Thursday, April 2, 2020

Rover photographs mystery light on Mars

Posted on Tuesday, 8 April, 2014 | Comment icon 148 comments

Curiosity's snap of the mysterious light. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
NASA's Curiosity rover has managed to capture an image of an anomalous light on the Martian surface.
The strange speck of light appears to be on the ground just below the edge of the foreground terrain and has generated a great deal of interest since the image was published online.

While some believe that the light signifies evidence of intelligent life, others are more skeptical. NBC News reported that the light does not appear on images taken by Curiosity's left-hand camera which suggests it could actually be a fragment of lost data on the image.

An imaging expert at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory believes that this could have been the result of a cosmic ray hit.

Source: News.com.au | Comments (148)

Tags: Curiosity, Mars

Comment icon #139 Posted by Gaden on 16 April, 2014, 20:26
A Second Source of Light detected by the Rover. Curiosity Sol 568. http://www.abovetops...read1007926/pg1 I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever.
Comment icon #140 Posted by badeskov on 17 April, 2014, 0:22
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. I must admit I did too and I read a good portion of the thread. Good grief, it was a tragicomic experience. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #141 Posted by Hida Akechi on 17 April, 2014, 0:24
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. That, sir, made me guffaw quite long and loudly. My sides hurt. Thanks.
Comment icon #142 Posted by DieChecker on 17 April, 2014, 1:25
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. AboveTopSecret used to be a fairly interesting place to read and post, but it is tragic now.
Comment icon #143 Posted by qxcontinuum on 19 April, 2014, 5:38
So much deviation from the main subject...
Comment icon #144 Posted by badeskov on 20 April, 2014, 23:36
AboveTopSecret used to be a fairly interesting place to read and post, but it is tragic now. Never posted, but read a bit. Frankly, now it is a mess, to put it mildly. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #145 Posted by qxcontinuum on 23 April, 2014, 5:54
Comment icon #146 Posted by seeder on 24 April, 2014, 10:49
and another one left uper corner . Strange enough like in all other photos the bright light appears to the lefy uper part of the picture. theres probably a clue in that then
Comment icon #147 Posted by Calibeliever on 24 April, 2014, 14:55
I would have thought a group this intelligent would have moved on directly after learning that the anomoly only appeared in one of two cameras taking the exact same photo.
Comment icon #148 Posted by AZDZ on 24 April, 2014, 17:49
That isn't a new one, qxconn. It the same img linked to back on page one, post 8. http://news.yahoo.co...-143042715.html Is it different from the one linked to by the OP, 'cause that page doesn't work for me.

Robbie Williams: a lifetime of paranormal activity
4-1-2020
The British chart-topper has had a long history of experiences with UFOs and paranormal phenomena.
What are the origins of April Fools' Day ?
4-1-2020
We celebrate it each year by pulling pranks on one another, but nobody is quite sure how it all started.
Is there a scientific explanation for deja vu ?
4-1-2020
Most of us will have experienced deja vu at some point in our lives, but what exactly causes this sensation ?
Astronaut pee could help to build Moon base
3-31-2020
The urine of the first lunar settlers could be used as a construction material to help build new structures.
In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter
2-8-2020 | ON

Mystery brain surgery and JFK
2-7-2020 | Toronto Ontario Canada

I keep bringing spirits home
2-7-2020 | Michigan