Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Rover photographs mystery light on Mars

Posted on Tuesday, 8 April, 2014 | Comment icon 148 comments

Curiosity's snap of the mysterious light. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
NASA's Curiosity rover has managed to capture an image of an anomalous light on the Martian surface.
The strange speck of light appears to be on the ground just below the edge of the foreground terrain and has generated a great deal of interest since the image was published online.

While some believe that the light signifies evidence of intelligent life, others are more skeptical. NBC News reported that the light does not appear on images taken by Curiosity's left-hand camera which suggests it could actually be a fragment of lost data on the image.

An imaging expert at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory believes that this could have been the result of a cosmic ray hit.

Source: News.com.au | Comments (148)

Tags: Curiosity, Mars

Comment icon #139 Posted by Gaden on 16 April, 2014, 20:26
A Second Source of Light detected by the Rover. Curiosity Sol 568. http://www.abovetops...read1007926/pg1 I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever.
Comment icon #140 Posted by badeskov on 17 April, 2014, 0:22
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. I must admit I did too and I read a good portion of the thread. Good grief, it was a tragicomic experience. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #141 Posted by Hida Akechi on 17 April, 2014, 0:24
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. That, sir, made me guffaw quite long and loudly. My sides hurt. Thanks.
Comment icon #142 Posted by DieChecker on 17 April, 2014, 1:25
I followed the link and I followed the conversation, I have to say, with out a doubt, it contains some of the stupidest posters ever. AboveTopSecret used to be a fairly interesting place to read and post, but it is tragic now.
Comment icon #143 Posted by qxcontinuum on 19 April, 2014, 5:38
So much deviation from the main subject...
Comment icon #144 Posted by badeskov on 20 April, 2014, 23:36
AboveTopSecret used to be a fairly interesting place to read and post, but it is tragic now. Never posted, but read a bit. Frankly, now it is a mess, to put it mildly. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #145 Posted by qxcontinuum on 23 April, 2014, 5:54
Comment icon #146 Posted by seeder on 24 April, 2014, 10:49
and another one left uper corner . Strange enough like in all other photos the bright light appears to the lefy uper part of the picture. theres probably a clue in that then
Comment icon #147 Posted by Calibeliever on 24 April, 2014, 14:55
I would have thought a group this intelligent would have moved on directly after learning that the anomoly only appeared in one of two cameras taking the exact same photo.
Comment icon #148 Posted by AZDZ on 24 April, 2014, 17:49
That isn't a new one, qxconn. It the same img linked to back on page one, post 8. http://news.yahoo.co...-143042715.html Is it different from the one linked to by the OP, 'cause that page doesn't work for me.

Scientists are developing bouncy pavements
2-17-2020
A novel new type of rubber pavement being trialled in Sweden could help to save thousands of lives.
Ice makes strange sounds in bizarre new video
2-17-2020
Dropping a chunk of ice down a 450ft borehole can produce weird sounds resembling cartoon ricochets.
Arrokoth rewrites theory of planet formation
2-17-2020
New Horizons' encounter with a Kuiper belt object has turned what we know of planet formation on its head.
Live tree frog is found inside a green pepper
2-16-2020
An unsuspecting amphibian recently found itself at the center of a very peculiar mystery in Quebec, Canada.
The babysitter
2-8-2020 | ON

Mystery brain surgery and JFK
2-7-2020 | Toronto Ontario Canada

I keep bringing spirits home
2-7-2020 | Michigan