Sunday, January 17, 2021

Scientists probe out-of-body experiences

Posted on Saturday, 8 March, 2014 | Comment icon 30 comments

Is astral projection real ? Image Credit: CC 2.0 Andrew Mason
For the first time a brain scan has revealed what happens when someone is undertaking an 'astral trip'.
Reports of people 'projecting' from their physical selves and being able to view their own body while floating above it have persisted for years, both as part of near-death experiences and through self-initiated 'astral projection' techniques.

While the scientific community at large tends to regard such claims with a significant degree of skepticism, Andra M. Smith and Claude Messierwere from the University of Ottawa decided to conduct their own experiment when they came across a woman who claimed that she could initiate an out-of-body experience at will.
"She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body, lying flat, and rolling along with the horizontal plane," they wrote. "She reported sometimes watching herself move from above but remained aware of her unmoving "real" body."

To learn more about what was happening during these experiences the researchers used an MRI machine to observe her brain while she was projecting. What they found was that the parts of her brain involved in perceiving her physical location and imagining movement appeared to become activated during her experiences.

"The existence of such a case and its presentation raises the possibility that this phenomenon may have a significant incidence but unreported because people do not think this is exceptional," the researchers wrote. "Alternatively, the ability might be present in infancy but is lost without regular practice."

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (30)

Tags: OBE, Astral

Comment icon #21 Posted by Kazahel on 10 March, 2014, 6:13
A simple expierment can validate or disprove this, get someone to read what is written on a piece of paper in an an unreachable place in the room, or one next to it. Com on, would someone do this already!? I beleive it was done once, but only with one person, so and apperently the person was able to read the numbers, but the paper was in a reachable place, so I'm doubful. Needs to be replicated. I've tried astral projecting so many times with no success, would love for it to be real, but I just want the truth. I think you might be talking about this mysterious Miss Z(Charles tart)?. If you act... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Jack_of_Blades on 12 March, 2014, 0:02
Very cool. I've been lucky enough to have a couple powerful OBE's. They can really shake you up and make you see your beliefs from previously unimaginable positions. One when I was thirteen made me start studying the great philosophers and resulted in me becoming agnostic. They really are impossible to explain to someone who hasn't had one. I personally believe it's all self-contained within your mind, but still the power they can have is astonishing. And I think it's down-right criminal that more scientific studies haven't been done on the matter.
Comment icon #23 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 March, 2014, 1:08
i assert that the OOB condition is real. that consciousness can and does frequently leave the physical body. Conscious awareness of the condition can be achieved through a simple suggestion to self before sleep "i'd like to leave my body and maintain consciousness". Try it for 30 days. There's an amazing reality, just 'outside' of this reality. You'll know the difference when it happens, and it's not a dream.
Comment icon #24 Posted by bendigger0 on 12 March, 2014, 1:13
I had one once. The amount of detail you can see is more like being awake than any dream is. Real or not it's certainly a unique experience when you have one. I could even feel things behind the wall, I could feel nails and insulation and even the brick on the other side. I could sense pressure and feel texture but no pain and nearly 20 years later can still recall every detail like it happened yesterday. I slammed pretty hard back into my body and it jerked me awake, kinda similar fashion to if you experience sleep paralysis. I had a few Lucid dreams over the years but even those didn't have ... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by wayne a vanpatten on 26 March, 2014, 10:21
Comment icon #26 Posted by SolarPlexus on 27 March, 2014, 0:33
And everyone said those military psiops were a waste of time! is that mighty boosh?[

Curiosity celebrates 3,000 Martian days on Mars
1-17-2021
NASA has revealed a new panoramic shot in celebration of the long-lived rover's time on the Red Planet.
Bigfoot sighting reported in British Columbia
1-17-2021
A chance sighting of a mysterious biped at the side of the road near Silverton has been making the news this week.
Ancient statue is wearing 'Star Wars' headdress
1-16-2021
The 500-year-old statue of a woman unearthed in Mexico has a surprisingly familiar head ornamentation.
Nearby planet is almost as old as the universe
1-16-2021
Astronomers have identified a nearby extrasolar world that is not only terrestrial in nature, but also ancient.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball