Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Palaeontology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Palaeontology

World's biggest dinosaur found in Argentina

May 17, 2014 | Comment icon 25 comments

The new species lived up to 100 million years ago. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Gerhard Boeggemann
Palaeontologists believe that they have uncovered the largest dinosaur to have ever walked the Earth.
Weighing in at 77 tons and measuring up to 40m in length, the newly discovered species is believed to be a relative of the titanosaur. It was found after a farm worker unearthed a treasure trove of fossilized bones in the desert lands of La Flecha to the west of Trelew.

"Given the size of these bones, which surpass any of the previously known giant animals, the new dinosaur is the largest animal known that walked on Earth," the research team stated.
"Its length, from its head to the tip of its tail, was 40m. Standing with its neck up, it was about 20m high - equal to a seven-storey building."

The newly discovered behemoth is thought to have lived in the prehistoric forests of Patagonia between 95 and 100 million years ago.

Source: Independent | Comments (25)

Comment icon #16 Posted by Timonthy 8 years ago
Saw this on the news earlier tonight. I was like: "Omg. I can't believe they're still finding things." It makes me smile. I love the new dinosaur! Well if it makes you smile; in reality we will never find everything From: http://en.wikipedia....bers_of_species I think the estimates are conservative
Comment icon #17 Posted by Parsec 8 years ago
[...] I didn't heard any news which i am expecting for a longtime,that is a 200 tonne plus Dino beating the Blue Whale's record.I hope i hear that news before i die. Well, the Blue Whale lives in the water, that behemoth should have walked on earth, so maybe it's difficult to see your hope come true. Anyway, as you pointed out in another post, so far we have only bone fragments, so who knows!
Comment icon #18 Posted by Parsec 8 years ago
Well if it makes you smile; in reality we will never find everything From: http://en.wikipedia....bers_of_species I think the estimates are conservative And that counts only for the natural world: more or less at least 80% of what lies underground archaeologically is still to be discovered
Comment icon #19 Posted by DigitalDreamer 8 years ago
Well, the Blue Whale lives in the water, that behemoth should have walked on earth, so maybe it's difficult to see your hope come true. Anyway, as you pointed out in another post, so far we have only bone fragments, so who knows! Blue whales are far less impressive in my opinion, water to sustain their weigh is what makes people think they're the 'largest' when in reality.A few sauropods certainly have more dimensional space when taken into account their vertebrae outstretch a considerable amount more than the mammal.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Parsec 8 years ago
Blue whales are far less impressive in my opinion, water to sustain their weigh is what makes people think they're the 'largest' when in reality.A few sauropods certainly have more dimensional space when taken into account their vertebrae outstretch a considerable amount more than the mammal. Points of view DigitalDreamer: Surely swimming in water takes some of the "fun" away, but if you consider that one of their fins is long more or less like the height of a T-Rex, that's something! Anyway, we were talking about weight in this case, not lenght. I agree with you that, after all, maybe some an... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by PersonFromPorlock 8 years ago
Eww... the last thing I saw that was anything like that was a candidate for 'World's Biggest Hoagie'. On a caraway-seed roll.
Comment icon #22 Posted by paperdyer 8 years ago
Godzilla has beeen found! or Gojira if you prefer.Anyway you slice it, it's a great find.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Calibeliever 8 years ago
Awesome
Comment icon #24 Posted by DigitalDreamer 8 years ago
Points of view DigitalDreamer: Surely swimming in water takes some of the "fun" away, but if you consider that one of their fins is long more or less like the height of a T-Rex, that's something! Anyway, we were talking about weight in this case, not lenght. I agree with you that, after all, maybe some animals were more impressive than a Blue Whale: the Jaekelopterus or the Arthropleura or even the Meganeuropsis Permiana When gravity is taken into account it just seems like more a feat being alive with all that,ya know
Comment icon #25 Posted by coolguy 8 years ago
There a pic of this in my local paper of the Femur bone its bigger then the guy here I found it http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2014/05/19/huge-femur-argentina-could-that-biggest-dinosaur-yet/ef25BxkdNsuK8BiCHmFe0L/story.html