. I had the hiccups for 11 years. It started after drinking to much alcohol. I tried everything, from bottles of pepto, to the vinegar, people even tried scaring me. It wasn't until 10 years after I got them, that I had a near death experience and they suddenly went away. I havn't touched anything fizzy since. Hiccups are the worst torture anyone can go through!
Comment icon #8 Posted by QuiteContrary 9 years ago
When i get hiccups i get them for 2 or 3 days every 5-10 seconds. That's like torture, can't sleep, eat properly, it makes you nauseous. That girl must be going through hell. I get to the point where i have to trigger my gag reflex. It sucks to do and i dread doing it, but it works. After 3 days, you'll do anything. I'm no doctor, but I suffer from a rather severe anxiety disorder, which sometimes manefests itself with various involuntary cyclic spasms. While having these, at the ER, I was given 2mg of Ativan(lorazepam), which is a potent central nervous system depressant, and my spasms stoppe... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by OverSword 9 years ago
Having chronic hiccups is terrible. It happened to a friends husband last year, He had the hiccups for 3 months and was exhausted because he would wake up in the middle of the night from them.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Lava_Lady 9 years ago
I'm no doctor, but I suffer from a rather severe anxiety disorder, which sometimes manefests itself with various involuntary cyclic spasms. While having these, at the ER, I was given 2mg of Ativan(lorazepam), which is a potent central nervous system depressant, and my spasms stopped for the duration of the medications effect. In my case(not saying her's) my cyclic spasms are related to a nervous system dysfunction, as proven by the effectiveness of the CNS depressant on me. The article didn't say, but I wonder if they have tried that as a test. In any event, at such a young age I feel bad for ... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by csspwns 9 years ago
Poor girl. Oh cool she's the same age as me 13.
Comment icon #12 Posted by IamLegend 9 years ago
There was a man who had hiccups for 60 something years. I'll Google it real quick. Charles Osborne was his name. He was born in 1894 and died 1991 at the age of 97. From 1922 to 1990, 68 years, he suffered from hiccups. He hiccuped 40 times a minute and it gradually declined to 20 a minute as he aged finally ceasing about a year before his death.
Comment icon #13 Posted by highdesert50 9 years ago
We try to survive and make the best of it. Thoreau perhaps penned it aptly ... The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation ...
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin 9 years ago
@Pallidin, anxiety and panic can be pure hell/torture. I finally gave in to meds and they helped sooooo much. I live a normal life, well sort of. But I am weaning off now and no rebound yet. Don't know what you take, or if your "weaning-off" is doc supervised(sounds like it is if you're not having rebounds), but I would be careful. For myself I'm on Pristiq, Klonopin and, (as-needed)Ativan. I pressume my anxiety is worse than some other people. But I know that I tried to "self-reduce" the Klonopin because I was on a high, 3x a day dose, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I self-reduced for a fe... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by xsas 9 years ago
There are so many stories of people who have hiccups or sneeze every few seconds. It must be exhausting for the poor individuals. All the basics like eating, sleeping, socializing etc must be so hard to deal with. Poor Kid.
Comment icon #16 Posted by mrkitterman 9 years ago
How do you drink backwards? Do you mean upside down? Because what constitutes backward and forward?