Thursday, April 19, 2018

Can a drone walk your dog for you ?

Posted on Friday, 23 May, 2014 | Comment icon 19 comments

Would you let a drone walk your dog ? Image Credit: Vimeo / Jeff Meyers
A future in which automated drones can perform everyday tasks might not be as far away as you think.
Drones have been gaining in prominence lately with applications ranging from recording aerial footage to delivering parcels from Amazon. As these devices get smaller, cheaper and more sophisticated it may not be long before owning a drone might not be any more unusual than owning a car.

To help demonstrate such a future, videographer Jeff Myers decided to put together a video showing a drone being used to undertake a common task that millions of us face on a daily basis.

Myers programmed the drone to go on a specific route around his neighborhood with his well-behaved Golden Retriever in tow. "Goldens are really well-trained and I think she was freaked out enough by what was happening that she just went along with it," he said.

"The long-term vision was, what if we could make every part of Manhattan have a bike lane and a dog lane - and then you'd have these drones tied to them who could go walk your dog to your mother who lives on the Upper West Side. Wouldn't that be cool ?"

Source: IB Times | Comments (19)

Tags: Dog, Drone

Comment icon #10 Posted by DieChecker on 23 May, 2014, 19:33
I like how kids look over at the drone walking the dog, but they don't stop. They kind of go, humm... ok. And move on.
Comment icon #11 Posted by GreenmansGod on 23 May, 2014, 19:37
My chihuahua would pull that out of the sky no problem. She can pull like a husky. Stupid idea. What happens when they meet up with a dog they don't like and get in a fight. Then there a lots of wonderful people looking for a dogs to steal for fighting and train fighting dogs. I like walking my dog and it is good for me. I'll pass on that little toy.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Ryu on 23 May, 2014, 20:27
Instead of getting a drone to walk your dog, why don't you just ask your dog to walk itself?! Because people have gotten lazier as time goes by. I have seen people drive their cars at low speeds while walking their dog..and they are not disabled either. Pets are not some decorative, household accessory, they are living beings with whom you share your home and life with and if someone cannot comprehend that then they do not deserve the companionship of a pet. P.S: Ashyne..I really like your avatar. It is so cute.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Paranomali on 24 May, 2014, 1:30
I imagine my pug just running in circles getting all tangled up and ending up in a bush somewhere. I'd never use this if it became available.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Sakari on 24 May, 2014, 11:07
lastly anyone who has a dog and cant be bothered to walk it themselves, and love it, doesn't deserve it in the first place Amen to that.
Comment icon #15 Posted by lightly on 24 May, 2014, 11:57
A drone has to be controlled by someone? It's not as if a drone can do it all by 'itself" ? Also, a drone in the air has nothing to hang on to .. a dog could drag it along wherever it decided to GO. So, No, a drone can't walk the dog for you.
Comment icon #16 Posted by DieChecker on 24 May, 2014, 17:01
I suspect something like ASIMO could be programmed to walk the dog. For the smaller dogs anyway. Maybe even a strong chiwahwah might be to much for ASIMO however. I don't know how much it weighs or how strong it is. Or maybe Boston Dynamics' (of Big Dog fame) robot Atlas?
Comment icon #17 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 25 May, 2014, 2:24
my friend to the left would come back from where ever he is and bite me if I had a drone walk the dog
Comment icon #18 Posted by JGirl on 25 May, 2014, 2:36
how about if the drone does all my household chores and i'll go enjoy a walk with the dog?
Comment icon #19 Posted by bigjonalien on 29 May, 2014, 6:47
How will it pick up the dog crap?

Artist can draw entire cities from memory
4-18-2018
Stephen Wiltshire, who was diagnosed with autism at the age of three, is one of the world's most skilled artists.
Plants have a unique way of avoiding sunburn
4-18-2018
A new study has revealed that plants protect themselves from Sun damage by repairing their own DNA.
Orion will use over 100 3D-printed components
4-18-2018
Several parts of NASA's deep-space Orion capsule will be created through the use of 3D printing technology.
Meteorite filled with diamonds found in Sudan
4-17-2018
A meteorite that crashed in the Nubian Desert has offered a glimpse of our solar system's earliest days.
Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Do fish talk to each other ?
Posted 4-10-2018 | 11 comments
Fish might seem silent, but in actual fact they make a wide range of different sounds.

The great Jaffa Cake debate
Posted 4-8-2018 | 4 comments
Revisiting the age-old question - is the humble Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit ?

Exploring the toxic depths
Posted 4-5-2018 | 1 comment
Scientists are using special robots to explore hidden ecosystems on the seafloor.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA