Thursday, May 26, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

Can a drone walk your dog for you ?

May 23, 2014 | Comment icon 19 comments

Would you let a drone walk your dog ? Image Credit: Vimeo / Jeff Meyers
A future in which automated drones can perform everyday tasks might not be as far away as you think.
Drones have been gaining in prominence lately with applications ranging from recording aerial footage to delivering parcels from Amazon. As these devices get smaller, cheaper and more sophisticated it may not be long before owning a drone might not be any more unusual than owning a car.

To help demonstrate such a future, videographer Jeff Myers decided to put together a video showing a drone being used to undertake a common task that millions of us face on a daily basis.
Myers programmed the drone to go on a specific route around his neighborhood with his well-behaved Golden Retriever in tow. "Goldens are really well-trained and I think she was freaked out enough by what was happening that she just went along with it," he said.

"The long-term vision was, what if we could make every part of Manhattan have a bike lane and a dog lane - and then you'd have these drones tied to them who could go walk your dog to your mother who lives on the Upper West Side. Wouldn't that be cool ?"

Source: IB Times | Comments (19)

Comment icon #10 Posted by DieChecker 8 years ago
I like how kids look over at the drone walking the dog, but they don't stop. They kind of go, humm... ok. And move on.
Comment icon #11 Posted by GreenmansGod 8 years ago
My chihuahua would pull that out of the sky no problem. She can pull like a husky. Stupid idea. What happens when they meet up with a dog they don't like and get in a fight. Then there a lots of wonderful people looking for a dogs to steal for fighting and train fighting dogs. I like walking my dog and it is good for me. I'll pass on that little toy.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Ryu 8 years ago
Instead of getting a drone to walk your dog, why don't you just ask your dog to walk itself?! Because people have gotten lazier as time goes by. I have seen people drive their cars at low speeds while walking their dog..and they are not disabled either. Pets are not some decorative, household accessory, they are living beings with whom you share your home and life with and if someone cannot comprehend that then they do not deserve the companionship of a pet. P.S: Ashyne..I really like your avatar. It is so cute.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Paranomali 8 years ago
I imagine my pug just running in circles getting all tangled up and ending up in a bush somewhere. I'd never use this if it became available.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Sakari 8 years ago
lastly anyone who has a dog and cant be bothered to walk it themselves, and love it, doesn't deserve it in the first place Amen to that.
Comment icon #15 Posted by lightly 8 years ago
A drone has to be controlled by someone? It's not as if a drone can do it all by 'itself" ? Also, a drone in the air has nothing to hang on to .. a dog could drag it along wherever it decided to GO. So, No, a drone can't walk the dog for you.
Comment icon #16 Posted by DieChecker 8 years ago
I suspect something like ASIMO could be programmed to walk the dog. For the smaller dogs anyway. Maybe even a strong chiwahwah might be to much for ASIMO however. I don't know how much it weighs or how strong it is. Or maybe Boston Dynamics' (of Big Dog fame) robot Atlas?
Comment icon #17 Posted by mysticwerewolf 8 years ago
my friend to the left would come back from where ever he is and bite me if I had a drone walk the dog
Comment icon #18 Posted by JGirl 8 years ago
how about if the drone does all my household chores and i'll go enjoy a walk with the dog?
Comment icon #19 Posted by bigjonalien 8 years ago
How will it pick up the dog crap?

Total Posts: 7,268,053    Topics: 298,948    Members: 197,035